TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

2009 Oscar prediction contest

But check it mang, I be knowing where dat bitchass teddy bear bob be coming from.

He be all like (in a nerdy white guy voice a la Comicview): "You are attacking us for our personal tastes, not the movies and television series themselves."

And Czech be all like (in a nerdy white guy voice a la Def Comedy Jam): "You complain about movies in this folder all time that other people like. How am I to blame?"

And we all fall down.

I was gonna post what Kamala posted.

In this folder, all you seem to do is walk into threads and make sure to post how stupid the topic being discussed and then walk out. It's trolling at this point

I think Czech makes some very good points, he just goes about making them in the wrong way. I'd genuinely like to hear more of what he likes to say instead of him just waltzing in once every other month to try and kill whatever the buzz is in this folder.

In this folder, all you seem to do is walk into threads and make sure to post how stupid the topic being discussed and then walk out. It's trolling at this point

I think Czech makes some very good points, he just goes about making them in the wrong way. I'd genuinely like to hear more of what he likes to say instead of him just waltzing in once every other month to try and kill whatever the buzz is in this folder.

Yea, it'd be better if he tried to actually discuss the topic at hand instead of wandering into TDK thread going lol Batman and Heath Ledger and just coming off like an ass.

Yea, it'd be better if he tried to actually discuss the topic at hand instead of wandering into TDK thread going lol Batman and Heath Ledger and just coming off like an ass.

Maye you guys could actually address the points he made instead of just calling him a smarmy elitist asshole? Otherwise you're doing essentially the same thing you accuse him of doing.

Maye you guys could actually address the points he made instead of just calling him a smarmy elitist asshole? Otherwise you're doing essentially the same thing you accuse him of doing.

He didn't make any points with his original post, he was just being a douche.

Personally I agree with Czech to a point. This awards year has been the worst since the ones with the first two LOTR movies in terms of online whining regarding the Oscars "snubbing" internet fanboy mark jerkoff movies.

Now, I'm not saying The Dark Knight sucked or Heath Ledger was the worst winner ever, or anything even close to that. I thought it was a very good film and Ledger did an excellent job with his character, but both are getting overrated at this point and I'm tired of Ledger being the new Kurt Cobain. I was hoping Robert Downey Jr would win, and not just because it would have pissed off the TDK marks, but I really think he put in one of the best performances of the year, and did so in a challenging role that could easily have been a disaster and opened him up to all sorts of personal attacks.

Yes, I wanted Heath Ledger to win because I am a fan of Batman and a fan of TDK and I'm happy that he has won all of these awards. I see nothing wrong with being happy for his successes. It's like someone with their favorite wrestler or sports team in their avatar or sig and celebrating when they win a championship. I have had The Joker in my avatar before it was even hinted that the Joker would be in TDK (before Batman Begins even). I ignore Czech (and it's a shame that you cannot put him on ignore) everytime he makes a comment because quite frankly he is not worth the seconds it takes to hit the reply button and type out something and the only reason he does act like an asshole is to lower people's self esteem and I think it makes him feel better about himself. That is all I will say on the matter.

I think thus 4hartthreat guy won the contest.

I don't know who he is though...so I'm disqualifying him and crowning myself the victor.

4hart got 16, I think I got 14.

It looks like 4hartthreat got 18 of the 24, beating my 17. I demand edit logs. Anyway, I lose because of the Penn BS.

It's just too bad we didn't get to hear this.

That speech was all kinds of awesome, but the highlight was definitely when he says the line about "banging a girl in the ass" and the camera cuts to Anne Hathaway. Definitely intentional.

Personally I agree with Czech to a point. This awards year has been the worst since the ones with the first two LOTR movies in terms of online whining regarding the Oscars "snubbing" internet fanboy mark jerkoff movies.

