TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #

1 N Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail LGF $41,120,000 - 2,032 - $20,236 $41,120,000 - 1

2 3 Taken Fox $11,400,000 -40.0% 3,102 -7 $3,675 $95,153,000 - 4

3 5 Coraline Focus $11,031,000 -25.4% 2,155 -165 $5,119 $53,393,000 - 3

4 2 He's Just Not That Into You WB (NL) $8,540,000 -56.2% 3,050 -125 $2,800 $70,083,000 - 3

5 9 Slumdog Millionaire FoxS $8,050,000 +10.5% 2,244 +610 $3,587 $98,020,000 $15 15

6 1 Friday the 13th (2009) WB (NL) $7,825,000 -80.7% 3,105 - $2,520 $55,002,000 $19 2

7 4 Confessions of a Shopaholic BV $7,019,000 -53.4% 2,507 - $2,800 $27,654,000 - 2

8 6 Paul Blart: Mall Cop Sony $7,000,000 -36.3% 2,835 -130 $2,469 $121,380,000 $26 6

9 N Fired Up SGem $6,000,000 - 1,810 - $3,315 $6,000,000 $20 1

10 7 The International Sony $4,450,000 -52.3% 2,364 - $1,882 $17,017,000 $50 2

11 8 The Pink Panther 2 Sony $3,700,000 -56.5% 2,658 -587 $1,392 $29,374,000 - 3

12 11 Gran Torino WB $3,640,000 -43.9% 2,030 -273 $1,793 $134,436,000 $33 11

When was the last time a #1 movie had an 80 percent dropoff in it's second weekend?

It's great to see that Fired Up bombed. That is what they get for putting a 31 year old actor (Eric Olsen) to be the star of a High School movie.

Never happened.

Fired Up wasn't the worst movie of the year, so it exceeded my expectations.

You mean to tell me all the ads of "Bring it On meets Superbad!" didn't get Fired Up at least a top 3 spot.

Tyler Perry made 125 million last year just from his movies alone. I guess some people were right when they said he'll be the male Oprah in 5 years.

Tyler Perry to Hollywood-

"Black people have money...and they're giving it all to MEEEEEEEE!!!"

Didn't Friday the 13th have the best opening weekend of any horror movie ever or something last weekend? Or maybe it was just the best opening for a horror remake/reboot and/or best opening weekend (and overall gross total) for any of the other Friday the 13th films.

But then to drop that far that quick after a week, wow. Well, I guess you can't say it bombed, or anything like that. Just got people in quick to see it.

The film has made almost triple the amount it cost to make. So no, zero way anyone can claim it is a bomb. Just can't claim it to be a mega hit. A hit? Sure. Just not mega.

Good to see "Taken" and "Coraline" still doing good.

I'm surprised to see this Madea movie make 41 million...knew it would be #1 this week but not with that much. Thought it might make more like 30 million.

As far as Taken goes, I finally saw it this weekend. It's pretty good and certainly fast moving but really it's more of a serious minded Commando with weaker villains. Nice to see Neeson in a hit though.

Guest Smues

I'm looking forward to Tyler Perry's "Who gives a fuck what I do, black people will see it. Oh and it's got Madea too!" Coming in 2010.

Madea's Class Reunion coming to a theater near you in '10! Sadly, not joking. At this point, I'm starting think Madea is the African-American equivalent of Ernest. I'm personally looking forward to Slam Dunk Madea.

Also you have to love how pretentious and misleading (well I'm going to assume the latter) this poster is;

madea_goes_to_jail.jpg

Guest Smues
Madea's Class Reunion coming to a theater near you in '10! Sadly, not joking. At this point, I'm starting think Madea is the African-American equivalent of Ernest. I'm personally looking forward to Slam Dunk Madea.

I'm hoping that Madea saves Christmas.

Oh that's right. Completely had a brain fart and forgot that. I went to the movies on Christmas Eve afternoon once to see The Ringer...why I don't know (but hey it had Terry Funk as one of Johnny Knoxville's uncle's cronies!) but there was a gas leak in the theater like ten minutes before the movie ended and they gave us $20 in gift certificates. I still haven't seen the ending of that movie.

Terry Funk is in that movie? Holy shit.

I saw Fired Up and there were problems with the first five minutes. First we got sound and no picture, then we got picture and no sound.

We didn't get a free movie pass, which pissed me off.

Yeah, The Ringer was directed by the same guy who did Beyond The Mat hence Terry Funk being in it. I don't think he had more than a line or two but still I marked out. Only other thing I remember about the movie is the appearance from The Kids of Widney High and finding it odd that half of the actors playing Johnny Knoxville's retarded friends were actually retarded and half were actors playing retarded people. Thought they would have gone one way or another.

But that's enough of me rambling about a crappy movie from five years ago that hardly anyone remembers!

I'm more likely to go see a Tyler Perry movie with Madea than without Madea. Not that his movies are bad, it's just annoying how EVERY female lead has to suddenly go all poetry slam in every film I've seen. That character gives a comedic twist to offset his seriously heavy but sometimes terribly boring serious storylines and it's very much needed 90% of the time.

Just can't see every Perry movie. The guy releases like three a month it seems like. Not to mention the movies with Madea are the only ones I ever see promoted in the least.

I haven't seen a single Tyler Perry movie, play, tv series, nothing. I just haven't been interested enough to give them a shot. The Wood, The Brothers, that Bill Belamy movie about being a player and Soul Food are really all you need as far as recent black comedies/dramas. The rest is all rehash. I'll give Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins credit simply because Mike Epps and Michael Clarke Duncan are hilarious in it.

On Madea...is that character like Ernest P. Worrell? By that I mean do any of her movies follow each other like a series or is each a whole new story featuring the character with no other recurring characters/story lines?

On Madea...is that character like Ernest P. Worrell? By that I mean do any of her movies follow each other like a series or is each a whole new story featuring the character with no other recurring characters/story lines?

They follow her life and patterns yeah. It's not like Ernest in the least. She's just a take no-nonsense pissed off granny who will beat a child's ass for disrespecting her. I guess the Ernest comparison is coming from she's in a lot of movies (only 3 so far really) but this is really the first movie where she was the star character. The character of Madea is usually just like a supporting character to the main tale of a female lead.

All you need to know about Madea movies are the follow:

She's going to disrespect the police for getting in her business

Asses will be kicked

Family Reunion showed how large and connected the family is so it's obvious he can tell about 4000 stories about that one large gathering of people and has been.

If I recall correctly, Madea goes to Jail is the sequel to Meet the Browns as Madea appears in a car chase at the end of that movie and that is the only appearance of the character.

Now to be fair, as hackneyed as Tyler Perry's movies seem to be, you can get a lot dumber (Paul Blart and Fired Up! to name a few that are currently out now). My point, bad doesn't always equate with stupid.