TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Raw - February 23, 2009

Why would anyone think Kozlov is going to face UT at WM in any scenario? There is no way WWE is dumb enough to tease Taker/HBK and not do that match. Kozlov is being hyped for now as a blocking device, as in "Whoa, can Shawn beat this guy to get to Taker?" Basically Kozlov is being built up to be fed to HBK, so that Shawn can be fed to Taker.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The build-up practically writes itself. "Shawn Michaels has beaten the previously undefeated (har, har) Kozlov, the man who handled the Undertaker like nobody has before! How can the Undertaker keep his WrestleMania streak alive ... against Mr. WrestleMania himself, no less?!"

And then Taker beats Shawn Michaels at WM, then gets his win over Kozlov at Backlash. Wheeee...

Why would anyone think Kozlov is going to face UT at WM in any scenario? There is no way WWE is dumb enough to tease Taker/HBK and not do that match. Kozlov is being hyped for now as a blocking device, as in "Whoa, can Shawn beat this guy to get to Taker?" Basically Kozlov is being built up to be fed to HBK, so that Shawn can be fed to Taker.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The build-up practically writes itself. "Shawn Michaels has beaten the previously undefeated (har, har) Kozlov, the man who handled the Undertaker like nobody has before! How can the Undertaker keep his WrestleMania streak alive ... against Mr. WrestleMania himself, no less?!"

And then Taker beats Shawn Michaels at WM, then gets his win over Kozlov at Backlash. Wheeee...

You know, sometimes, no matter what they do, there's going to be a certain pattern to booking. But just because you might have a good idea of how the match will go doesn't mean you can't enjoy it and mark out for it. And you never know, they might pull out a surprise here or there.

Plus, you know that HBK-Taker will be an amazing match with nuclear crowd heat, so this is one of those times where you know the story's ending but you just enjoy the ride.

Oh, I'm hoping like hell we get Michaels-Undertaker at WM. It's amazing those two have gone more than 11 years without a one-on-one match, and the limited interactions they've had have been tremendous.

As for already knowing the result, I'm pretty sure everybody knew Flair was losing to Michaels last year at WM, and that didn't stop them from putting on a classic anyway.

I would sure as hell prefer that they go this way rather than try to shoehorn Kozlov or JBL (or both) into the WM match just because everybody has been expecting an HBK-Taker one-on-one match for months.

So HHH's real life marriage to Stephanie is a storyline now? Or did they get storyline married within the last couple of years? When HHH was shoving Vinces head into Big Shows ass that was just family hijinks? Pedigree your father-in-law is cool beans, but kicking him in the head is crossing the line? Was Stephanie stone cold stunnered since she has been married?

All wrestling is real, but some wrestling is more real - makes no sense. I don't know why I watch this stuff, but I know why they're going back to pg programming - they get you when your young. Attracting new adult viewers is pretty much impossible. Marketing to adults is pretty hard as well - nobody wants to wear wwe t-shirts in public. The anonymity of the internet has probably saved pro-wrestling - where folks can get on line and find other wrestling fans to talk wrestling with. Actually speaking about wrestling, saying the words, is cringe worthy to hear in a public setting.

I'm a self-loathing wrestling fan.

So HHH's real life marriage to Stephanie is a storyline now? Or did they get storyline married within the last couple of years? When HHH was shoving Vinces head into Big Shows ass that was just family hijinks? Pedigree your father-in-law is cool beans, but kicking him in the head is crossing the line? Was Stephanie stone cold stunnered since she has been married?

All wrestling is real, but some wrestling is more real - makes no sense. I don't know why I watch this stuff, but I know why they're going back to pg programming - they get you when your young. Attracting new adult viewers is pretty much impossible. Marketing to adults is pretty hard as well - nobody wants to wear wwe t-shirts in public. The anonymity of the internet has probably saved pro-wrestling - where folks can get on line and find other wrestling fans to talk wrestling with. Actually speaking about wrestling, saying the words, is cringe worthy to hear in a public setting.

It makes sense if you think that Stephanie and HHH divorced but got back together, keeping it quiet. I don't know how you explain HHH kicking the crap out of Vince and Shane all those times, though. I mean, they could at least try to explain it, but it doesn't seem like they intend to.

It makes sense if you think that Stephanie and HHH divorced but got back together, keeping it quiet. I don't know how you explain HHH kicking the crap out of Vince and Shane all those times, though. I mean, they could at least try to explain it, but it doesn't seem like they intend to.

Especially given that DX segment when they talked about pregnant Steph and HHH saying "I bet that guy has a huge..." before being cut off by HBK. And when Steph was actually at the hospital Shawn mentioned HHH was "out, having to tend to things" or whatever. Also, I'm pretty sure Steph has been pedigreed at some point, and that is just as much a death move as The Punt.

They should have simply stayed with the 'She's the mother of my children' line. That way it avoids any continuity errors about them being together or not, and also gives a reason why HHH wants to protect her.

Especially given that DX segment when they talked about pregnant Steph and HHH saying "I bet that guy has a huge..." before being cut off by HBK. And when Steph was actually at the hospital Shawn mentioned HHH was "out, having to tend to things" or whatever. Also, I'm pretty sure Steph has been pedigreed at some point, and that is just as much a death move as The Punt.

I think it could almost make sense if you didn't have the entire Shane/Vince vs DX storyline. They must have known they'd do the HHH reveal at some point, and should have kept the McMahon's and HHH away from each other, which would make the eventual revelation more plausable.

Although, I do think some of HHH's teasing of Vince in recent years, did come off like he was the son in law taking good natured shots at his father in law. Although I'm not sure whether that was intentional or not.

Stephanie was Pedigreed at WM18 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHcUb1NN0u4...feature=related which is before they were married.

They were married three years before WM18.

I was referencing the real life marriage. I just assumed the HHH/Stephanie husband and wife reveal was a real life reveal, like when Vince was outed as owner, rather than a continuation of the Drive-thru wedding angle. I didn't watch the sit-down interview with JR and HHH, did they give an indication which marriage they were referencing? I'd much rather it be the drive-thru continuation because the real life relationship as part of the storyline world is another PARADOX.

Shut up with the paradoxes.

HHH and Steph's "storyline marriage" was from 1999 to Vengeance 2002.

About the DX v. McMahons feud, the McMahons are just a very crazy dysfunctional family

Considering how all four of the McMahons have feuded with each other at some point over the last ten years, I suppose the DX-McMahons feud was just another intra-family rivalry.

I didn't notice these things when I originally watched the show but heard / read about certain moments pointed out that I missed. By chance, it was a rare time I hadn't deleted the show off the DVR and did catch my new favourite highlights of the show:

- Lawler mocking Cole by yelling "VINTAGE!" after Cole stated "the momentum has shifted".

- Meltzer marking out in amazement in the front row after Steamboat does a 2nd turnbukcle leap frog over a charging Ric Flair.

I'm always annoyed when HHH and others complain about that match. Warrior squashing HHH was really the only thing that made sense at that time. Had he had the 12 min match they wanted to, Warrior would've been exposed right away and HHH was just a mid carder with some decent prospects anyway.

The match is probably quite important in the context of HHH's career. I mean, people talk about him being reluctant to put new stars over, but when he was in that position Warrior didn't help him either. I'm willing to bet he learned a few lessons from the warrior incident, mainly, look out for yourself and nobody else.