TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Marc Stein is reporting a three-way deal of Rafer Alston to Orlando, Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook to Houston, and a first-round pick to Memphis from Orlando.

Celtics swap Patrick O'Bryant for Will Soloman. Surely this is the final piece to a second championship.

I'm disappointed that Kevin Pritchard held onto the Raef Lafrentz contract. He had the single most valuable trade chip in this market and he sat on his hands. He's been a great GM so far, but I hope he doesn't come down with John Paxson syndrome.

Also, Cleveland: why didn't they part with Wally Z? I know they are good enough to win a title as is, but one more more move could have put them over the top. A reliable post scorer or wing could have locked up titles for the next two seasons.

Latest rumor to pop up is Nate Robinson and Jared Jeffries to the Kings for Kenny Thomas. Another "clear money for 2010" deal for the Knicks.

Glad this didn't go through. Jeffries is going to be making around 6 million in 2011, so it's not like he's going to be impossible to trade. No reason to trade Nate because of him.

I don't know how much validity there was to that rumour, but it worries me a little that the Knicks might be thinking they can't keep both Lee and Robinson after the season. It would be a PR disaster to let Nate go, he has to be the most popular guy on the team right now and our most exciting player. He's definitely a guy who sells tickets and jerseys, and as my favorite Knicks player personally I would hate to see him leave New York.

I like the trades Walsh made today. Definitely makes us stronger for a playoff run and it's a wash as far as cap space goes come 2010. Wilcox if he's in run and gun shape should be a good fit and gives the team some needed size. Hughes I'm not as sure about as I haven't really seen him play in a couple years and don't know how much he has left, and he's a streaky shooter which worries me a little since he'll always have a green light, but if he's on he's a decent playmaker and slasher who'll get some steals playing the passing lanes, and all of that are things that this team can use out of the 2 spot.

Amare Stoudemire has a detached retina. He's going to miss the rest of the regular season. (Link) Bet he didn't see that one coming.

Suns ownership probably wishes that they would have made a deal now. What a downer for a franchise that had their first glimmer of hope after two Clipper beatdowns under new coach Alvin Gentry.

In other news, Kevin Garnett is heading back to Boston to have an MRI on his knee. No one knows the severity of the injury yet, but it doesn't look real good on the surface.

In post trade deadline news, Mikki Moore has been bought out by the Kings and Joe Smith has asked for his from the Thunder. Both would be in consideration as bench help for the Celtics and Cavs.

With McGrady and Amare done for the rest of the regular season, I hope the Jazz can improve their rank in the standings/playoff position. Boozer will be back very soon, and Williams and Kirilenko have gotten over their injuries. Call me a homer, but I think that the only two teams in contention in the west that they can't beat are Lakers and Spurs.

With Amare gone, I think the Suns will be the 9th wheel in the West. The Rockets shouldn't be underestimated with Artest and Yao. I don't think they're a contender, but they're not substantially worse than any of the non-SA/LAL teams (and just because life is ironic, I could see this Rockets team finally being the one to get out of the first round).

Guest Czech please!

Man, between Steve Kerr and John Paxson...yikes. I wonder if Toni Kukoc is off making team-destroying personnel moves in some Croatian league.

Guest Czech please!

Wow. I had no idea he was even ill. I can tell he really put his heart into the Utah Jazz, but he also put his heart into being a shithead Mormon who banned Brokeback Mountain and black sitcoms from his respective theater and television ventures. Oh well.

In his defense, Brokeback Mountain and UPN did kinda suck, though.

Guest Czech please!

Well I was just counting white Jordan sidekicks. I think Jordan himself periodically forgets he has that job.

I hope the Celtics can rebound from Garnett's knee injury. I thought they may make a big trade. Perhaps they were content with the 1 title? Perhaps they're content with 17 and want the Lakers to play catchup (even though LA has a bit to go to actually catch them)?? It certainly seems that way right now.

Why can't anyone I hate every get injured? *grumble*

And were the Suns really being held down that much? They've gone crazy in the last 3 games. Then again, it was against the Clippers and Thunder.

I'm not surprised that the Suns are going bat-shit crazy.... Steve Kerr (another one on the Jordan sidekick tree) I think came to his senses and stopped trying to make the Suns a half-court team and fired Terry Porter... I think Porter would have better served to stay in Detroit as the head coach, but I don;t know....

And speaking of the Pistons, I think we are watching them starting to tank the season to get into the lottery. Iverson and Wallace are coming off the books next season, might as well go for broke.

Garnett should be out 2-3 weeks with a knee strain which means Boston will probably end up as either the 2 or 3 seed in the East which means they'd have to play Orlando and then against Cleveland without the home court advantage to make it back to the NBA Finals.

They were also 7 games better than every other team in the league last year. Right now, they're a 1/2 game behind Cleveland and only 2 up on Orlando for 3rd.

Apparently, Chris Mihm's trade from the Lakers came off the heels of him punching DJ Mbenga in the face in practice.