TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
krease

BNL doesn't break up

Guest Czech please!

Inserting Rush was my attempt at what might resemble "Kinetic humor," guys. Shan't make that mistake again.

I think my confusion came from the fact that I actually do sort of find Rush amusing. Were this to be genuine article Kinetic humor rather than an homage, I would have gone for something that no one could possibly consider lighthearted or funny, like Robert Johnson or the New Cars.

The band has a cult following, I'm among them. Most of the music that was put out commercially is uber-bubblegum pop dross, but as song writers Robertson and Page are incredible wordsmiths. If anyone cares to check out the album "Maroon" which is probably their best studio album. Their live shows are what made them popular, though. High energy and entertaining to an insane degree. There will be a significant difference without Page's vocal stylings, but the band will certainly keep its fan base. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall though, you just know this has to do with drugs and ego...Page was arrested in July for a cocaine posession charge shortly after divorcing from his wife and dating someone less that half his age or so....

Guest Smues

I was never a huge fan of Maroon. I'd take Maybe You Should Drive or Stunt any day over Maroon. Hell I'd take Gordon or Everything to Everyone over Maroon too. I guess I just didn't 'get' that album.

I slot them in the same category as Hootie & the Blowfish - unlistenable.

What? Hootie and the Blowfish's fatal flaw is that they're eminently listenable, and thus make you complacent with pleasantly unchallenging MOR rock. Barenaked Ladies were just affectedly quirky and lame. You're not smart.

I'm not smart because I don't like either band and find them both unlistenable? I wasn't talking about the unwashed masses here, chief. I was talking about my opinion.

Guest Czech please!

I submit that any designation of Hootie and the Blowfish as "unlistenable" is based on external biases and expectations for how you're supposed to feel. They're a band with an adequately sonorous lead singer, nice and bright melodies and harmonies, and safe but proficient production and engineering. Everything they do must just, on some neurological level, satisfy the human brain and give it the nice major chords and reliable 4/4 rhythm it craves, and that's why almost everyone can at least tolerate this sort of vanilla-rock when encountered, while not immediately racing to collect all their albums and wear all their t-shirts. By calling them "unlistenable" is like the old David Cross bit about "literally shitting your pants": though I get the intent of the dig, you're using the most inaccurate word possible. Peter Brotzmann is unlistenable, and I like Peter Brotzmann. Unless you wear pants on your head and eat soup with your feet, it doesn't stand to reason that you would hear "Only Wanna Be With You" and be immediately revolted to the point where you can no longer bear to hear the sounds coming from your speakers. They've gotten a bad rap because of their singles' ubiquity, the safeness of it all, and the fact that their singer is a black dude playing really "white" music. They're a punchline, in four words everything that was wrong with top 40 radio in the 1990s. Do you feel the same way about Third Eye Blind, the Goo Goo Dolls, Matchox Twenty, and the rest of that decade's vanilla-rock? You can resent them for propagating so much average schlock, and to an extent I do as well, but "unlistenable" is an extreme misnomer.

I'll concede that this isn't much more than a convoluted intellectualization of that popular conceit of the retarded, viz. "well how can they suck if they're popular?!?", but I don't think that makes me wrong or anything. Now, Barenaked Ladies, though, there's some shit I'll turn off.

They had a pretty decent single that got significant radio play in 2000 called "Pinch Me". I always enjoyed pretty much anything I heard from them.