TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2009 World Baseball Classic

It's really not that bad, there's just nothing memorable about it. All the things that made it state of the art 20 years ago -- the retractable roof, the JumboTron -- have been done elsewhere. There used to be a problem with the turf, but the installation of FieldTurf solved that.

That game was fucking awesome to watch live. The place was absolutely rocking in the 9th inning like I don't think I've ever seen it, even during the glory years. Watching the national team in Canada, no matter what the sport or the event, brings out a passion in the fans that's just fun to be a part of.

Oh, and Joey Votto can come play for the Jays whenever he's able. JOEY! JOEY! JOEY!

Guest Czech please!

So you're saying an exhibition game means more than the World Series? I hope you're wrong. And here we are in the other thread saying the A's should move to Portland.

That was really fun. I didn't expect to get that caught up in it and some of it got over the top (the 'MVP' chants for Morneau, mostly), but still, most fun I've had at a baseball game.

It was also the first time I've sat in the 500s there (and I was WAY up there, like 2 rows from the top), but behind home plate is a really good view.

If the players don't think it's an exhibition, it isn't an exhibition. I got won over today. They care, I care.

That was really fun. I didn't expect to get that caught up in it and some of it got over the top (the 'MVP' chants for Morneau, mostly), but still, most fun I've had at a baseball game.

It was also the first time I've sat in the 500s there (and I was WAY up there, like 2 rows from the top), but behind home plate is a really good view.

Lies!! Nothing is too over the top when it comes to Morneau.

Well, they're idiots, then.

Czech, just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's completely stupid and irrelevant. The attendance and ratings numbers don't back up your arguments. If you really don't care about it, just stop watching and stop posting in this thread.

But that wouldn't fit your usual modus operandi, I guess.

If the players don't think it's an exhibition, it isn't an exhibition. I got won over today. They care, I care.

Me too. This was far different than a normal Grapefruit League or even regular season MLB game. I won't pretend it is more important the World Series, but it is the next best thing as far as baseball is concerned (at least for Canadians).

International competition is very much important. The '72 Summit Series is the greatest sporting moment in Canadian history and it was just an exhibition between two countries.

Guest Czech please!

No, Kahran, you're wrong. The world is so different now than it was in 1972; that's the point I was trying to make. The Miracle on Ice is the biggest one for us for much the same reasons, but we can't have anything like that anymore. There's nothing mysterious or evil or anything about these other players like there used to be. They're just guys. We see 'em all year if they're worth seeing. None of it matters anymore. All that matters is the World Series, and in my view and the view of many who unfortunately don't post on a message board with me to back me up here, this compromises what matters. In terms of having a rooting interest, international competition is irrelevant to smart and well-adjusted fans. Americans, at least. Canadians can still get excited, I guess, because you guys have kind of a silly complex about Being Canadian that flies under the radar while we get stereotyped as jingoistic drooling goons, but Americans should be rooting for "No [Team]s Getting Hurt."

So because Americans may not care about it quite as much as people from other countries, they should not have this tournament at all?

The point of the WBC from the American side isn't "us versus them." It's to expand baseball into other countries in hopes of further cultivating the talent pool. For other countries it matters because their players are viewing a talent pool bigger than usual. For Cuba for example, this is absolutely huge.

And the Reds are now reportedly very upset, as they had an agreement with the DR that Cueto and Volquez wouldn't go over 60 pitches due to potential arm strain. In his very first outing Cueto threw 71 pitces in a hot stressful environment. The reds beat writer said GM Walt Jocketty has already called the MLB office furious.

And the Reds are now reportedly very upset, as they had an agreement with the DR that Cueto and Volquez wouldn't go over 60 pitches due to potential arm strain. In his very first outing Cueto threw 71 pitces in a hot stressful environment. The reds beat writer said GM Walt Jocketty has already called the MLB office furious.

Czech is absolutely correct, the WBC is a stupid idea.

I question the legitimacy of a few of the teams like South Africa and the Netherlands and the fact that they probably shouldn't be there. Plus, a lot of good players end up pulling out in the last minute fearing they will get hurt.

Players are just as likely to get hurt in a meaningless Spring Training game as they are in the WBC. Some people act like there is some how no risk of injury if they stay with their team in Spring Training. Hell for decades now they've been playing the Caribbean Series with MLB players and you've never heard a peep about injury concerns for that tournament.

I will say though the "seeding" games between the two teams who are already advancing in each pool is truly pointless and I think are just played to bring in more revenue for the tournament. They should just place the team who won their first two games as the #1 seed from the pool and the team that had to advance through an elimination game as the #2 seed.

I question the legitimacy of a few of the teams like South Africa and the Netherlands and the fact that they probably shouldn't be there. Plus, a lot of good players end up pulling out in the last minute fearing they will get hurt.

The Netherlands have a professional league. Absolutely they should be there. Ditto Italy. Now the presence of ringers is a side issue, but the Dutch don't really have that. I think South Africa and Panama are the only teams that don't have professional leagues of some sort.

I agree that while the WBC is fun, it really isn't that important. My personal reason for thinking this is the amount of players that choose to just pass on playing who are not hurt. The guys who just don't want to play in it.

Maybe they should hold Dusty Baker to the same standards.

Players should only get hurt in spring training!

KG and Tim Duncan passed up opportunities to join Team USA, and trust me, that Gold medal win was important.

I always wondered about that argument. Why are fans so much more outraged over somebody getting injured in San Juan instead of Florida?

It works that way in all sports. Somebody gets injured in an NFL Preseason Game and it is a travesty. Tom Brady gets injured 10 minutes into the first quarter of the first game after missing the entire preseason, and that's okay.

Injuries happen. Quit whining.

Eleven pitches. My god. Will Cueto ever survive the strain?

Tell that to a team and a GM that have a throwing plan established for their pitchers. For the record Reds pitchers in this part of spring training get taken out after 50 pitches. With each start after they add more pitches until they begin to level off near the end. They were allowing Cueto and Volquez to throw 10 more, but the DR were strictly told to take them out at 60. Alou said he wanted Cueto to get the win because he deserved it.

Part of the problem with Cueto is the reds allowed him to pitch in the winter leagues because they didn't think he would be on the DR roster. So now he pitched more innings then he ever has last season, then pitched in the winter leagues, and now is pitching in the WBC. That is why the Reds didn't want him to go and tried to hold him back, and partly why Jocketty was so upset on the radio today (along with Alou breaking the deal).

Jocketty said the plan was for Cueto to have a very light and easy spring training due to the amount of pitches he threw last year between the bigs and winterball. I guess that's not happening now.

Yup, how else would Youkilis have scored on a triple if he hadn't gone 1st to 3rd?

Also Derek Jeter paying for dinner is very important to winning baseball. Seriously somebody fucking shoot Rick Sutcliffe.