TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

2009 Oscar prediction contest

See I don't think I'd put any of the Best Picture nominees this year in my personal top five of '08. Slumdog and maybe Milk would be in my top ten.

Milk, Slumdog and Button were in my top 10, but none were in my top 5. That said, Slumdog was fantastic and a deserving choice.

I heard an interview with Jeffrey Lyons the film critic. He stated that Slumdog was supposed to be direct to dvd. Does anybody have the story about this?

Yes, that's true. The movie was supposed to be distributed by Warner Independent, but they were closed down, and the film was going to be sent to DVD just to get it off the books. But Fox Searchlight stepped in and acquired it.

Is Mickey the first actor to nearly win every other award for one performance, just to lose the big one?

Penn won the SAG award, which was kind of foreshadowing that he might win

I wanted the Penn/Rourke race to be a swerve and go to Frank Langella. I thought he was great as Nixon. Alas...

Then have Jericho run out and taunt Rourke and nonsensically start shouting, "It was me Mickey! It was me ALL ALOOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGGG!"

I wanted the Penn/Rourke race to be a swerve and go to Frank Langella. I thought he was great as Nixon. Alas...

I haven't seen the movie...but did it have to be made? Despite strong performances (from what I hear) was that a story people were dying to hear again?

I think we've had this thread but my top five (in no particular order) for you King Kamala fans out there; The Dark Knight, The Wrestler, Wall-E, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and Bigger, Stronger, Faster *.

I'm really behind on '08 movies. Still haven't seen two of The Best Picture nominees (Benjamin Button and The Reader), Gran Torino, The Visitor, Frozen River, Happy-Go-Lucky, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, In Bruges, Man On Wire and Revolutionary Road. Damn- not having a movie theater within a twenty minute drive sucks balls. I'm really slipping compared to the last two or three years.

Is Mickey the first actor to nearly win every other award for one performance, just to lose the big one?

Penn won the SAG award, which was kind of foreshadowing that he might win

Yep, Once I saw that Penn won that award I knew that Rourke was in trouble.

Honestly, I don't care how iconoclastic this is to say on a wrestling board, but Sean Penn deserved that Oscar just as much as Rourke did. I was pulling for Rourke to win, but Penn was exceptional too and was a close second. If Brad Pitt had won I would have been pissed, but I can live with this, whatever.

I haven't seen the movie...but did it have to be made? Despite strong performances (from what I hear) was that a story people were dying to hear again?

If you're referring to Frost/Nixon, then yes. The complications and stakes behind the trio of interviews is a pretty interesting and unknown, story.

I'm not really sure what you mean - no movies 'have to be made'. It was a great movie though. Unless people saw the play, which i hadn't even heard of until the movie came out, i'm not sure how they are hearing the story 'again'.

Most of this didn't surprise me at all right down to Penn over Rourke. Once the "Mickey at WM" rumors started there was no way he was winning so in that regard he basically screwed himself. Even Penn tonight put him over as if to say "Sorry dude, I probably don't deserve this."

The sad part of this is that some will say Rourke will have another day or that he's back. This was his day. He's more likely to drift into B movies again than he is to sustain a leading man career.

Yeah, are the Frost/Nixon interviews really all that well known among people under the age of 35? I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about U.S. history and I hadn't really about them all that much outside of reading reviews of the play and seeing the SNL spoof of them with Dan Aykroyd and Eric Idle on the Season 2 set.

Yeah, are the Frost/Nixon interviews really all that well known among people under the age of 35? I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about U.S. history and I hadn't really about them all that much outside of reading reviews of the play and seeing the SNL spoof of them with Dan Aykroyd and Eric Idle on the Season 2 set.

Yea, I didn't know anything about the Frost interviews until I heard about the play on Broadway

Yeah, geez did Sean Penn shit in your cereal? I know he's an asshole but yeesh. I wonder if there'd be the same reaction towards Richard Jenkins if he'd been the one to beat Rourke!

Naw, it's not possible to hate on Richard Jenkins. The Academy totally snubbed him for his role as the very attractive in a way that I can't explain ATF agent tripping on acid in Flirting With Disaster!

I knew about the Frost/Nixon interviews because of a Political Science class I took where the teacher showed some of it. I kind of thought Nixon's "if the President does it it's not illegal" was like a pretty famous quote, though. I guess I'm wrong?