TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Disc Golf....

Right now I'm throwing an Innova Star SL and an Innova Starmax for my drives, and a Discraft Rhyno for my putts.

There are a ton of courses in Sacramento and the outlying areas.

I go about once a week barring weather conditions(which recently have kept me going for a few weeks).

I can par most holes when I am concentrating and keep the beer drinking to a minimum.

Sometimes I go to actually play well, sometimes just to hang out with friends and get fucked up while throwing some discs, but lately I have been weening myself off of drinking and my game has stepped up a bunch.

So anyone else out there do this?

What are the courses like? Are there different pars? How long is a hole on average?

This fascinates me, plus Mike seems like he'd be a good guy to hang around with and drink a few beers with....even if the game itself is moving to the forefront.

Guest Vitamin X

Discing is fun, but I'm awful at it- and people around here are kind of competitive about it. Go figure. Indie sports.

While I wouldn't be suprised if Disc Golf is on that list somewhere, that particular entry is referring to "Ulimate Frisbee" which is something completely different. It's almost like playing flag football with a frisbee instead of a disc.......not the same thing. Never played that.

What are the courses like? Are there different pars? How long is a hole on average?

This fascinates me, plus Mike seems like he'd be a good guy to hang around with and drink a few beers with....even if the game itself is moving to the forefront.

Par is almost always 3, unless the hole is unusually long. The Avg distance of a basket from the tee I'd say is 300'-350'

Every course is different, with a lot of variables, the biggest being what kind of land the course is on. Some of your more basic courses are in community parks, these tend to be the smaller 9 hold courses. The 18 baskey courses tend to be in woodsy areas with a lot of land.

Some courses are more technical, where you have to throw the discs around obstacles, while some holes are straight ahead, just a long ways away.

www.discgolfcoursereview.com

A few friends and I gave it a shot last summer and everyone one of us was pretty bad. It was decent fun I'll probably go again this summer. Disc are still buried in my trunk, cheaps 4 pack we all bought at a gas station right next to the course/park.

Almost everyone is bad when they first start out. The biggest tip I can give beginners is that forget about trying to throw for power/distance for the first few months of playing. Most folks see someone else throw the disc 300 feet and the first thing they do is try to heave it has hard as they can, and it just goes up in the air and to the side.

Work on your technique first, which is to make sure the disc gets a flat release, the release point should be in front of the body, and make sure to try and put some snap into it(especially if you throw sidearm). The power will come with time, and is pretty much already there, but lack of technique negates any power anyways.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Last time I threw a frisbee, I hit my girlfriend at the time right in the lip and she bled like a fucking Kurosawa battle.