TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star Ocean 3

NHL Discussion

CBC should seriously consider taking Don Cherry off the fucking air. His tirade on Ovechkin last night was pure hilarity and showed yet again why is one of the biggest morons on TV right now and quite possibly of all time. Cherry wants to knock Ovechkin for being "a soccer player" yet he backs Crosby who is known around the league as being the biggest diver and cry baby in the game. How this dumbass managed to be on "The Greatest Canadian" list (Ahead of Gretzky for fuck sakes) boggles my mind.

Here is the link to those that didn't see it.

The Kings played a shitty first period and never recovered, once again losing a close one to a team they needed to beat in order to make up those scant few points needed to move into a playoff spot. Fuck me sideways.

Guest Czech please!

Game was about what I expected: Hawks had to work really hard just to barely edge a team they couldn't beat before. That Quick guy was very good. Lot of saves.

Never say never with this league, but I don't think the Kings are getting a playoff berth, Matt. They're better than I thought they'd be, yeah, but how are they going to leapfrog five teams unless they just go on some insane tear while everyone else falls apart? I counted seven games left out of twenty that are against teams they need to pass. I don't know offhand if that's enough, but I'm having a hard time believing that they'll pass all five. I think they can, as constructed, move ahead of St. Louis, but that's probably about it. Might as well sell this year.

Oh and as for that second Kings goal, I'm nearly certain that the same situation--goal knocked off its moorings by a scorer hit by the goaltender's teammate--has been ruled No Goal once or twice this year, and other times in previous years. This "war room" is starting to irritate me.

We don't have anything to sell. Were I GM, I would trade Patrick O'Sullivan and our first round pick for someone (someone better) signed to a contract which still has three or four years left. If that's not out there, there isn't anything to be done. No rentals.

This game against Columbus on Tuesday will determine whether or not it can still happen.

They're only 6 points out with 20 games left. Their main problem has been their struggles at home recently. I think the chances of them missing the playoffs are greater than their chances of making it, but there's still reason for hope.

And here's a pleasant diversion for all you hockey fans -

http://abravermancan.com/audio/cheechooteemu.swf

"See Me Feel Me" is one of my favorites.

I've always preferred "Without Cheechoo". Quite an emotional number. Unfortunately they're missing the Anze Kopitar song:

At one point the Kings agreed to play a video for it at one of their games, but then thought there would be legal issues.

Ah, yes, I remember that one. That was one of my favorites. Nothing better than hockey player songs on the radio. I see that you're from Pittsburgh, so you would know of the great Dave Dameshek.

They're only 6 points out with 20 games left. Their main problem has been their struggles at home recently. I think the chances of them missing the playoffs are greater than their chances of making it, but there's still reason for hope.

Yeah, there is. Most of their games are against those teams they need to pass. Anaheim will be selling off. Dallas lost Richards for a while. If they don't inch up to 3 or 4 back by the end of the week, that'll be it, because those games are against teams that, if they win, will pull away more and more.

That goes along with my "trade for someone with years on their contract" thing. Don't know what that would take though, probably not too much all things considered. What with him being overpaid.

He fits many holes on this team. Leadership, scoring, locked up, wing for Kopitar.

I attended an extremely entertaining Flames-Lightning game tonight and though I hate the Flames I couldn't help but join the standing ovation given to Jarome Iginla for becoming the franchise's all-time points leader. A class act across the board.

CBC should seriously consider taking Don Cherry off the fucking air. His tirade on Ovechkin last night was pure hilarity and showed yet again why is one of the biggest morons on TV right now and quite possibly of all time. Cherry wants to knock Ovechkin for being "a soccer player" yet he backs Crosby who is known around the league as being the biggest diver and cry baby in the game. How this dumbass managed to be on "The Greatest Canadian" list (Ahead of Gretzky for fuck sakes) boggles my mind.

Here is the link to those that didn't see it.

Oh no, someone is having fun and enjoying the game. Everything he showed seems like fairly typical goal celebrations. I usually try to stick up for Cherry b/c he saved the Rochester Americans from folding way back in the day and that I agree with his no touch icing stance, but his petty Xenophobia can't be defended.

