TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

Wrestling Quirks

How about Cena's 5 moves of doom? You would especially thing Edge of all people would know by now that if Cena hits you with 2 Shoulder Blocks, it's probably not wise to try to throw a wild punch at him after the 2nd one. He is just going to duck it and use your momentum to pick you up for that weak-as-hell Spinning Backdrop.

I'm waiting for the day someone books the match to have Cena's opponent fake him out by throwing a punch, Cena ducks, only to stand back up and get hit by the opponents other fist.

*It takes 10 full minutes to climb an 8-foot ladder.

*Big words are needlessly substituted in place of simpler, more apt words. (E.g., "External occipital protuberance" instead of "back of the head." Or "intestinal fortitude" instead of "guts.")

*Throwing chalk at someone can blind them for an entire match.

Meanwhile the same two guys have a 2 out of 3 falls match and suddenly they're able to pin each other once and someone is able to get a third one in that same 30 minute time-frame!

And in an Iron-Man match they're somehow able to pin each other a bunch!

and they get pins with moves other than their finisher.

In an Iron Man match it makes perfect sense to have more falls, and falls resulting from non-finishers. So long as we're talking 60 minutes, anyway.

One of my favourite ones is that if you hit a moonsault, SSP etc onto a guy, you're completely fine. If you hit the mat instead, you're in agony. Has anyone other than RVD ever bothered to sell that leaping onto another person is going to hurt you if it hurts them?

How about this. Two guys wrestle each other in a main event. It takes 30 minutes for one to beat the other enough to get just ONE pinfall.

Meanwhile the same two guys have a 2 out of 3 falls match and suddenly they're able to pin each other once and someone is able to get a third one in that same 30 minute time-frame!

That one is logical though. If I know it's "one fall to a finish", I'm going to kick out every chance I get. In a 2 out of 3 falls match I have to be beaten twice to lose the match. Keep expanding outward for the Ironman rules. Taking a pin early isn't going to kill you if you've got 50 minutes to make it up. It would however beat you in a normal match.

and they get pins with moves other than their finisher.

In an Iron Man match it makes perfect sense to have more falls, and falls resulting from non-finishers. So long as we're talking 60 minutes, anyway.

One of my favourite ones is that if you hit a moonsault, SSP etc onto a guy, you're completely fine. If you hit the mat instead, you're in agony. Has anyone other than RVD ever bothered to sell that leaping onto another person is going to hurt you if it hurts them?

A similar complaint would be someone acting like death was upon them if they miss a Dropkick. I try to explain it to myself as "when you hit the dropkick, you use your opponent as a bit of a kickpad to make sure you land properly", but it's still silly to think of.

How about Hogan acting as though he's been shot in the lower back/ass if he misses the legdrop? He lands the exact same way, either way.

When two people who really want to kill each other can't be contained they are ordered to settle their differences in a steel cage.. where the object is to get away from them.

This one is all Vince's fault. The escape rule was put in for some retarded reason, and killed the premise of the match. Although it does still serve as a mild deterrent to a gang run-in.

The escape rule dates well before Vince Jr. took over the promoter. If you watch Bruno Sammartino cage matches, it's very sensible. "It's just you and me, no referee, no interference. The last man standing walks out with the win." The problem is that is anti-climatic, and it was inevitable that promoters would book more creative finishes, Vince or no Vince.

What gets me is when cage matches have Australian tag rules. Sting/Flair vs. Funk/Muta at Halloween Havoc '89. It's no DQ, win by surrender only. Why are you bothering with tags?

-Wrestlers never have charges placed against them for the countless crimes they commit.

This bothered me during the "Austin got run over" angle as they covered their tracks when Austin returned as saying "Austin isn't going to press charges."

Ummm, I think the crime of vehicular homicide might trump any "I don't want any charges pressed" attitude by a victim!

-Whenever someone wants to interrupt an interview, they must always have their music played. They wanna say something so badly that they first need to inform the sound guy to play their music before going to the ring.

I think I can explain this by saying that having the music blaring is a more effective way to get speaker in the ring to shut up rather than coming out and trying to speak over him/her with a house mike from the top of the ramp.

-I haven't watched the programming in a long time, but seemed like every single PPV was hyped as being The Biggest of the Year/In Some Time/etc.

-Every wrestler or that the face announcers want to over hype is considered the one of the best in the business, or a future HOFer.

Two big culprits off hand, Michael Cole declaring X-Pac & Road Dogg as one of the great tag teams of all time, and on the WM 1998 commentary for Rock-Austin (remember, this is before Rock really took off. He was big, but this was still early in his rise ) JR actually said that The Rock was a future WWF HOFer!

I've never understood why the crowd pops so hard when a face wins a title match via DQ or count-out. What's the point of winning the match (esp. when it's nothing you did that won the match for you) if you didn't win the title?

See: Luger vs. Yoko, Summerslam '93

Shawn Michaels' superkick started to gain magical powers around 1995.

Shawn Michaels' foot also contains a "band" that sometimes needs to "warm up", at least according to J.R. And once they do, it's almost assuredly death to whoever is hit by that foot, be they wrestler, promoter, referee, or even timekeeper.

As far as gimmick matches being criticized, how about any match (chain, strap, etc.) where you have to drag your opponent around and touch each corner. How is that humiliating other than being technically a loss? If I was a wrestler, I'd let my opponent touch all four corners. You still haven't beat me in a wrestling match, just a gayer version of the tug-of-war. I get the concept, I just don't understand how there's any magnitude to the match.

