TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

WWE SmackDown - February 27, 2009

http://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/wwe-spoi...n-next-week.php

Next week's edition of SmackDown opens with Vladimir Kozlov vs Undertaker and Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy being announced for later in the night.

John Cena opens to mostly cheers by calling out Edge. He asks for a World Heavyweight Championship re-match. Edge accepts, but Vickie comes out and says Edge won't be competing tonight. Cena charges but Vickie says something. I can't hear because there is so much heat on Vickie. She introduces Big Show as his opponent for tonight instead.

Carlito & Primo vs. The Miz & John Morrison for the WWE Tag Titles

A ton of Missed spots took the crowd out of it. The Bellas come out and look fantastic. Carlito hits the Backstabber on Morrison for the clean pin. The Colon's leave with the Bellas.

John Cena vs. Big Show

Huge pops for both athletes. Great long match with offense back and forth. John Cena hits the Attitude Adjustment and then Edge runs out. He slides in and out of the ring without even touching Cena. Very weird spot. Cena looks at Edge and gets the KO from Big Show. High elevation Showstopper for the pinfall victory. Edge gets in the ring and poses over Cena. Edge is limping noticeably.

Undertaker vs. Vladamir Kozlov

A very long match that was boring in spots but the crowd firmly behind Undertaker. Kozlov botches snake eyes twice. Surprisingly clean pinfall victory for Kozlov, however, after he reverses Old School into a powerslam.

Jeff Hardy vs Matt Hardy

Matt out first, then Jeff comes out in street clothes. Jeff on the mic says they've always been together and that they will always be brothers. Matt says he is not his brother. He goes on a long semi-shoot about how the fans love Jeff more and how it is about Matt this time. He says the fans wouldn't forgive Matt if he committed Jeff's sins. Matt blames the fans and Jeff for his mediocre career. (Way to throw the ECW championship under the bus huh?) He says Jeff is all hype. Matt says fight me but Jeff refuses. Matt slaps Jeff twice but Jeff walks away to a mixed reaction. There is no match.

Shelton Benjamin vs. Chavo with MVP at ringside

Shelton throws Chavo into MVP at ringside. Taunts MVP then gets cradled for the victory. No one in the crowd knew it was a three count. Shelton hits the Drive By as Shelton looks stunned by his defeat.

they can't end the show with Chavo v Shelton. They must be filming something later, probably involving Hunter, to insert into the show

I suspect that they'll just juggle around the order of the matches with Cena vs Big Show probably the main event. At the end of a four hour double taping, they probably wanted to ensure the main event got a big pop and had crowd interest.

I'm a little confused. On the previous week's spoilers there was a match set up by Vickie where either HBK/JBL would face Kozlov to get to The Undertaker. But on this show Kozlov beats Taker and there's no sign of either Raw guy. Maybe this is to set up Kozlov as a monster heel, then Shawn can beat him en route to UT? Michaels can then say "Dead Man, I took out Kozlov and the guy beat you clean in the middle."

I'm a little confused. On the previous week's spoilers there was a match set up by Vickie where either HBK/JBL would face Kozlov to get to The Undertaker. But on this show Kozlov beats Taker and there's no sign of either Raw guy. Maybe this is to set up Kozlov as a monster heel, then Shawn can beat him en route to UT? Michaels can then say "Dead Man, I took out Kozlov and the guy beat you clean in the middle."

* Vickie Guerrero comes out to a ton of heat. They have to turn up her mic. She says that neither Shawn Michaels nor JBL should face The Undertaker. Vladimir Kozlov comes out. There is so much heat it is hard to understand what it goes on. It appears Kozlov is challenging the winner of Shawn Michaels vs. JBL.

I don't see where Vickie implies either HBK o JBL appearing on SmackDown. But anyway, I do like your scenario where HBK beats JBL but has to get thru Kozlov, who just beat Taker clean.

What's with Undertaker doing all these clean jobs all of a sudden? HHH in the chamber I can sort of understand, but Vladimir Kozlov?!?! Kozlov is the drizzling shits and he isn't over one bit. I get where it fits in the storyline they appear to be crafting, but for a guy who does so few jobs it's such a waste to burn one on that guy.

I wonder what they'll do to make Jeff change his mind about wrestling his brother. I'd like to see Matt go on a remote to Cameron, NC and beat up their father.

What's with Undertaker doing all these clean jobs all of a sudden? HHH in the chamber I can sort of understand, but Vladimir Kozlov?!?! Kozlov is the drizzling shits and he isn't over one bit. I get where it fits in the storyline they appear to be crafting, but for a guy who does so few jobs it's such a waste to burn one on that guy.

