TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 96: Jackson vs. Jardine

Yeah, tell 'em Skeet!

I'm going to polish off a case of Modelos, so it'll probably be story time later.

Glad I didn't pay for that event.

McCrory/Madigan was like open mat night at jitz class.

I laughed out loud.

Dude, he broke his guard via palms on stomach.

Pretty entertaining event tonight, although I came in with some low expectations to be honest...

-The head-kick was all sorts of awesome

-Carwin looked mighty impressive, and you could almost see Dana and the rest of the brass breathing a sigh of relief when he came back after the initial Gonzaga offense

-The stoppage then non-stoppage was confusing as hell.

Is it wrong that Matt Hammil reminds me of the Greased Naked Deaf Guy from Family Guy? Obviously, I'd never say that to his face cos he'd kick the shit out of me, but still...

Went to Hooters to see the card, not a strong card on paper, but it delivered for a fun night of fights.

I was hoping to see Maynard get a finish, dude isn't doing himself any favors winning by decision all the time

Nice to see Groove do well, maybe I'll start betting on him again. Dude behind me was laughing his ass off when he did the grave digger routine just yelling over and over again "He has no respect for that man!"

Tamden looked solid again

Matt Brown...what the hell was the ref doing? He more or less broke up a beating just to restart it? No idea what he was thinking. Brown looked good.

Hammil and Carwin looked great. I must have blined cause I missed Carwin get back to his feet after being taken down. He'll probably get another major fight soon...hope they start giving Cain some major fights now.

Main event was solid. Round 2 was awesome.

I couldn't hear commentary too well. What did Tamden and Rampage say post fight?

Needless to say Matt Hammil won KO of the night. Page and Jardine was fight of the night. $60k bonuses, no submission of the night.

Is it wrong that Matt Hammil reminds me of the Greased Naked Deaf Guy from Family Guy? Obviously, I'd never say that to his face cos he'd kick the shit out of me, but still...

He couldn't hear you.....

Interesting note from Jardine post-fight is that one of the judges (didn't say which one) spoke to him afterwards and said he would've taken the fight if it weren't for the knockdown in the last ten seconds.

Quinton is probably the best pure boxer in MMA right now, but Jardine is such an unorthodox striker that he was still able to hurt Rampage with punches, although why he didn't end every combination with a leg kick is a mystery to me. Just watching Vera murder Mike Pat with them really shows what an underutilized and effective weapon the leg kick can be. Perhaps Keith was worried Rampage would telegraph it and take him down, but Keith proved that Rampage couldn't hold him down for more than a few seconds at a time, and as the fight progressed Quinton became more and more tired thus making that theory somewhat suspect. Still, a good fight that started slow but increased in intensity as the match progressed. Still sucks that LYOTO will have to wait again for a title fight, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes.

Gonzaga disappointed me again, which sucks because he possesses so much power in his strikes, particularly his leg kicks, and his jiu-jitsu and wrestling are excellent. He just misses opportunities to put his opponents away, and at this level, mistakes like that don't often go unpunished. Carwin was resilient and proved his power, but it's obvious that he won't get that lucky every fight, particularly against monsters like Velasquez and Kongo, one of whom he will probably see soon.

That post fight was awesome. "You're getting knocked the fuck out x 100" from Rashad and Rampage just talking all kinds of shit. Loved it. "Don't say that Rashad...don't say that." Quentin is the best.

Carwin's chin got tested last night, man. Gabe hit him with two great shots and even though he was rocked he recovered and won.

Oh, and BAAAAAARN CAAAAT, MOTHERFUCKERS! He earned some fans with that post-fight interview, that's for sure.

Quinton is probably the best pure boxer in MMA right now, but Jardine is such an unorthodox striker that he was still able to hurt Rampage with punches, although why he didn't end every combination with a leg kick is a mystery to me. Just watching Vera murder Mike Pat with them really shows what an underutilized and effective weapon the leg kick can be. Perhaps Keith was worried Rampage would telegraph it and take him down, but Keith proved that Rampage couldn't hold him down for more than a few seconds at a time, and as the fight progressed Quinton became more and more tired thus making that theory somewhat suspect. Still, a good fight that started slow but increased in intensity as the match progressed. Still sucks that LYOTO will have to wait again for a title fight, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes.

