TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

Wrestling Quirks

Tag matches never end in tag matches. It's always 2 on 2 with all hell breaking loose.

When someone is about to put someone through an announcer's table, they always make sure to get the monitor out of the way because you want to hurt them bad, but not too bad.

Most wrestlers have "street fight" attire.

Everyone always finds the energy to get out of a sleeper hold and attempt to change momentum.

Back to tag matches, the hot tag. The guy coming in is unstoppable.

Those are all fine except for the "clearing monitors" business, unless they are sorta going through the table too (i.e. Pedigree), then it makes sense.

Now, a wrestler teaming with their partner to beat up the other team for ten minutes before turning on their partner and siding with the team that he was fighting with has always been kinda dumb. Occasionally it is done right, but it's usually an eye-rolling affair.

-When a wrestler stops ramming the guy's head into the turnbuckle after the crowd reaches 10 on the count

-When Bret Hart would call Summerslam "The Summerslam"

-When a wrestler stops ramming the guy's head into the turnbuckle after the crowd reaches 10 on the count

I always thought of that as a display of self-amusement.

Now, a wrestler teaming with their partner to beat up the other team for ten minutes before turning on their partner and siding with the team that he was fighting with has always been kinda dumb. Occasionally it is done right, but it's usually an eye-rolling affair.

This is why I thought Spike Dudley's heel turn was really well done. He stayed on the apron and didn't once get into anything with Bubba and D-Von. The match went for a while, too, with Rey taking all the abuse, and then when the moment was right, Spike turned on him. I made sure to note that Spike didn't once get into it with his brothers b/c I had the exact same thought, "It'll be stupid for him to beat on his brothers and then turn on Rey."

When there is a hardcore/street fight/basically no DQ match, the ref will still make a wrestler break a submission hold when their opponent makes it to the ropes. :huh:

Yeah. That one is right up there with when XYZ wrestler would reverse Ric Flair's figure-four and Flair would reach the rope, which just resulted in the referee kicking Flair in the arms. What the fuck? Isn't it his job to break the hold up entirely? It's obvious that Flair was reach for the ropes to break the reversal, not to cheat. That happened in WCW a lot during the early Nitro days and it seriously got on my nerves.

whoever sets up the gimmick (table, chairs, ladders, glass, lightubes, barbed wire whatever, in any combination) ends up being the one getting thrown through it.

Re: why are there tables and ladders under the ring?

You just drove your opponent through the announce table. This leaves the commentators without a proper workstation. Say, where do we find a spare table...?

In a ladder match, not all venues have the benefit of a pulley system to lower the hook from where the prize will be hanging. Say, how do you plan on getting up there and hanging the belt...?

When there is a hardcore/street fight/basically no DQ match, the ref will still make a wrestler break a submission hold when their opponent makes it to the ropes. :huh:

I liked the part in the No DQ match with Punk and Regal where the Ref tried to get Punk to break an arm submission and Punk responds by saying "IT'S NO DQ, I"M GONNA BREAK HIS ARM!" and the Ref just stood there looking baffled.

I liked the part in the No DQ match with Punk and Regal where the Ref tried to get Punk to break an arm submission and Punk responds by saying "IT'S NO DQ, I"M GONNA BREAK HIS ARM!" and the Ref just stood there looking baffled.

WWE has some dumb refs nowadays.

Whenever opponents would attack Hogan during his "hulk up". I mean they ALWAYS keep hitting him during them knowing that it would never work. What they should have done is just get out of the ring and wait for adrenaline rush to end and then attack him when it's over when he's weak.

Yeah. That one is right up there with when XYZ wrestler would reverse Ric Flair's figure-four and Flair would reach the rope, which just resulted in the referee kicking Flair in the arms. What the fuck? Isn't it his job to break the hold up entirely? It's obvious that Flair was reach for the ropes to break the reversal, not to cheat. That happened in WCW a lot during the early Nitro days and it seriously got on my nerves.

That one doublely makes no sense. a) Flair's now in the submission hold so he should get the rope break, and b) assuming the ref is too dumb to realize that the move has been reversed, he caught Flair using the ropes to cheat, should be an instant 5-count to break the hold

Any time the announcer said "That's it, this match is over!", it's not. It goes...1...2...2 9/10...kickout.

Refer to above rule especially in a title match when the announcer says we're going to have a new champion and makes a huge deal out of it.

A wrestling wedding angle will usually end in chaos.

Wrestling pregnancy angles ALWAYS end in something retarded.

"We're going to have a serious conversation, but let's do it in the middle of a few thousand people and amplify our voices. I call cordless microphone #3!"

Going through a table, which breaks your fall, is supposedly more damaging than just plain hitting the ground.

Getting hit with a title belt is like being shot by an anti-aircraft gun.

Kevin Nash had a Jackknife. Sid just had powerbombs.

After observing many slow counts, physical contact with Earl Hebner will render him with the mental capacity of a three-month-old for a period not shorter than half-an-hour.

No one has yet done any studies on of the opponents of The Great Muta, Tajiri, et al to determine the long-term physical effects of inhaling toxic mist over a prolonged period.

Babyface wrestler goes after heel wrestler in the ring.(Who is usually beating down another babyface.) As soon as babyface wrestler makes it to the ring, the heel runs out of the ring and stands 5-15 feet away. Rather than going after the heel, they opt to point and make angry faces instead.

No one has yet done any studies on of the opponents of The Great Muta, Tajiri, et al to determine the long-term physical effects of inhaling toxic mist over a prolonged period.

I read once that there was an actual psychology behind the mist colors. Green was normal, red would somehow burn more and the RARE yellow actually caused temporary paralysis. Of course the red and yellow mists would damage the mister's throat so they could only be done in certain circumstances.

And prolonged misting can't be that dangerous, how many times has Chono taken mist? He seems as bad ass as ever.

Kevin Nash had a Jackknife. Sid just had powerbombs.

"Jackknife" is simply the name of the move to tie in with the Diesel character, not a special variant of the move. It refers to how a big rig can flip over, like a jackknife opening. Think Rock Bottom vs. Book End, Sweet Chin Music vs. Stevie Kick, etc.

whoever sets up the gimmick (table, chairs, ladders, glass, lightubes, barbed wire whatever, in any combination) ends up being the one getting thrown through it.

That's actually a good literary technique called 'irony'. It's probably one of my favorite parts of gimmick matches, like Bubba and D-Von setting up the four tables at TLC 1 and then Bubba flying down through them about ten minutes later.

I read once that there was an actual psychology behind the mist colors. Green was normal, red would somehow burn more and the RARE yellow actually caused temporary paralysis. Of course the red and yellow mists would damage the mister's throat so they could only be done in certain circumstances.

And prolonged misting can't be that dangerous, how many times has Chono taken mist? He seems as bad ass as ever.

Black mist will blind you. Just ask Nidia.

Black mist will blind you. Just ask Nidia.

They also force you to wear comically large "blind-person" glasses and possibly carry a white cane.

There's one that always amused me.. referees will go down with the slightest touch for a long period of time, which goes without saying, but when they're placed in an actual match as wrestlers, they find themselves able to take a clothesline and be up within 10 minutes!

During a tag-match, when the heels make a blind tag and make a tagging noise behind the ref's back... the ref will let the switch stand. When the face even thinks about getting in the ring without the ref plainly seeing the tag, it's almost felony grade.