I wonder what they'll do to make Jeff change his mind about wrestling his brother. I'd like to see Matt go on a remote to Cameron, NC and beat up their father.

This was probably for Kozlov to look like a legitimate threat before facing, and (hopefully) losing to HBK. Undertaker always works matches against WWE's big man flavor of the month, where Undertaker gets "beaten like we have NEVER seen Undertaker get beaten before". Time and time again, and he always wins the blowoff.

This was probably for Kozlov to look like a legitimate threat before facing, and (hopefully) losing to HBK. Undertaker always works matches against WWE's big man flavor of the month, where Undertaker gets "beaten like we have NEVER seen Undertaker get beaten before". Time and time again, and he always wins the blowoff.

Well yeah, like I said I get what the story is, but Kozlov just has so little going for him, and you'd think they would have learned their lesson on him by now after months of stinking it up with HHH. He's just not ready for the kind of spot they're forcing him into.

They could have done the exact same booking with Big Show in Kozlov's place, it actually makes more sense given what happened between the two in the Rumble and the feud they've had over the past year, and it would be so much stronger. I guess the only strike against that idea would be having to job Show to Michaels, and I can understand why they'd be reluctant to do that.

Then again, I don't know what they plan on doing with Show at Mania, but it would be pretty easy to have JBL interfere in an HBK-Show match to try and keep Michaels from getting the big headline match at Mania that he wanted, inadvertently cause Show to lose, and it sets up an undercard deal for those two in the process. A bit contrived maybe, but anything would be better than continuing to push Kozlov way over his head.

Jeff and Matt is following the same pattern Bret and Owen followed. Owen turns on Bret, Bret refuses to fight him until Owen finally infuriates him enough.

Heh, Undertaker refused to fight "his brother" Kane for the longest time as well. Kane kept calling him out and calling him out. IIRC, he even beat the shit out of 'Taker on a RAW in late 1997, and he stood there and took it. I don't remember what it was that finally made Undertaker agree to the match at Wrestlemania 14 though.

I didn't even think about it from reading the spoilers, but I seriously doubt Show has ever gotten a win over Cena until now. Good for him! Now if Punk could get a win over Jericho, we'd be all set.

Undertaker refused to fight "his brother" Kane for the longest time as well. Kane kept calling him out and calling him out. IIRC, he even beat the shit out of 'Taker on a RAW in late 1997, and he stood there and took it. I don't remember what it was that finally made Undertaker agree to the match at Wrestlemania 14 though.

I didn't even think about it from reading the spoilers, but I seriously doubt Show has ever gotten a win over Cena until now. Good for him! Now if Punk could get a win over Jericho, we'd be all set.

Punk's beaten Jericho.

Kane locked Taker in a casket and set him on fire. Taker didn't take it well.

Here is one riddle to this Hardys feud that WWE is going to have a hard time figuring out: Matt Hardy just got his ass kicked repeatedly by a rookie like Jack Swagger in ECW, so why are we supposed to believe he can beat his brother Jeff (who was just WWE champion)? This feud almost feels like filler for Jeff until he can get back in the title scene.

Here is one riddle to this Hardys feud that WWE is going to have a hard time figuring out: Matt Hardy just got his ass kicked repeatedly by a rookie like Jack Swagger in ECW, so why are we supposed to believe he can beat his brother Jeff (who was just WWE champion)? This feud almost feels like filler for Jeff until he can get back in the title scene.

The same "rookie" who went undefeated for nearly 4 months, and is coming of a clean victory over a tough, accomplished veteran like Fit Finlay?

Heh, Undertaker refused to fight "his brother" Kane for the longest time as well. Kane kept calling him out and calling him out. IIRC, he even beat the shit out of 'Taker on a RAW in late 1997, and he stood there and took it. I don't remember what it was that finally made Undertaker agree to the match at Wrestlemania 14 though.

On the last Raw before WM14, Kane & Paul Bearer announced they had gone to the graveyard that Kane & Undertaker's parents (this was before Paul Bearer was revealed as Kane's biological father) were buried. They dug up their caskets and brought them to Raw. They sat the caskets on the stage and Kane was going to use his magical command of pyro to set them on fire until Undertaker showed up on the stage. It was the first time Undertaker had been seen since they set the casket on fire at the Rumble with him in it. Taker said Kane finally crossed the line and he would make him rest in peace at WM14.

I only remember this so vividly because Taker was using a hands-free microphone. He just walked out and started talking. It was the first time I had seen that.

