TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star Ocean 3

NHL Discussion

I'm watching another one of those wonderful Buffalo playing in Canada games where the penalties are something like 10-2 or something just as absurd. I don't know why I bother watching these games since the jokes I make about the officiating in them is never actually as funny when it's actually happening. I have, for some strange reason, enjoyed all the tripping calls ignored on Ottawa though. In combination with the whistle blowing the other way every 2 minutes...it's laughably bad.

Great win tonight in Philly. The Wings dominated, and managed to fight back like they should while down 2-0. Team defense looked a lot better; sticks in the passing lanes, physical play and good backchecking.

Easily my favorite play, though, was Ericsson's delay before passing it to Zetterberg. Excellent vision and patience for a young defenseman. Great to see that he's playing like he really wants a playoff roster spot.

Choking is our greatest talent, ever since 1997 like Terry Murray said!

That said, no way we should've allowed that comeback. Disgusting, especially with the way Biron played. I wouldn't say the Wings dominated the whole game, but certainly the third period. Just sick and tired of this team being so fucking scared to win in Detroit. They're not some unstoppable force, but we just sit on our fucking hands and let them score at will every single fucking game. It's really fucking annoying having to sit through that fucking shit season after season when you know you owe them not one, not two, but 20 fucking years worth of embarrassment. This is exactly like the game a few years ago when Brett Hull scored and I think the Wings won 3-2 or 4-2 when we were leading 2-1. Fucking shit.

To be fair, the Wings were really dominating the better part of this game. They may have been down, but for the amount of shots they were getting on goal, they were going to win that game. Give credit to the Flyers for perhaps not coming out with the best effort, but making it a damn close game, right up until the end. I'll still pick them to go to the Eastern Conference Finals over most teams.

I'm not a Crosby fan but I read this on another forum and I actually gained some respect for the guy:

Savard and Crosby get into each others faces a few times early in the game and at some point, Savard suggests he'd fight Crosby, but won't because Crosby wears a visor and basically ridicules him for it. End of shift, Crosby goes to bench, has visor removed and comes back out and challenges Savard......nothing happens

The picture below which is from Sunday's game seems to corroborate the story:

12372165371.jpg

Just made it back from Glendale to see the Coyotes pull one out of their ass against the Sharks. After that one can only hope the Coyotes go under and move to a city that actually gives a fuck about their team.

No real good place to put this, but the 2010 Olympic Hockey tickets were finally dished out today. I get to see...Czech Republic vs Slovakia. When formerly unified nations explode! The games were randomly scheduled, so some people got pretty screwed. I'd hate to pay a ton just to watch Latvia play Germany.

Anyone else get their tickets yet?

Brodeur coasted on the winds of the neutral zone trap at its absolute zenith/nadir. When you face 12 shots on goal a night, anything's possible!

Oh and the Pahlsson trade is going to be Dale Tallon's undoing. He'll be back in the broadcast booth by next year with Scotty Bowman taking over, most likely. The Hawks have been the worst team in the league since the deadline, since they traded a solid defenseman for, in effect, an unripe AHLer. Now I'll just be happy if they make the playoffs and win a game.

sammy pauhlson is not an unripe ahler

i didnt like the trade either, but i understand it. who knows how healthy pauhlson is gonna be, though.

No real good place to put this, but the 2010 Olympic Hockey tickets were finally dished out today. I get to see...Czech Republic vs Slovakia. When formerly unified nations explode! The games were randomly scheduled, so some people got pretty screwed. I'd hate to pay a ton just to watch Latvia play Germany.

Anyone else get their tickets yet?

One of my friends just got Canada/USA. Which means soon I will have tickets to Canada/USA and he will be murdered.

Brodeur coasted on the winds of the neutral zone trap at its absolute zenith/nadir. When you face 12 shots on goal a night, anything's possible!