Gonzaga disappointed me again, which sucks because he possesses so much power in his strikes, particularly his leg kicks, and his jiu-jitsu and wrestling are excellent. He just misses opportunities to put his opponents away, and at this level, mistakes like that don't often go unpunished. Carwin was resilient and proved his power, but it's obvious that he won't get that lucky every fight, particularly against monsters like Velasquez and Kongo, one of whom he will probably see soon.

I don't think it was a question of Rampage not being able to keep Jardine down so much as he was going for the takedowns purely for points with the judges.

Some interesting notes from Meltzer in the WOR recap of the show:

Apparently, Dana White was unaware of the problems with Mir. After the weigh-ins, Kevin Iole and Neil Davidson, who had heard the knee story from Mir, spoke to Dana about what was happening and he denied the story, as he didn't know about it and figured if it was true he would have heard. After the conversation, Dana thought there might be something to it so he made some calls and Joe Silva made some calls and they found out the Mir had arthroscopic surgery on one of his knees. Mir's people asked for a delay and were told it might not be possible given that so many tickets had just been sold. Rashad Evans was doing PR work and when UFC went to him Evans said he could fight (in May), however their first choice to go to was GSP, who told them he couldn't do it as after the Penn fight he went right back to camp to help train Nate Marquardt for his fight recently and he wasn't able to go back to camp again so soon. Machida was called and verbally agreed to fight Rashad on the 23rd. Mir was then called and told his fight with Lesnar could be delayed and it's a virtual lock to take place on July 11th. However, the UFC thought process was that Jackson was the bigger star and if he won then he'd get the shot at Rashad in May instead. The clincher here is that Jackson, after doing the in-ring stuff with Rashad, was unaware that the fight had been moved to May, and subsequently was in a horrible mood at the press conference. He was then told that he didn't have to make a decision about taking the fight now and he could take some time to think it, probably by the end of the week, and if Jackson does turn down the fight then Machida will face Rashad in May and Jackson will get the winner. Also, Lesnar, as of at least Friday night, had no idea anything was wrong with his fight with Mir.

They also talked about the Yves Lavigne deal. What had happened is that earlier in the night, the Aaron Riley/Shane Nelson feature what Dave called the 'worst stoppage I've ever seen in UFC history', with nobody in press row disagreeing with that assessment and the crowd going ballistic. The ref apparently wanted to change his might but thought he couldn't. Subsequently, the comission or someone told the referee's that in a similar situation, if you mess up this bad, you can change your mind, which appears to be what happened with Yves.

Dana White can't bench for about week because he was so furious about what was happening in the Brown fight that he was pounding on the cage and the mat for Yves to stop the fight and wound up hurting himself to some degree.

Matt Hamil had 'tremendous heat from the fighters, some with management and some with the fans' over his promo jumping and down because Munoz was still out cold.

Subsequently, the comission or someone told the referee's that in a similar situation, if you mess up this bad, you can change your mind, which appears to be what happened with Yves.

That is the dumbest and most terrible idea ever.

Matt Hamil had 'tremendous heat from the fighters, some with management and some with the fans' over his promo jumping and down because Munoz was still out cold.

It's the TUF 3 house all over again.

Oh whateverthefuckever on this whole "getting heat" issue. Hometown crowd + awesome KO that's your first = excitement. Could he have shown a little reserve in his celebration? Of course but I'm not gonna get on him for being happy.

Are you kidding me?! I've seen far worse and far more disrespectful stuff than that...

Oh whateverthefuckever on this whole "getting heat" issue. Hometown crowd + awesome KO that's your first = excitement. Could he have shown a little reserve in his celebration? Of course but I'm not gonna get on him for being happy.

Agreed. People gave Rashad shit after he KO'd Sean Salmon.

People need to stop acting like bitches.

It's not like this is an Al Hassan/Cantwell situation where Hammill was all "I couldn't wait to kick his head off!" in the post-fight.

Also Jardine using the Moby theme from the Bourne Trilogy was ace. Awesome song and really thematic for entrance music.