TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #

1 1 Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail LGF $16,500,000 -59.8% 2,052 +20 $8,041 $64,850,000 - 2

2 N Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience BV $12,700,000 - 1,271 - $9,992 $12,700,000 - 1

3 5 Slumdog Millionaire FoxS $12,150,000 +44.9% 2,943 +699 $4,128 $115,148,000 $15 16

4 3 Taken Fox $9,950,000 -11.8% 3,089 -13 $3,221 $107,882,000 - 5

5 4 He's Just Not That Into You WB (NL) $5,875,000 -31.4% 2,858 -192 $2,056 $78,525,000 - 4

6 7 Paul Blart: Mall Cop Sony $5,600,000 -17.9% 2,698 -137 $2,076 $128,106,000 $26 7

7 2 Coraline Focus $5,252,000 -54.1% 2,063 -92 $2,546 $61,145,000 - 4

8 N Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li Fox $4,650,000 - 1,136 - $4,093 $4,650,000 - 1

9 8 Confessions of a Shopaholic BV $4,490,000 -33.4% 2,534 +27 $1,772 $33,662,000 - 3

10 9 Fired Up SGem $3,800,000 -30.7% 1,811 +1 $2,098 $10,137,000 $20 2

11 6 Friday the 13th (2009) WB (NL) $3,705,000 -53.4% 2,760 -345 $1,342 $60,717,000 $19 3

12 12 Gran Torino WB $2,975,000 -19.1% 1,750 -280 $1,700 $138,585,000 $33 12

Big jump for Slumdog, no surprise though. I figured the damn Jonas Brothers concert would easily take number one, but guess not. Damn, Taken is having some amazing legs on its' run.....I went to it earlier this week and can see why, its a really good job at a storyline premise that I thought was going to be predictable and boring. Felt ALOT like Commando mixed with Bourne Identity.

Guess the Jonas Brothers didn't get the pervert adults crowd like Miley did.

4.5 million on a budget of 60? Does this mean we have our first big bomb of the year in Street Fighter?

Guest Smues

At the theater where I saw Street Fighter they were actually selling glowsticks for the Jonas Brothers concert film. Glowsticks, to use in a movie theater. Yeah.

At the theater where I saw Street Fighter they were actually selling glowsticks for the Jonas Brothers concert film. Glowsticks, to use in a movie theater. Yeah.

That is some seriously ridiculous shit!

So the projections for that 3D concert were 3 TIMES what they did? Ouch, well that experiment sure failed and hopefully we see less and less of those things, especially since aren't tickets like $15-20 per person for that shit? And they wonder why it didn't meet expectations?

I did see a U2 concert in 3D last year though, and it was really good. Best part was it was just the same price as a regular movie. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have bothered going.

-----

On another note, holy diver on Friday the 13th again this week.

Slutty Cyrus

Ugh.

There is something to that though. Miley Cyrus at least got the seedy pervert crowd along with the kids. But Jonas Brothers?

I agree about the Taken comments. One thing to watch in the next few weeks is how Taken performs. Bear in mind Watchmen is rated R and Taken somehow is PG-13, so this could be a situation much like 300 had in 2007. Wild Hogs made way more money than anyone predicted, and the theory was that underaged kids bought tickets for Wild Hogs and snuck into 300.

There is something to that though. Miley Cyrus at least got the seedy pervert crowd along with the kids. But Jonas Brothers?

I agree about the Taken comments. One thing to watch in the next few weeks is how Taken performs. Bear in mind Watchmen is rated R and Taken somehow is PG-13, so this could be a situation much like 300 had in 2007. Wild Hogs made way more money than anyone predicted, and the theory was that underaged kids bought tickets for Wild Hogs and snuck into 300.

Actually, saw a lot of teens in Wild Hogs when it was out. It was a harmless comedy and those usually do well. Why they are making a sequel to it, I'm not exactly sure. Seems entirely pointless but reading the plot, yeah it makes sense..sorta. Actually, it still makes no sense.

Funny thing is, I actually saw that today. I thought it was pretty good for what it was.

It's the best entry in the series since "The Final Chapter", and yeah, it's one of the few recent remakes that does justice to series, especially when you consider that it feels less like a remake than it does an entertaining entry in the franchise.

Funny thing is, I actually saw that today. I thought it was pretty good for what it was.

It's the best entry in the series since "The Final Chapter", and yeah, it's one of the few recent remakes that does justice to series, especially when you consider that it feels less like a remake than it does an entertaining entry in the franchise.

Exactly. It's a shame it has taken such a drop in just two weeks, but it holds the record of the best horror weekend opening of all time. So that's a plus.

