TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
YourKock'sReallyGreat

MLB 09 The Show & MLB 2k9

It's almost that time again with both games coming out next week. Which one are you buying and why? I am going to get MLB 09 again after having MLB 08 last year. MLB 08 was the best baseball videogame that I haver owned and everything that was great about it has been improved in 09. I loved Road to the Show and this year they improved it 10 fold. I hated doing the base running and fielding aspect of it. My player was a first basemen so it was boring waiting for someone to throw the ball over to first base or waiting for the pitcher to throw over. They now have options for you to do all, non routine plays or no plays in the field. The graphics and attention to detail in the game is spot on as well and I loved playing the demo.

http://www.operationsports.com/videoview_game.php?id=560

I may not buy a game this year. Last year's game was nothing more than a roster update, and the whole series is a step down from the superior MVP Baseball line EA Sports made before the exclusivity agreement.

I may not buy a game this year. Last year's game was nothing more than a roster update, and the whole series is a step down from the superior MVP Baseball line EA Sports made before the exclusivity agreement.

MLB 08 The Show was an incredible upgrade over 07...

MLB 08 The Show was an incredible upgrade over 07...

Have you seen all of the new stuff in 09? The game looks incredible.

As Smues and I were talking about in the 360 thread, there's a demo out for 2K9 right now. It's really mediocre as they seem to have really scaled down on the visuals and the animations; the swings look particularly off.

As Smues and I were talking about in the 360 thread, there's a demo out for 2K9 right now. It's really mediocre as they seem to have really scaled down on the visuals and the animations; the swings look particularly off.

If thats the case I feel bad for people who love baseball games and only have the 360. I cant wait to play games in the New Yankee Stadium and Citifield.

Guest Smues

I really, really, really hope that's just a result of it being a small downloadable demo and not the finished product, but I am worried. I really want to stick with the 2k series, because I'm fucking sick of switching baseball games, I've done it enough for one decade. (high heat company goes out of business, so then MVP ok that's good, oops sorry bullshit exclusivity agreement ok onto the Show. Meh, but ok it's playable. Oops sorry you don't own a PS3 yet, just an x-box 360, so you're stuck with 2k. Aren't exclusivity agreements awesome?)

Does anybody know what, if any, the freebies are for each game this year? I read somewhere that The Show won't do the free hat this year, but was going to have some free download of some kind. As I've heard nothing on 2k9 if it'll have a bobblehead or anything. Unless 2k9 has a rocking freebie, I might just wait until I get it from gamefly, and if it's decent pay to keep it.

I didn't play the full game of 2K last year, but based on my impressions from the demo, I thought 2K8 was a huge step down from the excellent 2K7. I plan to buy a PS3 in the next week or two, so I think my game of choice will be The Show, though I will try the 2K9 demo.

I plan on buying Out of the Park Baseball myself. It's a simulation, but the amount of customization possible is absolutely incredible.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/

As far as the Show from '07 to '08, I assume those massive changes were in the Road to the Show options? I found regular gameplay almost exactly the same. It does not accurately simulate a real baseball season or franchise at ALL. Rookies are given low ratings regardless of what their actual skills are. The game moves and feels like crap. And it's buggy.

2K8 was a huge step down from the excellent 2K7

This. I'm in the market for a Blu Ray player, so I'm liable to cave and just buy a PS3. The last Show I played was I think '03, but it was phenomenal then. If I bought a PS1 for ECW Anarchy Rulz, I can buy a PS3 for The Show.

I'm kinda in a tough spot. I have the blockbuster monthly pass, so I can rent MLB 2k9. The problem is that my darling 360 just died for the third time in the last two years, and I can't pay the one hundred dollars to send it in right now. I have an old PS2 that could play the downgraded version. I do wonder how much of a difference there will be in the gameplay and everything. I have absolutely no faith in MLB 2k9 not being glitchy and choppy. And for all I know, my store won't be carrying the PS2 version of The Show. It's also very possible that the PS2 version will suck and feature absolutely nothing.

My guess is that the PS2 version will be similar to the version from last year, but maybe with the RTTS tweaks thrown in. I mean, '08 was pretty similar to '07 from what I remember.

I've been playing the PS3 demo of The Show: 09, and man, I can't get the hitting down at all. I can pull off a bunt single once or twice a game, but everything I make contact with seems to be a ground out or fly out. It's frustrating because I can do well pitching with Cole Hamels, but it's hard to keep a scoreless game going indefinitely.