In a few minutes we'll have a moment of truth for Sean Avery. He's on re-entry waivers, and someone's sure to pick him up. But will he make it to New York?

Pfft, he did. Back to New York. At the same time, the Rangers waived Aaron Voros. Kings might want to look at picking him up.

It has begun. Gary Roberts, Miroslav Satan, you have also been cast down to the waiver wire.

Add Brendan Morrison, Jon Sim, and Brendan Bell to that pile of waiver wire fodder. Tomorrow a lot of these guys will be getting picked up.

Calgary claimed Lawrence Nycholat off waivers.

Nik Backstrom of Wild fame signed a 4 year, 24 million dollar extension. 6 million cap hit.

Now Gerber goes back on re-entry, and Craig Adams is put on waivers. Tom Preissing cleared, no idea what we'll do with a sorry defenseman making that kind of buck.

Guest Czech please!

Re-entry waivers is such a dumb concept, only the NHL could have pioneered it.

Bye, Craig Adams! You once caused two goals on a double-minor. Who does that?

Now it's over. Whether it be now or in the offseason, it's time to offload these defensive prospects (the ones that aren't in the NHL) for some scoring talent. When it comes down to it, we don't have scoring power. For this team to score four goals, it'll take three flukes. We need to add grit on the third line and a presence in front of the net. The only leadership I've seen has come from Matt Greene, and sometimes Kopitar's play in the defensive zone. Kopitar's set a good example with that. I don't really care how they add these players.

To not offload these prospects for real players would be a complete and utter failure.

Guest Czech please!

To revisit my last post, once you've safely optioned your players down, why should they clear waivers to come back up? The point of clearing waivers is to make sure a player has every opportunity to play for an NHL team before he has to play for the AHL affiliate. When you want to call them back up, why do other teams have a right to your player that they already declined, not to mention the waiving team is still on the hook for 50% of the salary? It's the dumbest thing. You want to claim a player, you should take on the contract in full.

Ottawa sends Antoine Vermette to Columbus for G Pascal Leclaire and a second-round pick. Very nice deal, it's pretty obvious we need another answer in net right now with Elliott not being ready and Auld continuing to be a career backup.

Sens also signed Filip Kuba for 3 years, $3.7 million. No word yet on Chris Neil, although the rumour is that there's a tentative deal in place to send him to San Jose.

TSN said if the Nucks offered Raymond, Bieska and a 1st rounder for Bowmeister, the Panthers would probably accept.

Make it happen.

EDIT: Yea, if we get Bouwmeester, I should learn to spell his name

Kings re-sign Sean O'Donnell. Very nice. Canucks re-signed Alex Burrows yesterday, and lastly, the Sabres re-signed Tim Connolly to a deal of 2 years at 4.5 per.

As for the Vermette trade, eh, Leclaire is oft-injured, but the trade is certainly worth the risk.

I got NHL mobile alerts, only for my friend to constantly text me this morning. I wanted to kill him.

The Burrows deal is excellent, he's really come into his own this year. He's the guy who ended the losing streak against Carolina and he's been on fire.

I got the Sundin jersey yesterday. If it's a fake knockoff, then whomever made it should be hired by the NHL, since it looks exactly like the real thing

Colorado is sending Jordan Leopold to the Flames for the aforemention Nycholat, a 2nd rounder, and an unnamed prospect.

Okay, I'm going to keep editing my posts until someone else posts.

Gerber got claimed off re-entry by Toronto. Ottawa are on the hook for half. Doesn't really matter.

Uh, the Sabres traded for Tellqvist. Took a 4th.

Brendan Morrison's going to Dallas

Craig Adams to Pittsburgh

Those two are waiver claims. So, Roberts clears, Satan clears, and Mark Bell clears. If this is how it ends for Roberts, that's sad.\

Erik Ersberg signs a two year extension with the Kings...

10am on trade dealine day and no posts from CG yet? What the hell?

Got called into work at CIM last night, in addition to a shift at Blockbuster during the afternoon, which ties nicely into my post:

Did a post-17 call to a guy named Martin Gerber (I don't remember which movie he hasn't returned). My 'return it or you'll hear from collections' scare caused him to leave town - The Leafs have claimed in.