Now, I'm not saying The Dark Knight sucked or Heath Ledger was the worst winner ever, or anything even close to that. I thought it was a very good film and Ledger did an excellent job with his character, but both are getting overrated at this point and I'm tired of Ledger being the new Kurt Cobain. I was hoping Robert Downey Jr would win, and not just because it would have pissed off the TDK marks, but I really think he put in one of the best performances of the year, and did so in a challenging role that could easily have been a disaster and opened him up to all sorts of personal attacks.

I was rooting for Ledger if only to screw Robert Downey out of the award for his bitter "fuck DC comics, I need a college education to understand the Dark Knight" interview comments. No, Downey. How about fuck you?

You know, I actually agree with most of the points that Czech made in this particular thread. Especially regarding award shows being extremely masturbatory and not worth getting worked up over. Awards shouldn't validate your taste. But I don't know- it's almost impossible to be able to tell tone via internet message board postings but Czech seems awfully condescending in this folder and unwilling to open himself up to debate. Czech manages to balance being an ass and providing insight in virtually every other one of the non-wrestling folders, I don't see why he can't do that in this one.

Kamala again hits the nail on the head.

It's just nice to see deserving people win awards and be honoured for their excellent work. And yes, Ledger only got nominated and won because he died, but it's still nice to see him recognised.

I don't know...I wouldn't have been surprised if he had got nominated if he was still alive but I certainly don't think he would have won.

Honestly, I was kind of rooting for Michael Shannon even if I still haven't seen Revolutionary Road. He's one of my favorite actors working today. Would have been nice to see him get some love.

Speaking of him, I totally forgot Shotgun Stories when mentioning the best movies of the year. That's easily in My Top Five, probably just below The Wrestler and The Dark Knight.

Shotgun Stories actually came out in 2007.

I loved all the nominees in that category, there wasn't a WTF nominee in the bunch. I was very happy that they nominated Shannon, he's the best part of Rev Road

Guest Czech please!
Yes, I wanted Heath Ledger to win because I am a fan of Batman and a fan of TDK and I'm happy that he has won all of these awards. I see nothing wrong with being happy for his successes. It's like someone with their favorite wrestler or sports team in their avatar or sig and celebrating when they win a championship.

No it isn't. That's a bad analogy to make. That's throwing out the whole notion of sports being an objective achievement and film awards being subjective. I don't "root" for movies. I like certain movies, but I don't care whether they win things or not. How does that affect your enjoyment of a given film? It's a line of thinking I just don't get. Sports and art are different things, man. As for his "successes," I'd say they're somewhat mitigated from dying of drug abuse. Even he doesn't care if he wins awards. He's dead!

I'm with Czech, the second we can't make fun of grown men who have unhealthy obsessions with comic book characters...well then we just can't make fun of anyone...and if we can't make fun of anyone at TSM then TSM really is dead.

What's the big deal about him being happy with Heath Ledger's win, really?

I was glad to see Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman win awards because they are two of my favorite actors. Granted I'm not OBSESSED over it, but what's the harm in rooting for an Oscar victory?

Guest Czech please!

Because awards shouldn't affect your enjoyment of a film or your appreciation of an actor's work. If you liked Heath Ledger's performance, the validation of his performance via winning Best Supporting Actor isn't going to make you like it any more than you already did, nor should it. There are actors I like and actors I don't like so much, but I don't get bent out of shape from what I may perceive to be undeserved lauding or snubbing. It doesn't matter. The emotional investment displayed in the outcomes of these award shows has been completely out of proportion to their importance since the nominees were announced and everyone was yelling "FUCK THE WEINSTEINS" and "I'M BOYCOTTING THIS." Fine. Boycott it. Nobody needs to watch the Oscars, really. I had a hockey game on.

I don't grasp this assertion that I "didn't make any points." I was under the impression that we're all old salts at this here board and understand that discussion topics can be and often are introduced in more nuanced ways than "I have grievances to air! Grievance the first...", and so on. Snuffbox is admittedly the master at this. At least some people didn't need it spelled out.