Oh and the Pahlsson trade is going to be Dale Tallon's undoing. He'll be back in the broadcast booth by next year with Scotty Bowman taking over, most likely. The Hawks have been the worst team in the league since the deadline, since they traded a solid defenseman for, in effect, an unripe AHLer. Now I'll just be happy if they make the playoffs and win a game.

sammy pauhlson is not an unripe ahler

No, I was referring to Niklas Hjalmarsson, who took over for Wisniewski at defense without immediately adding Pahlsson to the lineup on account of his mono. They've been extremely porous since the trade, giving up 5 to the shitty Avs and Islanders.

Claude Julien Dave Lewis should be fired. This is fucking humiliating. They had the Kings on the ropes, down 2 heading into the third and they lose 3-2. I've seen it before. It's the same shit Dave Lewis was preaching.

"Hey guys, we have a lead, let's stop forechecking, stop attacking and just go into a defensive shell."

"Like a turtle?"

"EXACTLY!"

But hey, at least they get to play the fucking red hot Devils on sunday. Nothing like playing against Brodeur when he's doing well.

wheels+coming+off.jpg

At this rate they'll be lucky to be like the Canadiens last year. Get the top seed, struggle against the #8 and get their asses handed to them in the second round. Great.

The Kings are sort of in bizarro world at the moment. They've found ways to beat or play well against top teams on the road, but yet they always shit the bed against teams like Nashville at home.

Next season there had better be playoffs, or there will be firings.

Nashville's 7th in the west.

Eighth now.

How awesome is that? Not so much the Oilers getting a little comfort, but the fact that we could have this very conversation in three weeks, and we did have it three weeks ago?

At this rate they'll be lucky to be like the Canadiens last year. Get the top seed, struggle against the #8 and get their asses handed to them in the second round. Great.

Groan, I'm defending the Broons again - I do see similarities between the two squads, specifically in one aspect - Talented kids seeing the bright lights of the big city. That said, the Broons have two things the Habs (either '07 or '08) lack, those being leadership and character.

I wholeheartedly believe the Habs of last year, and this year for that matter, are as altogether talented as any team in the East, but they lack(ed) the size and character required to get through a long playoff run. The Bruins have both of those. Furthermore, cementing Recchi to Boston as the best deal this year that didn't involve an Olli, Mark should be enough of a leader to keep the kids in line. Kovalev is a primadona, Koivu's a veteran but not really a leader. Boston is, for my money, still the best team in the East, even as they gear down during the home stretch.

But I really, really hope not.

Compared to the Scabs, the Bruins are the fucking Soviets. But all that gritty, sandpaper hearty grit gets nowhere when you can't score goals. Krejci has been doing a great Kovalev impression the last month or so. The scoring from the defensemen not named Chara has disappeared. They come out firing and just seem to lose interest as the game goes on. Lucic has been hurt for the last 3 months and can no longer assert himself in the games like he used to. It's a different team.

I'm just too tired to break the team down. I'm going to bed.

The Bruins have been overachieving all season. No way this is the best team in the East. They're only in first because of the incredible start they had.

They've been consistent and have rarely allowed more than 3 goals in a game (mostly because Thomas and Fernandez are IMO, playing over their heads a bit).

They're still right up there with New Jersey in terms of goals scored vs. goals allowed. Boston is 239/170 and NJ is 222/173.

Past 15 Games: 47 goals (5 games with 5+ goals) vs. 40 goals (7 games with 2 or fewer goals allowed)

The difference is that the Devils are getting hot, the Bruins have been ice cold since February.

They definitely took advantage of their cupcake schedule earlier this year. Now that they're playing good/hungry teams, they can't win games. It's concerning.

I always look forward to Leafs/Habs with my grandfather, but with the urgency of this win tonight, I'm especially looking forward to some good, old-time hockey.

Fuck this team if they lose tonight, though.

Even though I'm a Canucks fan, I can still laugh at this:

The best part is that the original penalty was on Tikhonov, who also ended up getting credit for the goal. Nicely done Viktor.

I was watching the game on FF after they went down 3-0, and oh man, that's hilarious.

This team. Before the couldn't win at home, now they can't win on the road