TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

Wrestling Quirks

During a tag-match, when the heels make a blind tag and make a tagging noise behind the ref's back... the ref will let the switch stand. When the face even thinks about getting in the ring without the ref plainly seeing the tag, it's almost felony grade.

I think the refs get a kick out of pissing the crowd off by doing that. Rather lame.

I always wanted to see a misanthropic referee who doesn't bother with counts and just wants to see as much misery as possible.

Ref: I ain't countin' til one o'ya'lls bleedin'. BLEEEEEEEEEED!

During a tag-match, when the heels make a blind tag and make a tagging noise behind the ref's back... the ref will let the switch stand. When the face even thinks about getting in the ring without the ref plainly seeing the tag, it's almost felony grade.

Heels clap loudly to simulate a tag. Faces tag gently and the crowd roars so the referee can't hear the tag. [/kayfabe]

re: why are there tables and ladders under the ring?

Because general managers are not known for their foresight, and any sort of match can pop up at any time, so it's more convenient to carry all sorts of goofy shit under the ring than it is to have to haul in something from the back or hope the arena has some extra ladders lying around.

Wrestling title belts mean more than family. It's ok to turn heel on your brother/sister/father/cousin if it means a title shot.

Everybody's got a price, even if it means sacrificing your native heritage.

Not sure if it really belongs here, but I've always thought it was weird how some wrestlers who wear the short speedo tights will wear only a T-shirt in backstage segments. It always looks like they forgot their pants. Ric Flair, Triple H and Randy Orton are the ones who do/did it the most. It's like, if you're just going to wear a shirt, why bother putting something on top at all? I don't get why they just don't do what The Rock used to do and wear a T-shirt *and* sweatpants. Are they lazy or something?

Merchandising!

That's the only reason I can think of too. It's just an excuse to show off their latest merchandise.

Still, it's always looked odd to me. Weird how that looks odd to me, but seeing these guys wrestle oiled up without their shirts on wearing speedos doesn't.

In the world of wrestling, it's not necessarily a given that the top employees will report to work, as evidenced by the ever-so-present "I have a surprise for you. So-and-so is expected to be here TONIGHT!"

And apparently it's OK if those stars show up to work 1/2 way or even 3/4 of the way into their "shift" (the show).

And if they leave before their shift (show) is over, often times when it's in a hurry, the car is conveniently parked right outside the back entrance, unlocked with the keys already in the ignition.

Jesse Ventura, whenever a foreign wrestler would get on a roll

"It's that (insert ethnicity here) temper of his!"

also, has ringing the bell over and over ever stopped a post-match beatdown?

No, but damned if the timekeeper in WCW was going to stop ringing the bell

- Something my friends and I made fun of a lot in the early/mid-90s was the magic reviving powers of the ring apron. You could have your ass handed to you, DYING to make the hot tag... and as soon as you do, you're 100% healed and ready to jump in for some 2 on 2 chaos. In my memory, this seemed to happen with Virgil most frequently but I could be remembering completely wrong.

- Steve Austin must really have wanted to give someone a piledriver on the floor or concrete based on the amount of times he tried it despite getting backdropped for his efforts. At least Flair hit his top rope moves from time to time.

- The hoods of cars are much more devastating than the floor of the parking lot they're parked in.

- People who aren't American are naturally evil. "I'm not from here! I have my own customs! Look at my crazy passport!"

- People who aren't American are naturally evil. "I'm not from here! I have my own customs! Look at my crazy passport!"

i loved the "USA!" chants that Mohammed Hassan would get XD

I'm still baffled by the logic of a manager's license. I remember hearing Monsoon say you can not have a manager's and wrestler's license simultaneously. But apparently, the Gagnes did not adhere to this as AWA Champion Curt Hennig had a manager's license to gawk at . . . I mean manage Madusa from ringside as she faced Brandi Mae who had her second Rocky Mountain Thunder thrown out as he did not have a manager's license.

Fast forward twelve years later, and Christian (or maybe it was Edge) scores a WWF manager license.

All very confusing.

And grow a goatee.

And in some cases, chest hair.

See AJ Styles and Chritstian Cage

-Pulling the tights is an automatic win.

-Whenever a face hits their finisher, instead of covering for the win, they always go over and get distracted by the heel manager leading to their loss.

-Wrestlers never have charges placed against them for the countless crimes they commit.

-Whenever someone wants to interrupt an interview, they must always have their music played. They wanna say something so badly that they first need to inform the sound guy to play their music before going to the ring.

Nothing else happens while entrance music is playing. The world goes into stasis and everyone follows a Pavlovian instinct to watch the ramp.

Chairmen, General Managers, Commissioners, etc., are either morally retarded, desperate to damage their own top draws, astoundingly incompetent, or any combination of the three, and thus unfit to be put in charge of the night shift of Denny's, much less a national "sporting" organization.

Actually on rare occasions pulling the tights doesn't get the win, but in those instances we are usually witness to man ass (I site a couple times during HBK's first IC run that he got depants off a sunset flip)

If a babyface misses a signature/big move early in the match, they will hit it on a second attempt. If a heel hits a signature/big move early in the match and then goes for it again, it will be countered by the babyface.

Signaling for your finishing move. Nothing tells the guys in the back what you are going for next and when to run in like that.

Wrestlers who pin their opponents while having their legs stick outside the ring. This also applies to referees too who easily get pulled out of the ring.

There's one that always amused me.. referees will go down with the slightest touch for a long period of time, which goes without saying, but when they're placed in an actual match as wrestlers, they find themselves able to take a clothesline and be up within 10 minutes!

That reminds me of that one time Val Venis was a special referee in a match back in 1999 and got knocked down by a clothesline or squashed in the corner. Even though he was a wrestler, this time he was a referee, so it put him out for about 2 or 3 minutes.

The referees don't know how to make a count or get knocked out easily.

You hardly get to win the match properly nowadays when its held in your hometown.

If your signature move doesn't work the first time, try it again. If the second time doesn't work either, chances of winning the match are very slim.

A family member or your best friend winds up becoming your worst enemy.

Your worst enemy eventually becomes your ally.

The standard punishment for angering the General Manager is having to wrestle Kane.