I'm actually going to go see Friday the 13th again on Tuesday (bargain day at the local theater, $5 all day, yay!) before it leaves the theaters, figure it's worth a second viewing before it leaves.

I also went and saw The International today (which I think has already fallen off the radar of the BO) and was pretty impressed by it. Went and saw Coraline a few days ago as well, strictly because of the 3D interest, and was blown away by that part of the film. Probably the best 3D I've seen in a movie yet to date, and I have pretty much seen anything 3D that has come out in the last 2-3 years.

That is some seriously ridiculous shit!

So the projections for that 3D concert were 3 TIMES what they did? Ouch, well that experiment sure failed and hopefully we see less and less of those things, especially since aren't tickets like $15-20 per person for that shit? And they wonder why it didn't meet expectations?

I did see a U2 concert in 3D last year though, and it was really good. Best part was it was just the same price as a regular movie. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have bothered going.

Plus U2 is actually...like, you know...a good band.

U2 3-D was good, but the setlist was a big letdown.

Agreed, it was a very odd setlist, and the show itself seemed really cut, I think it was only 70 minutes or something.

They culled the show from a few different shows they did in South America and Australia and just used the best footage. The movie basically got fucked by the Miley movie.

Not getting to hear City of Blinding Lights sucked

I guess I'm the only one who thought Friday was really bad, but then again, I don't like slashers

I didn't like it either, and I'm a pretty big fan of the F13 franchise. I hated the MTV-style camera work, the lack of gore, the unimaginative kills, and the lack of a truly satisfying end for the most annoying character (that blond dickhead).

IMO, it was better than Jason Goes To Hell and maybe Jason X, but worse than most of the others in the series, including part 8.

So, bob(or anyone else who might know,) is week 16 some kind of record for a movie to be making it's first appearance in the top 3?

Slumdog had the second best weekend of all time for a movie in its tenth week of wide release.

Having seen the new Friday the 13th it was mostly a typical entry though it was nice to actually have a competent male protagonist in a slasher flick. As in not Steven Seagal or anything but a dude who can hold his own in a fight. The biggest baffling moments to me involved Jason suddenly having all sorts of cunning and skills:

Jason puts one chick in a sleeping bag and ties her up over a burning fire, then sets a bear trap up for her boyfriend once he runs over to save her. He also now has archery skills that I don't recall seeing before, being able to hit a guy with an arrow to the head while the guy is in a moving boat. Way too much skill and cunning for a psychopath that is basically a retard.

Having seen the new Friday the 13th it was mostly a typical entry though it was nice to actually have a competent male protagonist in a slasher flick. As in not Steven Seagal or anything but a dude who can hold his own in a fight. The biggest baffling moments to me involved Jason suddenly having all sorts of cunning and skills:

Jason puts one chick in a sleeping bag and ties her up over a burning fire, then sets a bear trap up for her boyfriend once he runs over to save her. He also now has archery skills that I don't recall seeing before, being able to hit a guy with an arrow to the head while the guy is in a moving boat. Way too much skill and cunning for a psychopath that is basically a retard.

In Friday the 13th Part 3, the first kill Jason has once he has his hockey mask is by killing someone with a bow and arrow (arrow through the eye if I remember correctly), so the archery skills aren't something new to the character.

So, bob(or anyone else who might know,) is week 16 some kind of record for a movie to be making it's first appearance in the top 3?

Slumdog had the second best weekend of all time for a movie in its tenth week of wide release.

So what had the best weekend...Titanic?

I also don't know where people are getting this "Jason shouldn't be cunning or have skills" thing. Dude has always been a master at that kind of thing. Now, his house was a little elaborate.. but I can forgive that given this is a new generation and all that.

So what had the best weekend...Titanic?

Titanic pulled down a crazy $21 million in it's tenth weekend.

I would imagine Jason learned quite a few skills growing up out there in the woods what with having to trap and eat bears, deer, squirrels and all that shit with his bare hands or whatever blunt/stabbing object he had at the ready....so being a brilliant hunter shouldn't be much of a surprise. If he can outwit a bear, he can certainly outwit retarded teenagers. Now...if he starts picking people off with a sniper rifle, we may then have a serious problem.

In Friday the 13th Part 3, the first kill Jason has once he has his hockey mask is by killing someone with a

bow and arrow (arrow through the eye if I remember correctly), so the archery skills aren't something new to the character.

I know you probably don't care either way, but it was a harpoon. He used something similar in Part 8, albeit with far less accuracy, opting to just stab the poor guy with the gun itself after he missed with the harpoon.

:P