TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Agent of Oblivion question of the day

Would Alexander the Great count as a dictator? Dude took his tiny kingdom of Macedonia and turned it into an empire which stretched across three continents, all within his own short life. I can't think of any other example of one person accomplishing that much sheer quantity of conquering.

Also Hitler. He accomplished the most. Edit: For our time.

And then everything he did was quickly erased, all the Germans hated him, Germany ended up becoming less than what it originally was until the Berlin wall came down some 40 something years later, many of his friends committed suicide or were killed by hanging or firing squad, blamed losing the war on the Germans themselves, and then blew his brains out in a bunker. What a guy. Not to forget that he was an idiot as well.

Kim Jong-il for his mystique and fashion sense. He just does it for me.

Definitely Kim Jong-il. Dude launched missiles into the sea of Japan just because he could.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

While the WWII mass murderers are cool and all, the more I read about the guy, the more I have to go with Castro, in terms of the modern dictator. Guy had style!

Fidel%20Castro1.jpg

I never saw a contradiction between the ideas that sustain me and the ideas of that symbol, of that extraordinary figure, Jesus Christ.

That's awesome. Plus, he's been doing his thing literally right under America's nose for DECADES.

Getting into ancient history and conquerors, this discussion begins and ends with Genghis Khan.

Mongol_Empire_map_2.gif

Also Hitler. He accomplished the most. Edit: For our time.

And then everything he did was quickly erased, all the Germans hated him, Germany ended up becoming less than what it originally was until the Berlin wall came down some 40 something years later, many of his friends committed suicide or were killed by hanging or firing squad, blamed losing the war on the Germans themselves, and then blew his brains out in a bunker. What a guy. Not to forget that he was an idiot as well.

And 64 years later you know so much about him! Any non-historian will be saying "Kim Jong-Who?" 64 years from now.

Stalin because his (supposedly) ultimate intentions are easier to justify than those of any 'genetic purity' leader. I know this also applies to a couple of other dictators, but I know more about Stalin than any of them.

Guest Czech please!

I'm going to go with Napoleon, owing to my mild francophilia (thought maybe that should lead me to choose Franco) and that he was short. Nobody can laugh and take it on the chin when they're told they have a Hitler complex, after all.

Question of the Day is a very good concept. I was ready to suspend the No Holds Barred folder for a week, and this saved it.

It's so hard to pick a favorite of all time so I'm going to go with a dark horse candidate, the current President of Equatorial Guinea, Teodoro Obian Nguema Mbasogo

Some highlights, state operated radio declared that he was in direct contact with God and could order someone killed without being taken to account and without going to hell. He's also rumored to practice cannibalism. Badass.

I like Ho-chi minh. How many dictators are revered in the country they dictated? "Ho-chi Minh City" still exists. There are museums about him. His fucking body is on display in the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. Badass.

LEGIT EDIT: hahaha @ Me and Kamala having very syntactically similar posts.

Either Pol Pot or Idi Amin. Mostly due to the cannibalism aspect.

Guest Vitamin X

I'd have to reluctantly agree with Agent there, but I also hate the fucker more than most people do.

For my money though (or maybe not), I think I might have to go Stalin here.

Joseph_Stalin_with_daughter_Svetlana,_1935.jpg

Here's him with his daughter. Can you imagine trying to date Josef fucking Stalin's daughter? Alexei Kapler would know.

Sides, the guy crushed Hitler's army and took care of business in Europe, and pretty much helped establish the USSR as the other global superpower. People these days, despite the gulags and political prisoners, are clamoring for someone like him to come back.

Any answer other than Pol Pot will result in either ten lashes or five shocks of electric discharge.

cimg3008.jpg

Second place goes to Kim Jong-Il on the strength of the greatest round of golf of all time.

Stalin used to make women fuck monkeys to see what would happen. And the women actually wanted to fuck the monkeys. BADASS. Stalin gets my vote.

Sides, the guy crushed Hitler's army and took care of business in Europe, and pretty much helped establish the USSR as the other global superpower. People these days, despite the gulags and political prisoners, are clamoring for someone like him to come back.

Less we forget that he killed FDR.

Would Alexander the Great count as a dictator? Dude took his tiny kingdom of Macedonia and turned it into an empire which stretched across three continents, all within his own short life. I can't think of any other example of one person accomplishing that much sheer quantity of conquering.

While he was pretty cool (dude conquered like, the entire known world), I wouldn't consider him a dictator, because he was a King. He ruled because he had the "Divine Right" to do so, not just cuz the army listened to him, unless I'm mistaken. And yeah, when you were a King back then you could just dictate shit anyway, but I don't think it's the same thing.

My vote goes to Stalin. Grabbed Russia by the balls, slapped it around, and made it into a world superpower. I think that was a pretty big accomplishment, dragging a country the size of Russia into the (then) modern world and turning it into a nation that stared down the US for the next 30 years or so. Plus, he was still in charge of Russia when they got the bomb, wasn't he? Buddy had some serious power.