TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Sidekick named for "Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien"

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40221

NBC ANNOUNCES THAT ANDY RICHTER WILL REUNITE WITH CONAN O'BRIEN WHEN HE RETURNS FOR NEW 'THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH CONAN O’BRIEN'

O'Brien and Richter to Work Together for First Time on a Daily Basis in Almost Nine Years as He Rejoins Late-Night Television as The Announcer on “The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien” Beginning June 1 in Los Angeles

needless to say if you click the link there's more to the story.

Looking forward to Andy and Conan back together again

Fuck! It's getting tough to choose between the new Tonight show and Letterman. Leno made is so much easier to choose Letterman over him.

Fuck! It's getting tough to choose between the new Tonight show and Letterman. Leno made is so much easier to choose Letterman over him.

Agreed. I think I'll check Conan out a lot in the beginning, and then do a lot of back and forth

What the fuck?!?!! No Joel?!?!?!

Did you been watch the opening credits for the last week of Late Night? Basically every time Joel made some sort of interjection basically implying how many days left he had on the job. It's unfortunate, because it'll take me forever to get used to Conan's name not being said in that way Joel did it where he pronounced "Brien" like it was two separate words, and Joel was just a hilarious addition to any skit he was in. But if not Joel, then Conan and Andy together again I'm very, very cool with and maybe Joel can be flown crosscountry to fill in if ever necessary. (Or so I can dream.)

Agreed. I think I'll check Conan out a lot in the beginning, and then do a lot of back and forth

Thank goodness for living in the DVR age. Even if I couldn't record two programs at once, there's always the west coast time shifted channels.

Guest Vitamin X

What, he can't pre-record the intro or something from New York and have it sent to L.A.? He won't participate in the skits, but it's a taped show, not live. no reason they can't do that.

I only say this because it would be awful not to hear his voice intro'ing Conan.

What, he can't pre-record the intro or something from New York and have it sent to L.A.? He won't participate in the skits, but it's a taped show, not live. no reason they can't do that.

I only say this because it would be awful not to hear his voice intro'ing Conan.

I think his intros for some of the last episodes were pre-records - Conan was giving Joel a lot of praise but he was never shown on camera, making me think he just wasn't there.

Here's a question. Does Conan even NEED Richter there now?

From the reading of it, it just says announcer and in comedy bits, which isn't a problem. Somebody's got to fill Joel's role. Having him on the couch? Seems like it'd be a backwards move to me. I'll admit to being a late bloomer to the show so I'm not hugely familiar with Richter, but Conan's more than entertaining enough not to need a 'sidekick' anymore. Plus he's got the band to bounce stuff off live.

EDIT: I mean, I understand why he'd want Richter on the show and I'm not saying he shouldn't be. I just think Conan would be better solo now than with someone next to him/across from him.

Here's a question. Does Conan even NEED Richter there now?

From the reading of it, it just says announcer and in comedy bits, which isn't a problem. Somebody's got to fill Joel's role. Having him on the couch? Seems like it'd be a backwards move to me. I'll admit to being a late bloomer to the show so I'm not hugely familiar with Richter, but Conan's more than entertaining enough not to need a 'sidekick' anymore. Plus he's got the band to bounce stuff off live.

EDIT: I mean, I understand why he'd want Richter on the show and I'm not saying he shouldn't be. I just think Conan would be better solo now than with someone next to him/across from him.

ANDY!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ed McMahon announce Carson and sit on the couch in the last days of the Tonight Show?

He'd done so since the 60s. When Ed was off, bandleader Doc Severenson would take his place.

I'm happy because they really had some great chemistry and it could mean the return of some of my favorite bits (Staring Contest and Driving the Desk).

One of my favorite Conan moments of all time was Conan discussing how somebody had murdered a rare parrot at a zoo prompting the audience to respond with the typical "Awwwwww" reaction.

Andy butts in with "Well, hold on a sec. What if this bird was a real asshole?".

I started watching the show a couple of years before Andy left. I think this can only be a good thing. Both the staring contest, and the desk driving can be done on an early show. There aren't masturbating bear, or pimpbot. This is a good thing, because the first year or two could and should be kind of rough.

The one interview on Conan's show that I have never been able to find but have heard so much about is his interview with Goldust in 1996. I've heard it was akward to say the least.

Andy was/is a huge wrestling fan which was probably the reason Conan had wrestlers on even during the mid 90s dark ages (and of course during the attitude era)

Conan once told a story of Andy reading the Observer (or Torch) during dress rehearsal

I've always wanted to see the Yokozuna interview. I don't remember which PPV (Mania IX?) but one of them from 1993 has a reference to Yokozuna being on Conan.

I'm pretty sure that it was just before Survivor Series '93.

Boy, Andy's career went a whole lot of nowhere though. He had multiple shows, all ratings failures, and now he's back to doing what he did nine years ago.

The best thing about this is now I don't have to choose between Craig Ferguson and Conan. That was a more difficult decision for me. This might be enough to convince me to flip between Conan and Dave before flipping to Craig to call it a night. Cause I really fell out of early late night since Dave had a kid and Leno remained a boring sack.