TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

When what happens backstage/IRL ruins a match/angle for you.

Ok when I watch a match or angle I try to separate the person from the character they are playing but, there times were you have trouble watching cause of something the wrestler has done in real life or there is backstage problems and it's showing up in the final product. So what are those moments for you

When Steve Austin came back to the WWE after all the trouble with hitting his ex-wife. Austin, who's a face, gave Stacy Keibler a stunner because she didn't like the taste of beer. That's it. And then JR, who will damn anyone who hits woman, makes excuses for Austin cause "that's just how he is." Right. And then the following week Stacy has learned the error of her ways and drinks the beer.

Another Austin one was when he came back to the WWE after leaving the first time cause he got the storyline he wanted. And what was that storyline? Him pissing on Arn Anderson. Ok then.

Now I can watch a Chris Benoit match. But, I still have a hard time watching his post match WM XX win with Eddie Guerrero and his wife and kid.

When Steve Austin came back to the WWE after all the trouble with hitting his ex-wife. Austin, who's a face, gave Stacy Keibler a stunner because she didn't like the taste of beer. That's it. And then JR, who will damn anyone who hits woman, makes excuses for Austin cause "that's just how he is." Right. And then the following week Stacy has learned the error of her ways and drinks the beer.

That one bothers me regardless of any real life situations.

I can't recall any really. If it's bothersome, then it is on its own merits.

I don't know if this counts, but the crowd absolutely shitting on Lesnar/Goldberg during Wrestlemania XX had to have ruined it for some people who weren't aware that both men were leaving.

Still, the dynamic of that match is awesome just for the train-wreck aspect.

That one bothers me regardless of any real life situations.

I can't recall any really. If it's bothersome, then it is on its own merits.

I would have to agree. Everything about those segments were both embarrassing and stupid, no matter what was going on in Austin's personal life.

I'd have to say when Vince McMahon was "killed" in a limo explosion on The Draft Show Raw 2 years ago, then on the subsequent SD, they had various wrestlers "remembering" Vince like tribute shows the previous several years when Brian Pillman, Owen Hart, and Eddie Guerrero, died in real life.

I'd have to say when Vince McMahon was "killed" in a limo explosion on The Draft Show Raw 2 years ago, then on the subsequent SD, they had various wrestlers "remembering" Vince like tribute shows the previous several years when Brian Pillman, Owen Hart, and Eddie Guerrero, died in real life.

That was disgraceful enough on it's own even disregarding the irony of the timing with Benoit. Sorry if that's a mouthful, but I don't know how to phrase it without it sounding like "The timing of Chris Benoit's murder-suicide was just terrible!"

So am I officially now the only guy who can't watch a Chris Benoit match?

No, I can't bring myself to do it either.

For me it's strange. It depends on the match and I don't know why. I can't bring myself to watch his matches at WrestleMania XX or 23, but there are others that I can sit through without any problems (i.e. vs. Steve Austin from May 2001). I guess the closer the match is to his "outburst," the harder it is to take.

Wimps. It ain't like he killed one of your family members. Damn.

Well, I wouldn’t call anyone who can’t watch a Benoit match a wimp b/c I understand their position. However, I still watch his matches and it doesn’t bother me in the least.

I was being facetious about the wimps part, but I still don't have a reason not to watch any of Benoit's matches. As much as I love wrestling, no one wrestler is going to affect me that much.

The only one that bothered me a bit was the post WMXX Backlash in Edmonton. Besides that, no big problem.

Yeah, that's the same with me. I popped it in a few months back to see Orton and Foley, completely forgetting that Nancy and Daniel were in attendance. They had this one camera shot of them that was kinda depressing, but other than that, it's not that much different from watching anyone else who's passed.

I've watched Benoit matches without a problem, but I haven't tried putting in the Hard Knocks documentary again yet, so I dunno if I'd watch that without a problem or not.

I'm not sure that 'murder is cool if you don't actually know the victim' is a viable philosophy.

That's not what my point is. People watch football even though Ray Lewis murdered somebody. I'm not gonna get all emotional because some overrated prick decided to take his family and himself out.

I think you're confusing 'emotional' with 'not dismissing brutally killing his own child and tying up his wife and murdering her, just because he could work the pro wrestling circuit very well.'

I could probably watch Benoit's matches, I'm just not going to go out of my way in order to do so. Which I guess means I'll never watch one again since WWE doesn't show his stuff anymore.

I should probably just throw away my Hard Knocks DVD.

I think you're confusing 'emotional' with 'not dismissing brutally killing his own child and tying up his wife and murdering her, just because he could work the pro wrestling circuit very well.'

I couldn't care less about his wrestling career. I'm not one of those people who is justifying watching his matches just because he was a great wrestler. Of course it was a horrible thing he did, and I'm probably one of the most compassionate men you'll ever meet (hard to believe because of this thread, I know), but if Orton did the same thing, or HHH did the same thing, etc... I still wouldn't be affected.

I'm not sure that 'murder is cool if you don't actually know the victim' is a viable philosophy.

That's not what my point is. People watch football even though Ray Lewis murdered somebody. I'm not gonna get all emotional because some overrated prick decided to take his family and himself out.

Ray Lews didn't kill anybody.

Oddly enough, I just watched Benoit's dvd today. It honestly doesn't come to me as more than an afterthought. But then again, I never thought of him as more than a wrestler anyway.

This sums up my feelings towards it.

Ray Lews didn't kill anybody.

Nor did OJ.

Was Benoit ever convicted?

Ray Lewis didn't kill the guy, he pled guilty to a much lesser charge, they couldn't make the murder charge stick.

I watched Benoit v. Angle leading up the RR and it didn't really effect me. I can certainly understand why someone wouldn't want to watch a Benoit match. The guy did kill his kid with his finishing hold, which is pretty messed up