And yes, it was just as Russo-rific as it sounds.

So what's going on with Chavo, is he a heel or face? On RAW he was a heel, now he's back as a face?

He's employed for the same reason Vickie is. I don't think the wwe creative gives any though to his character.

Chavo isn't a face at all. He's in a 3-way feud for the US Title with Shelton and MVP. They just did a heel vs. heel match because we've just seen Chavo vs. MVP and Shelton vs. MVP.

Undertaker refused to fight "his brother" Kane for the longest time as well. Kane kept calling him out and calling him out. IIRC, he even beat the shit out of 'Taker on a RAW in late 1997, and he stood there and took it. I don't remember what it was that finally made Undertaker agree to the match at Wrestlemania 14 though.

Punk's beaten Jericho.

Kane locked Taker in a casket and set him on fire. Taker didn't take it well.

A better analogy would be Jericho finally getting that pesky win over Triple H. As far as I can remember, he's only got that one fast count "win" for the WWF title that he promptly gave right back later in the show.

On the last Raw before WM14, Kane & Paul Bearer announced they had gone to the graveyard that Kane & Undertaker's parents (this was before Paul Bearer was revealed as Kane's biological father) were buried. They dug up their caskets and brought them to Raw. They sat the caskets on the stage and Kane was going to use his magical command of pyro to set them on fire until Undertaker showed up on the stage. It was the first time Undertaker had been seen since they set the casket on fire at the Rumble with him in it. Taker said Kane finally crossed the line and he would make him rest in peace at WM14.

I only remember this so vividly because Taker was using a hands-free microphone. He just walked out and started talking. It was the first time I had seen that.

And yes, it was just as Russo-rific as it sounds.

You're probably right about some things, but I'm pretty sure you're off on some details and timing.

IIRC, after Taker was burnt alive in the casket at the Rumble, he went missing for several weeks. I want to say in early March, Kane was scheduled to face Steve Austin in the main event of Raw, but shit happened (DX jumping Austin, I believe?), and the match never took place. At that point, I think Kane ended up beating up a planted fan in the front row, and that's when Taker returned with the big scene on the stage, complete with hands-free mic and lightning bolt effects, which I thought was one of the coolest endings to Raw ever.

Plus, there's no way that Taker accepted Kane's challenge only a week before WM. In fact, I remember a bunch of other things in weeks leading up to WM, mainly being Taker playing mind games with Kane (setting a Kane lookalike in a casket on fire, magically appearing/disappearing in Kane's presence, etc). I'm pretty sure Kane & Bearer setting up the parents' caskets on the stage was the week before Unforgiven the next month, and Taker ended up getting chokeslammed through one of the caskets.

For what it's worth, I remember so many of these details because the Taker-Kane feud basically sold me on WM XIV. I thought the Austin/HBK/Tyson stuff was cool, but as a Taker mark, I was counting down the days until WM for that match. It's funny now, because if this storyline started last October and was culminating at this year's WM, I'd absolutely hate it.

Edit: BTW, back to the original point: What caused Taker to accept Kane's challenge was being set on fire in a casket at the Rumble.

Austin returning with the big scene on the stage (wireless mic, walking through an explosion Kane set off) happened like the first week of March that year. I remember it because it was a show in town here, and it was also the show where Tyson joined DX.

From wiki:

On the March 2 edition of Raw is War, Kane's opponent, Steve Austin, was taken out by DX and with nothing to do, Bearer ordered the time keeper to deliver a ten-bell salute for The Undertaker's passing, before telling Kane to tombstone him. After he did, more bells were heard to ring, this time signalling Undertaker's theme music. The ringing continued much longer than normal, with Bearer denying the possibility of it being the Deadman. Eventually a sarcophagus appeared on the top of the ramp and after lightning struck it, The Undertaker sat up before revealing that he had been through hell and talked to his parents to tell them that he would have to go back on his vow. The week before WrestleMania, Kane came to the ring and began to display similar supernatural powers as his brother, striking the TitanTron with lightning, as well as the announce table, before striking a crew worker with lightning, setting him on fire; Undertaker was shown on the same episode speaking to his parents' gravestones, revealing it may have to take the damnation of his soul to reunite the troubled family.

I believe the Undertaker soliloquy in front of his parents' graves is on the 'Tombstone' boxset.

Off topic, but I can only think of two uses of a wireless mic in WWE history: the aforementioned Undertaker promo building up the Inferno match and Mr. McMahon berating The Big Show at WrestleMania XV.