My guess is that the PS2 version will be similar to the version from last year, but maybe with the RTTS tweaks thrown in. I mean, '08 was pretty similar to '07 from what I remember.

I've been playing the PS3 demo of The Show: 09, and man, I can't get the hitting down at all. I can pull off a bunt single once or twice a game, but everything I make contact with seems to be a ground out or fly out. It's frustrating because I can do well pitching with Cole Hamels, but it's hard to keep a scoreless game going indefinitely.

I haven't noticed but did they put sliders in the demo? I do alot of guess pitching and I usually wait for the fastball to hit. If the pitch is on the outside of the plate dont even bother swinging at it unless you are trying to stay alive. The first couple of games I was striking out like crazy but now I am getting a couple of doubles, singles and homeruns thrown into the mix. I scored 3/5 in the last 2 games that I played. The 5 runs came in 5 innings due to a tie after 3 innings. I still strike out like crazy because I like to work the count and try to draw a walk or a very easy pitch to hit. You are just goig to have to learn to wait that extra half a second before you swing. I know that they put in batting practice into the game which is going to come in handy.

Quick question regarding these new games. The last one I purchased was EA's MVP 05 for the PS2 and I haven't played anything that has come out since then, is a transition to The Show for PS3 going to be difficult? I'm aware there will be some difficulty as it's a different engine and a better system.

http://www.pastapadre.com/6559/serious-pro...mode-discovered

Huge fuckup in the franchise mode for MLB 2k9 which will be fixed by a patch on release day. I can only imagine what else got by during testing. The premise is that during the off season the computer controlled teams do not sign free agents because they dont have the money to do so. I hope your system is connected online to download the patch if you buy the game.

I played the 360 demo yesterday. Seemed pretty cool to me except the pitching with the joystick was a little confusing and there weren't any options to tell me how to do it correctly from the pause screen.

My brother just bought a 360 a few weeks ago. I had The Show 08 for PS2 and I liked it alot, compared to 2K6 (which I liked alot) and 2K7 (which I hated since it was basically 2K6 again). Which will end up being a better way to go? 2K9 for Xbox or Show 09 for PS2?

I might be taking the game home early today if it got shipped to my store this afternoon. I'll let you guys know how it plays for a full game and such if anyone's interested..

Guest Smues

Sounds like I may have to get my franchise through a season or two before I download the patch. No competition for free agents!

Oh, and that a pretty inexcusable fuckup. Yes, it's patched, but plenty of people won't be able to get that patch. Especially since the 360 doesn't have built in wi-fi and plenty of people don't have access to a wired connection. On the other hand I fully intend to exploit it, so I'm not complaining.

So I start up 2k9 and "Final Countdown" begins. I feel like this game is going to be awesome.

I begin to play and realize its a shinier version of 2k8. I weep.

Total Control Pitching I think was dumbed down and the "motion" isn't really needed..as long as you make the general motion, your pitch is true.

Didn't tinker with the "zone hitting" aspect but in playing a BS game of Royals -at- NL Classics, the hitting is still broken. Final score was something like 28 - 20something, Classics with there being a point in the game where I think I rallied off like, five or six homeruns in my half of the inning.

Fielding is meh. The stupid slow down of a fielder before he catches the ball is still there and it just seemed as if everything was generally slower.

The end-game stats have a "Pepsi Clutch Player of the Game" and its all just a veiled attempt at trying to make it like NBA 2k9 with the top 3 plays and "dynamic catches" and "signature highlights".

Add to this the stupid season bug and yeah..what a way to go out on, eh?

Oh! There's a trailer for The Bigs 2. Seemed nice..a bit more "arcadey" and they've got some classic uni's and players in there. You see Clemente and the whole thing ends with the crowd chanting "Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!" as you see a shot of Reggie in his #44 Yankee jersey belt a ball into the light fixture.

It has sliders but I was running this on the basic settings from just popping it in and playing.

I get that sliders are there to create a "unique" user experience, but if you're using them to create an "acurate" portrayal of a sport that the default settings of the game should already recreate, there's a problem.

The computer hit a few deep bombs too..I'd say a total of 10+HR's between the two teams.

MLB 09 The Show is 57 new without tax and free shipping if you pre order it off of Amazon. You save 8 dollars if you are willing to wait a couple of days to receive it.

You actually get free release day delivery if you preorder:

mlb09-rdd-2-tcg._V250530431_.jpg