TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Sonjay Dutt Released

It seems that TNA is trying to purge the X-Division. Petey, Rave (also a tag guy, but could compete in X-Division matches), and now Sonjay. Lance Hoyt, I know is a tag guy, but so far 3 of the 4 have been X-Division guys. Hopefully they will bring in Doug Williams now to fill a role in the X-Division.

Ridiculously optimistic, but maybe TNA have realized how badly the current X-Division roster has been treated over the past couple of years and are going get rid of the ones who have been abused the most and bringing in new faces to so they can try and restore the division to its former glory.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/975...-Leaves-TNA.htm

Sonjay Dutt Leaves TNA

Posted by Larry Csonka on 02.21.2009

So long Sonjay…

According to Pwinsider.com, Sonjay Dutt is done with TNA. The two sides were trying to come to terms on a new deal, and when they couldn't, Dutt opted to leave the promotion.

As of last week, TNA was still working on plans for Dutt, so they did not expect him to leave. Also, Dutt was essentially the face of TNA in India, where Impact had done very well on TV.

Dutt's profile has been removed from TNAwrestling.com, and as of now, there is no word on the future of SoCal Val, who had been Dutt's on air valet and love interest.

According to Prowrestling.net, Dutt has already reached out to The WWE, and The WWE has apparently expressed some interest.

Well, we already pretty much know the next two weeks of Beer Money matches.

Rock n Rave v. Beer Money (somehow both Rock and Rave will get pinned)

Sonjay and ???? v. Beer Money for second week.

I don't think he will be that missed really. He's always been ok in the ring but attempts at building a compelling character with him just havent worked one lick.

Unlike alot of sentiments, I really don't mind some of these older TNA guys not coming back after their contracts would go up. I don't see what Petey, Rave, Lance Hoyt, or Sonjay could do at this point to really give the shows that extra boost of interest anyway. It's like they have been around far too long to mean anything anymore.

Yeah, I don't think anyone TNA has cut is really a big loss. Petey's more or less been a jobber the last few years with sporadic X division runs. Dutt has been little more than an X Division jobber. And Rave and Hoyt were jobbers. It just seems like TNA trimming the fat of guys they know they don't have a lot of use for and really have no reason to be paying. Whether that's because they're just trying to save money in general, are making room for additions (be that the knockouts who have been added, indie players, or recent WWE releases like London, Burke, and Dinsmore), or just being fiscally responsible.

It may stink for someone who is a fan of Petey or Dutt but its hard to really argue they were going anywhere in TNA.

EDIT: That means Dutt leaves never having won the X title, which is a bit of a dubious achievement for a guy who joined the company 4-5 years ago right in the X Title mix.

I always though Sonjay could have been a great heel had they expanded that Guru gimmick. Having him act all peaceful and ghandi-like during interviews and then turning around and cheating to win all his matches would have been great.

With a lot of these X-Division guys being gone, this makes me wonder if TNA is going through with that idea I heard about one time, where they thought about actually getting rid of the X-Division. Pretty much all the X-Division guys have moved on to bigger things like Styles, or they have become jobbers, so it wouldn't surprise me to see TNA do this, especially since they become more like WWE every year.

I don't think they are killing off the X-Division, just cleaning it up a bit. Especially with guys like Shelley, Creed, Lethal, Sabin, Doug Williams and Homicide (who I think it the type of guy that can save the division).

On another note, I like the fact that Hernandez still gets a world title shot, and the fact that TNA explained it makes it work.

I think he must just be good friends with Jarrett. BG James is...so it would stand to reason that Kip is probably in Jarrett's friend circle as well. There's no other explanation at this point really.

Isn't BG a road agent of some sort? It amazes me that Kip is still with the company.

Dutt going is no big loss, as Lopez said, it's just cutting the fat.

The problem TNA has is a massive roster and only 2 hours of TV a week. There is just no time to get everyone on and in good storylines.