TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Truthiness

Robert Roode: Future Star?

According to a report in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE has interest in signing one-half of the TNA Tag Team Champions, Robert Roode. Roode’s current deal with TNA expires in either March or April of this year.

Roode was trained in his hometown of Peterborough, Ontario, by fellow Canadians Val Venis and Shane Sewell. He worked for indy promotions all over Canada as Bobby Rude before being signed by TNA. He debuted in the company as a part of the Team Canada stable in the summer of 2004.

After the break up of Team Canada, Roode began referring to himself as "TNA's hottest free agent" and transitioned into his Robert Roode Inc. gimmick with Ms. Brooks before joining James Storm as one half of the team Beer Money Inc.

The feeling within TNA is that they should try their best to keep Roode happy because he is viewed as a major asset to the company.

Credit: Wrestling Observer

See, I've been saying this for over a year now, the guy has a ton of potential. WWE is custom made for a guy likie Robert Roode. Ironically enough he is one of the few guys TNA has protected for years.

I have mixed emotions. I don't want Beer Money to break up, but I really want to see Roode move up to the next level. I wonder what stupid name creative would saddle him with.

Anyone who thinks that WWE is trying to get Roode due to wrestling ability might be looking at this too hard. He's one half of the Tag Team champions. The E right now is going to try to get anyone they can and make them look bad. Doing this, in their mind, shows that TNA is still the minor leagues compared to them. I like Roode, and have been one of the few on here to have his back for a long time, but I think he would be stupid to go to the E. He has a lighter schedule, and can milk Jarrett and Dixie for a lot of money, and maybe even a title win in his contract. Roode pretty much has TNA where he wants them at this point.

The thing is Roode has basically proven to be, well, a tag wrestler. His singles work is average at best and awful at its worst (Eric Young feud anyone?). He's perfect for the role he's in now, since his size and ability quite honestly aren't main event stuff.

TNA and Robert Roode have agreed to terms on a new contract. If he hasn't officially signed the deal, it sounds like it's merely a formality at this point.

Powell's POV: I've spoken with people in WWE who stated that the company had interest in Roode, which has been reported elsewhere since then. However, a source close to the situation said that whatever interest there may have been never led to a formal contract offer from WWE.

Roode appears to be staying. Which is a good move on TNA's part since as Truthiness said...he's one of the few "homegrown" guys that they have protected and is actually worth something.

Roode appears to be staying. Which is a good move on TNA's part since as Truthiness said...he's one of the few "homegrown" guys that they have protected and is actually worth something.

If TNA stumble into doing something right, Roode should be a bona fide major league singles heel by the end of the year. Down the line, I can see BMI splitting with Roode staying heel and Storm evolving into an ass kicking babyface, and the two having a major feud in 2010.

Roode was used for Heat/Velocity duty a few times back in the day, IIRC. I vaguely recall a tag match he worked with Tyson Dux (another Canadian/D'Amore guy) as partner.

Roode was used for Heat/Velocity duty a few times back in the day, IIRC. I vaguely recall a tag match he worked with Tyson Dux (another Canadian/D'Amore guy) as partner.

Didn't Eric Young work Velocity as well?

I never thought I'd say this up until this past year, but I could easily see Robert Roode and James Storm having a high profile, main event feud against each other in TNA within the next 2 years.

That's what drives everyone crazy about TNA. They should be using the "names" they have like Sting, Angle, Booker and Nash to make guys like Styles, BMI, LAX and Joe look on their level...and instead all but BMI (because they manage to stay out of the program) look weak. That's not a good plan moving forward. It's insane to me that they have a guy like Angle, who makes everyone look good (BG James people...BG James had a good TV match with Angle) and will seemingly put anyone over (Joe, Styles and Lethal have all gotten clean wins over him) and they don't have him out there working with every young piece of talent they can. He's the main one that they dropped the ball with IMO, because he can make anyone look on his level and they've only bothered to do it sporadically at best.

Thing is, getting a clean win over a guy doesn't mean much when he still gets a push at the end of the day and the younger guy drifts into oblivion. Lethal got a win over Angle so that they could get the X title off him, nothing more. Joe got a win but was booked so ineptly afterwards that he wore out his welcome as champ. Styles got some wins but the whole Karen storyline went nowhere. Meanwhile Angle forms the MEM and runs roughshod over the entire promotion.