TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Best Matches Not to Air on WWE DVDs

Figured this might be worth a shot. What are the best matches that WWE has yet to put on a dvd? Obviously it should be footage actually owned by the company, so no Ring of Honor, TNA, or MidSouth. I am listing these in chronological order.

1. Bob Backlund vs. Ken Patera Texas Death Match(5/19/80, Madison Square Garden)

Wrestling Observer's inaugural Match of the Year.

2. Sgt. Slaughter vs. The Iron Sheik Boot Camp Match(6/16/84, Madison Square Garden)

Just a classic, violent, bloody brawl. Odd that this one has not aired while the much bloodier May '84 bout has been featured, and the April '84 bout I believe just made the Legends of Wrestling set.

3. Sheepherders vs. Fantastics (4/19/86, Crockett Cup '86)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQ1tTayfqk

4. Wargames (7/4/87)

The original that launched the concept.

5. Ricky Steamboat/Dustin Rhodes vs. Arn Anderson/Larry Zbyszko (Clash of the Champions, 11/17/91)

6. Wargames (May 1992)

7. Big Van Vader vs. Cactus Jack Texas Death Match (Halloween Havoc 1993)

8. Bret/Owen Hart vs. The Steiner Brothers (1/11/94)

9. Rikishi/Too Cool/The Rock/Cactus Jack vs. Triple H/X-Pac/Chris Benoit/Dean Malenko/Perry Saturn

10. Chris Benoit/Chris Jericho vs. Steve Austin/Triple H (5/21/01)

Doubtless I've missed some gems from AWA and Stampede, but this is a reasonable list.

I'd like to see a Complete WarGames DVD...surely there's enough material there to fill up a two or three hour DVD. Yeah, when you think about it, there were just as many crappy ones as good ones but it'd be nice have all of 'em in one package.

I'd like to see a Complete WarGames DVD...surely there's enough material there to fill up a two or three hour DVD. Yeah, when you think about it, there were just as many crappy ones as good ones but it'd be nice have all of 'em in one package.

Agreed... at least the first half of that DVD would be good, and they could flesh it out via the documentary style, although I know they have started doing ones without that method.

But yeah...

Steamboat/Rhodes vs. The Enforcers and Wargames '92 would top my list.

How about the Kliq tag from Action Zone?

That's the match that's on Slamfest 95, right? I picked that up a few months ago for a couple of bucks at a pop culture store, mainly b/c I recognized that match. I like that match (and the tape) overall, but there's clipping which I always hate (esp. in the 2 matches I really wanted: Kliq tag and Owen/Anvil vs. Bret/Bulldog).

Savage / Hart Vs. Flair / Michaels

Savage / Michaels - WWF Championship

Savage / Flair rematch for the WWF Championship

Hart / Flair - WWF Championship match

Angle / Lesnar - Iron Man Match

Here's a personal favorite of mine:

Barry Windham and Arn Anderson vs. Doom - Street Fight - Starrcade '90

The double pin-ending (Even though the Horsemen had a good second advantage on the pin) and no blow-off to the feud (Doom would lose the belts to the Freebirds at the next PPV and then split) sucked, but the match was a great, bloody brawl (Anderson in particular).

2. Sgt. Slaughter vs. The Iron Sheik Boot Camp Match(6/16/84, Madison Square Garden)

Just a classic, violent, bloody brawl. Odd that this one has not aired while the much bloodier May '84 bout has been featured, and the April '84 bout I believe just made the Legends of Wrestling set.

FWIW, WWE doesn't have an broadcast quality copy of this match anymore.

8. Bret/Owen Hart vs. The Steiner Brothers (1/11/94)

This was the first thing that sprung to mind when I came upon this thread. I remember really enjoying it when I saw it. Actually, I'm about to get my hands on a copy of WrestleFest '94, which features this match.