TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
krease

BNL doesn't break up

sherman.jpg

"And nothing of value was lost!"

I have a feeling more Americans will care about this then Canadians as their fanbase South of the border is larger then in Canada.

Here's hoping Stephen Page puts out that cocaine rap album we've all been waiting for.

Guest Smues

This will make my wife sad, as they were her favorite band. They've got some decent stuff, but I haven't cared for most of there recent music, so I agree with the Jay Sherman comment. And Page is kind of a fuckhead anyway, so I think they'll be better off without him.

This will make my wife sad, as they were her favorite band. They've got some decent stuff, but I haven't cared for most of there recent music, so I agree with the Jay Sherman comment. And Page is kind of a fuckhead anyway, so I think they'll be better off without him.

My sister will be heartbroken. This has been her favorite band since "One Week" was a hit.

:o

CTV, CP24 & CityNews up here are treating it like it's the equivalent of the Beatles breaking up. *shrug* Last I checked, the band isn't breaking up, one guy is just leaving to go it alone. Big whoop - it's not like they were ever any good. I slot them in the same category as Hootie & the Blowfish - unlistenable.

In the summer of either 1999 or 2000, there was something called Rockfest, which IIRC was in Joliet, IL, or I could just be thinking that because it was definitely held at a race track. Anyways, the main attraction for this was Metallica, but it was an all-day concert featuring Kid Rock, Stone Temple Pilots, Veruca Salt (sp?), some other bands I don't remember, and Barenaked Ladies. Needless to say, after several hours in the hot sun, standing up the whole time because it was the only way my friend and I (who were like 13 at the time) could be near the stage, and surrounded by mostly white trash, BNL was not well-received.

Guest Czech please!
I slot them in the same category as Hootie & the Blowfish - unlistenable.

What? Hootie and the Blowfish's fatal flaw is that they're eminently listenable, and thus make you complacent with pleasantly unchallenging MOR rock. Barenaked Ladies were just affectedly quirky and lame. You're not smart.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Page Kinetic to this thing. He hates this band worse than I hate Rex Grossman.

Czech's right re: both BNL and Hootie. Except for the former's "One Week," both bands never created anything other than fluffy, marginal blah-rock perfect for scoring your visit to the supermarket or gym. If either deserve hatred, it's due to the desire of both bands to do little more than exist for their easily entertained audiences. Something this competently, if perfunctorily, performed can never be "unlistenable."

Yeah, as the board's most prominent fan of said '90s fluff rock, I can say that I'm rather indifferent to Stephen Page leaving Barenaked Ladies. Inc pretty much summed it up best. Nothing great, nothing horrible just sort of there.

And "Let Her Cry" is really a great '90s MOR ballad. BNL never really did anything as half as good.

Guest Czech please!
Czech's right re: both BNL and Hootie. Except for the former's "One Week," both bands never created anything other than fluffy, marginal blah-rock perfect for scoring your visit to the supermarket or gym. If either deserve hatred, it's due to the desire of both bands to do little more than exist for their easily entertained audiences. Something this competently, if perfunctorily, performed can never be "unlistenable."

Don't forget that "If I Had A Million Dollars" song which wasn't any good at all. I can't think of anyone that I like from that subsection of kinda light-hearted funny bands. Barenaked Ladies were terrible, They Might Be Giants had a song I liked four years ago but it's not as if I like them, Rush admittedly had their moments, and Weird Al stops being cool after the age of ten.

Does Guster count? They sort of venture into that territory sometimes and they seem to tour with them a lot but I don't know if I'd qualify them as such.

BUTT's right, Rush really has nothing similar to any of those other bands you listed.

Rush?

While I still hate this band and consider "One Week" to be the most grating Top 40 single ever, my hatred for them has subsided somewhat since I no longer have to hear them every day at work.

Don't forget that "If I Had A Million Dollars" song which wasn't any good at all. I can't think of anyone that I like from that subsection of kinda light-hearted funny bands. Barenaked Ladies were terrible, They Might Be Giants had a song I liked four years ago but it's not as if I like them, Rush admittedly had their moments, and Weird Al stops being cool after the age of ten.

Barenaked Ladies had enough "serious" songs to where their being a written off as a quirky joke band isn't entirely fair, but, ultimately, I don't give shit. I know too much about this band, thanks largely to an ex-girlfriend and, to a lesser extent, my sister.

Guest Smues
Oh, who am I kidding:

GordonBarenakedLadies.jpg

Also, they haven't broken up, since some people still seem to be under this impression.

Decent album, awful, awful cover.