Same with _____-on-a-pole matches. Whoop-de-doo! You can climb up and grab something suspended on a stick! Let's throw a party for you!

Whenever a heel wrestler cheats, the commentators always damn him to hell for it but when a face wrestler cheats, the commentators think of bullshit excuses to try and justify it. This has bothered me for awhile.

Faces cheating getting praise goes back to the McMahon/Ventura dynamic.

Or my favorite example Summerslam 89 with Ventura and Schiavone. During Rude/Warrior, Warrior hits Rude with the IC belt outside the ring. Jesse rightfully goes nuts that Warrior is not dq'd for that. Tony's answer is that it happened outside the ring. Jesse goes off on Tony, saying (not exact quote) "So you mean if you shot someone, as long as it's outside the ring, it's legal?"

Why is it that whenever some outside person jumps on the apron or comes to ringside, the enemy of that person immediately stops what he is doing and pays attention to them, causing them to either lose the match or the advantage. This works with both heels and faces (last night's Jericho/Kofi match for example). Faces are really prone to this. Also to add to that, why does the ref sometimes seem concerned by stuff happening outside the ring, instead of paying attention to the guys inside. Like a tag match when two guys are fighting on the floor, ref goes outside to stop it, misses face's pin attempt, or heel cheats or has someone interfere. You'd think the ref would stop falling for that.

i always told myself that it's the referee's job to be looking the other way when the heels cheat.

One that always bugs me is that during cage matches, if it involves someone with a highflying finisher (case in point jeff hardy) they will always beat their opponent and climb the cage. Rather than win the match and possible a title, they will always attempt their finisher and 90% of the time loose the match as the result of it missing.

When you're a face, you easily defeat your opponents cleanly but need to bend all sorts of rules to barely win a match when you're heel (JBL, Hogan, etc.)

They all want their Superfly moment.

Indeed. I'd rather rake in royalties over the next 20+ years for having a jump-off-the-cage moment aired repeatedly than simply adding one to my number of title reigns.

And to contribute, the fact that boots can easily be loaded in such a manner that a referee checking them will not find anything, and the loaded object will not move at all during the match...but by simply kicking the toe of the boot into the ground a couple of times, you can dislodge the object right to the point of the boot and turn a regular kick into the cause of several internal injuries.

When you're a face, you easily defeat your opponents cleanly but need to bend all sorts of rules to barely win a match when you're heel (JBL, Hogan, etc.)

I'm paraphrasing here... but Mick Foley talked about this during a Roundtable episode once. He said Matt Bourne told him one time, in regards to a heel cheating... it's not because you have to do it... it's because you want to do it.

No matter WHAT, a live non PPV telecast of the main event on a telecast will end promptly before the designated time the programming is scheduled to be off the air.

Quite uncanny!

:lol:

Speaking of that, I did love the overtime concept WCW tried with Nitro, but I think what hurt it is that the shows got bloated with so much other crap that it became more like a regular TV show as opposed to a sporting event, or even a boxing or MMA card. You already seen enough of the show, you don't want an extra 15 minutes or so tacked on because the producers want to play up an "anything can happen on live TV" or "We had so much stuff tonight we couldn't fit it all in the 2 hours we were allotted."

Especially considering everyone was pretty much aware that these were scripted matches and that the "extra time" was really a sort of sweeps gimmick and not something that would become a regular thing.

When two people who really want to kill each other can't be contained they are ordered to settle their differences in a steel cage.. where the object is to get away from them.

This one is all Vince's fault. The escape rule was put in for some retarded reason, and killed the premise of the match. Although it does still serve as a mild deterrent to a gang run-in.

The escape rule dates well before Vince Jr. took over the promoter. If you watch Bruno Sammartino cage matches, it's very sensible. "It's just you and me, no referee, no interference. The last man standing walks out with the win." The problem is that is anti-climatic, and it was inevitable that promoters would book more creative finishes, Vince or no Vince.

What gets me is when cage matches have Australian tag rules. Sting/Flair vs. Funk/Muta at Halloween Havoc '89. It's no DQ, win by surrender only. Why are you bothering with tags?

Yes! Major pet peeve of mine. I think the first one I saw was an Andersons vs. Rock and Rolls match and I was so caught up over that detail I couldn't get into it. Arguably not as bad as the numerous Tables Matches The Dudleys had with tags in and out, since there's no way of arguing that there even needs to be a legal man for a pin or submission.

I see what you're saying, but at least in that match... it ended up as a Texas-Tornado style match by the end. I like to believe both teams decided to go at it with the regular rules at first before saying to hell with it.

I don't really know if this would count as a quirk or not...

But why do some wrestlers who wear singlets as their ring attire sometimes feel that they need to lower one or both straps of the attire in mid match?

Like how Mr. Perfect would have one strap down mid-match for no apparent reason.

Angle I can kinda understand it being a taunt.

If you miss a dropkick on your opponent, you'll instantly hurt yourself. If you hit your opponent with it, despite falling the same distance as if you missed it, you'll be 100%.

How sometimes the referee will count to four and begin wrestling the wrestler to get him to break the illegal hold, rather than just yelling FIVE and ringing the bell (or even calling for the disqualification and then trying to break the hold).

Conversely, how hilariously inept the referee looks when he tries to call for a break in a no-disqualification match. CM Punk called one out on it when he wrestled Regal that one time. He told him "It's no DQ, I'm gonna break his arm" and both Regal & the referee had "oh shit we booked ourselves into a corner" looks.