TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

College Basketball: March '09

What is your opinion on conference tournaments?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. College Basketball Poll

• Love them, make the last two weeks of the regular season more exciting.
    • Indifferent
    • Hate them, make the conference regular season irrelevent.

Guest Czech please!

Cowboy Numbers, why are you a Duke fan? Are you an alumnus? Child of? Thing for "good kids" who usually can't hack it in the pros? Admiration for coaches that resemble reptiles? Latching on a team that was popular and successful?

Guest Czech please!

I've done no such thing. I don't even know enough about the entirety of what you do that I "hate on" to explain myself. This isn't personal. If you'd been paying attention to my rare drop-ins on college sports, you'd know that I'm curious and skeptical about a lot of aspects of the beast: how people can claim it's equal or superior to professional sports, how people can praise the notion of the noble student athlete when the whole thing is often even filthier and more corrupt than its professional counterparts, and how people can deny that they serve as minor-league teams for professional development while concurrently adopting educational institutions to which they don't belong as their own. I (and others) have given people shit for silliness like "I live in the state of Michigan, thus the University of Michigan's football team represents me as a Michigander," or "I am a Catholic, thus Notre Dame represents me as a Catholic," or any instance of anyone anywhere else adopting the basketball team from an elite private university outside the capital of North Carolina. There's even something almost kind of tragic about Duke University amassing millions in basketball-related revenue from people who haven't a prayer of being accepted to the school, isn't there?

Brack Matrix Update

Last Eight In

Creighton

San Diego State

South Carolina

Penn State

Minnesota

Michigan

Texas A&M

Boston College

First Four Out

Florida

Arizona

St. Mary's

New Mexico

Next Four Out

UNLV

Maryland

Providence

Miami

As you see Maryland and Temple were both barely on the radar but both scored huge wins tonight.

Edit: Now reflects Temple being the favorite in the A-10/14 finals.

Edited by Bored

We've now had two upsets in the A-10/14 semis as Duquesne beats Dayton which means another bubble team at large bid is gone, although Dayton is considered a bubble team by some but I think they are pretty secure.

San Diego State beats #25 BYU 64-62 to advance to the Mountain West finals and that probably gets them off the bubble and into the tournament.

LOL...Bay City's finest right there. Didn't see any of his games but I saw plenty of highlights on TV when I was in high school (his town's about 45 min. north of mine). He was suspended earlier this season for allegedly hitting a female student...great guy that Devendorf.

Well, U of L is now in the finals of the Big East but this Syracuse thing is dubious. It's almost as if they've channeled their 2006 fluke miracle form and are just refusing to lose. Still, they can't have much left in the tank, can they? I was wanting to just beat down Huggins again for old time's sake.

Knowing that USC will lose in the first round anyway, hopefully they beat ASU today and clog up those at-large bids even further.

I think the Big East gets three #1s this year, tbh. I might revisit that if Syracuse beats Louisville tonight, but I think with none of Oklahoma, Kansas, and Michigan State making their tournament final, and with the two Big XII teams losing their first games, theres's no one outside of Memphis that can make a legit claim at a 1, and I doubt the committee views C-USA highly enough to put them over one of those other two teams. No way does Duke get a #1 losing twice to UNC as they did.

You could have a bizarre situation where the #1 team in the country going into the tournament (Memphis?) isn't a #1 seed.

I think the Big East gets three #1s this year, tbh. I might revisit that if Syracuse beats Louisville tonight, but I think with none of Oklahoma, Kansas, and Michigan State making their tournament final, and with the two Big XII teams losing their first games, theres's no one outside of Memphis that can make a legit claim at a 1, and I doubt the committee views C-USA highly enough to put them over one of those other two teams. No way does Duke get a #1 losing twice to UNC as they did.

You could have a bizarre situation where the #1 team in the country going into the tournament (Memphis?) isn't a #1 seed.

If they win the ACC tourney, they should get the #1 seed.

As much as I love Duke they don't deserve a #1. That would have required beating NC last week, or at least during the ACC tourney, which can't happen now. Solid #2 seed though.

Bracket Matrix Update

Last Four In

Maryland

Penn State

San Diego State

Minnesota

First Four Out

Creighton

St. Mary's

Arizona

South Carolina

Edit: Now updated with USC in the tournament.

Edited by Bored

Whether or not the result goes our way, at least SC did something this week that they didn't do all season. Persevere. The performances this week have been completely out of character and for that I'm happy. But they really need to put it together these last few minutes, because to get this close and not pull it out would suck.

And that probably officially ends Arizona's 24 year tournament run as I don't see the Pac-10 getting six teams in a down year.

Baylor loses to Missouri so no bubble team loses a spot there. Only game left tonight with bubble team implications is the WAC finals where Utah State might need to win to get in although with 29 wins I'd be surprised if the committee left them out. Obviously Nevada has to win to get in but it will be a home game for them.

Edit: San Diego State is currently trailing in the Mountain West finals but I think they are already in.