TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2009 World Baseball Classic

Have steroids made anyone else's arm implode?

Steroids are the witchcraft of the 21st century. Guy is injury prone? Steroids. Guy stays healthy unusually long? Steroids. Guy has a great season? Steroids. Guy has a disappointing season? Must've stopped taking steroids. Kills his wife and son? Steroids.

Maybe you should implement a steriod word filter.

Have steroids made anyone else's arm implode?

Steroids are the witchcraft of the 21st century. Guy is injury prone? Steroids. Guy stays healthy unusually long? Steroids. Guy has a great season? Steroids. Guy has a disappointing season? Must've stopped taking steroids. Kills his wife and son? Steroids.

Maybe you should implement a steriod word filter.

I'd go with "something you shoot in your BUTT" in honor of Gary Sheffield's explanation of what is and isn't a steroid a few years back.

So who's closing for the U.S.? Putz? Bell? ZIGGY~?

Edit: WE'RE NOT CLUTCH! Where's David Eckstein?

Guest Smues

It's JJ Putz to 'put out the fire' oh har har. And maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I swear in the 8th one of the announcers, when wondering who would close in the 9th, mentioned that they had Putz and Adam Dunn in the bullpen.

Man, can't even make jokes at my own team's expense anymore. Everybody's too unbelievably hilarious already.

Guest Smues

And team USA hangs on to win. That was a pretty fun game, with a very hot crowd.

I just noticed that this is the only pool that has the winner's bracket game the next day and gives the loser's the day off which goes against all logic. Just a hunch it was done to get the winner's bracket game in the Sunday Night Baseball timeslot rather than on Monday which is for college basketball on ESPN.

Guest Vitamin X

You know what is some bullllllshit? Pool 1 is being played in San Diego and Pool 2 in Miami. There's no possible way that the Cuban team can go and play in Miami since they're not in Pool C or D. Jesus, that would have been awesome.

They could have sold out Dolphin Stadium two times over with ex pats alone. Talk about a hot crowd.

Guest Vitamin X

Right, and consider that it'd be interesting to see if they'd cheer or boo. (I and pretty much everyone else in my family would cheer) But a lot of the hardline anti-Castro Cubans will be fiercely against them.

I mean I could see them putting Cuba in the non U.S. or other Latin American country pool so that they can be matched up in the finals, but it still kind of sucks. Instead Cuba has to deal with playing in the same pool as Mexico in Mexico City, then San Diego, THEN possibly playing the finals in Los Angeles! The hell kinda logic is that?

Just got back from the Canada/USA game. It was agonizingly close there, but at least we proved the upset last time wasn't a fluke. It was the most pumped I've seen the SkyDome for baseball in years.

Tomorrow's Games:

5:30am, ESPN2: Korea vs. China. Loser is eliminated, winner advances.

2pm, MLBN: South Africa vs. Cuba.

4:30pm, ESPN: Panama vs. Dominican Republic. Loser is eliminated, winner faces Puerto Rico/Netherlands loser.

8pm, ESPN: United States vs. Italy/Venezuela winner. Winner advances.

9pm, MLBN: Australia vs. Mexico.

I just noticed that this is the only pool that has the winner's bracket game the next day and gives the loser's the day off which goes against all logic. Just a hunch it was done to get the winner's bracket game in the Sunday Night Baseball timeslot rather than on Monday which is for college basketball on ESPN.

That's probably true, but remember the loser of that game will have the day of rest advantage over the team that won from the loser's bracket.

Guest Vitamin X
I'd love to see them go ahead and play a full round in Havana.

That would be incredible, but I don't know what teams you'd have to throw in that pool for it to happen. The USA obviously wouldn't be able to go and I'm wondering if there's even any legal problems involved with doing that? And the infrastructure and tourism, since a good chunk of the WBC's attendance is most likely American? That's the big problem right there.

Still, the heat would've been incredible in Miami for the Cuban team, positive or negative. God, even putting a Cuba-USA final there? I think Miami would just completely implode and become an island or something.

Guest Czech please!
Just got back from the Canada/USA game. It was agonizingly close there, but at least we proved the upset last time wasn't a fluke. It was the most pumped I've seen the SkyDome for baseball in years.

That's really sad.

That's really sad.

I KNOEZ.

Come on man. Lets not make it a crime to root for your country so hard.

That's really sad.

You haven't been following the Blue Jays much have you?

Opening Day at the Dome is always awesome and usually draws close to 50,000. Regular season numbers are respectable, despite the years of mediocrity.

Guest Czech please!

That's my point. I feel bad for you guys that the Blue Jays have been stuck under the YankSox glass ceiling for so long, and short of realignment or taking Rays-like steps to tear the whole thing down and dream it all up again, there's no way they're ever going to rekindle the popularity they had in the glory days. So instead of getting excited for the Blue Jays, Canadians are now forced to care deeply about Team Canada almost beating Team USA in a silly and tribalist exhibition game that can determine nothing.

Speaking of the SkyDome and tearing things down, is there any way the Blue Jays won't have to play in that thing for another fifty years? With the closing of the Metrodome it will move from the third-worst to the second-worst park in baseball. The pains of being an early adopter, I guess.

A playoff birth could certainly rekindle the glory days. They had the most potential in 2006, but I think 2010 could be the next big run if guys like Snider, Lind, Cecil, etc. take off this year.