TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

College Basketball: March '09

What is your opinion on conference tournaments?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. College Basketball Poll

• Love them, make the last two weeks of the regular season more exciting.
    • Indifferent
    • Hate them, make the conference regular season irrelevent.

Memphis' last two wins were statement games. This team is ready to go, ever since early in the second half against Tulane, this team has been unbeatable.

And Cowboy Numbers never actually answered Czech's question.

Edit: San Diego State is currently trailing in the Mountain West finals but I think they are already in.

Lunardi has them as the last team out.

I saw that which made absolutely no sense because before the Mountain West finals he had them in. How is losing to a good Utah team by two points a bad thing? It's not like it hurt their strength of schedule. Maybe he projected the Aztecs to beat Utah and get the automatic bid.

Utah State appears to have things under control at Nevada but still a lot of time remaining. Assuming they win that will leave Mississippi State in the SEC finals tomorrow to hold the fate who whoever is the last at large team out there.

U of L baby. Syracuse finally ran out of gas tonight. Really bizarre postgame in some ways, with Flynn being the MVP of the tourney and they still mostly hype the Orange for their run. As of now the #1 seeds should be U of L, UNC, Pitt, and Memphis. I wonder now if U of L will be #1 in the polls for the first time ever, or will the AP and Coaches go with Memphis?

Memphis doesn't deserve a #1, they don't play anybody in Conference USA. You could put anyone in the top half of the Big East in C-USA and they'd run the table for 4 straight years too.

Come to think of it, C-USA is where the Big East got all their good basketball teams (Louisville, Marquette...and Cincinnati, Depaul & USF) after Miami, VT & BC jumped ship to the ACC.

#1s are Louisville, UCONN, UNC & Pitt. Big East's grabbing 3 because there's nobody else to give them to, everybody else got punked out (Michigan State lost and Duke doesn't get a shot at UNC to steal their #1 spot with a what-have-you-done-lately statement win to wipe out the 2 losses)

Memphis gets a solid #2 though. Play-in game should be Alabama State v. North Dakota State.

Memphis doesn't deserve a #1, they don't play anybody in Conference USA. You could put anyone in the top half of the Big East in C-USA and they'd run the table for 4 straight years too.

I highly doubt that, given that Memphis always has two-three scares a season. Tulsa and UAB are quality teams and always tough to play on the road.

North Dakota State is better than 6-8 of the bottom AQ teams. If they want to put them in there since it is there first time, I can see that, but they are better than a lot of teams in.

So what time is the selection special? I always love me some selection Sunday, partly to see where the teams I like get seeded, but also to watch everyone on TV whine and bitch about the teams missing out they thought deserved it.

Bob is slowly turning me around on Memphis. Even considering they lost Rose and Douglas-Roberts, their team arguably still has the most tournament experience out of it's remaining players, with the exception of Carolina and UCLA. They have the potential to take it all the way to the final game again this year.

I'm really optimistic about this team. This was supposed to be an in between year, since they lost Rose, Dorsey and CDR and are getting Henry, Cousins and Dodson for 09-10.

They haven't lost since plugging Evans into the pg slot, and their defence has been sickening this year. They kept Tulane off the scoreboard for 12 minutes! They win ugly sometimes, which doesn't work in the tourney, but they have the leadership, the defence and Tyreke Evans. And they've gotten better at making free throws.

The beatdown they gave Gonzaga cemented them I think.

Is Gonzaga really any good this year though? They are somewhat of a poor man's version of Memphis, tearing up a crappy league and running the table in it. Though St. Mary's is better than anyone in C-USA not named Memphis and is at least on the bubble.

I'm in terror of U of L being matched up with Temple in an 8/9 game. No matter what we never, ever in a million years can beat Temple. Let's get an 8/9 game against an SEC or Big 12 team, someone that doesn't play a weird style. No Big 10 plodders, please.

The end of the ESS EEE SEE finals has just been bizarre.

And Mississippi State just eliminated another bubble team, I'm guessing Creighton.

So I was wondering why St. Mary's played EWU on Thursday in the midst of every other game being a conference tourny. Apparently the St. Mary's coach scheduled it last week to show case that player that got injured and tanked their season. So if St. Mary's somehow gets an at-large they can thank EWU for sucking and agreeing at the last minute to let them kick their ass all in the name of getting St. Mary's into the tourny.

And wow I just saw the ending to the SEC final, that was pretty whacky. Of course I thought the clock said .8 and not 9.8 or whatever it was, because ESPN sucks and the game block and score bar were half covered by the allmighty ESPN sports ticker. Thanks worldwide leader.

And now I'm hearing that that game probably cost St. Mary's their bubble. Eat it!

God, STANFORD~ can't even get an invite to the NIT! Oh well there's still the CBI and CollegeInsider.com tournaments left to be announced. I know you will all stay up all night to find out who gets in.

NIT

Aztec Region

#8 Weber State at #1 San Diego State

#5 Illinois State at #4 Kansas State (Tuesday, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2)

#6 Davidson at #3 South Carolina

#7 Washington State at #2 St. Mary's (Tuesday, 11:00/8:00 PM, ESPN2)

Tiger Region

#8 Tennessee-Martin at #1 Auburn

#5 Northwestern at #4 Tulsa

#6 Georgetown at #3 Baylor (Wednesday, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2)

#7 Duquesne at #2 Virginia Tech

Bluejay Region

#8 Bowling Green at #1 Creighton

#5 UNLV at #4 Kentucky (Tuesday, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN)

#6 Nebraska at #3 New Mexico

#7 UAB at #2 Notre Dame (Tuesday, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2)

Gator Region

#8 Jacksonville at #1 Florida

#4 Miami at #5 Providence (Wednesday, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2)

#6 Rhode Island at #3 Niagara

#7 George Mason at #2 Penn State

LOLZ at Kentucky only managing a 4 seed. And that's probably only because the tournament committee wanted a decent gate at Rupp.

The game isn't even being played at Rupp Arena.

Play-in game should be Alabama State v. North Dakota State.

Are you serious? A 26-6 team should be involved with the play-in game?

CollegeInsider.com Tournament pairings are out! I guess this tournament's point is to only invite mid-major schools which actually makes it kind of cool. The CBI on the other hand is frantically trying to get major conference schools to accept invites and has no problem inviting those with losing records. Alabama, Cincinnati, and Vanderbilt have all turned down invites to the CBI so far.

All that is posted on the CIT website is the schedule as I don't know if there's any actual bracket.

CIT

Tuesday

Rider (19-12) @ Liberty (22-11)

Kent State (19-14) @ Oakland (22-12)

Wednesday

The Citadel (20-12) @ Old Dominion (21-10)

Mount St. Mary’s (19-13) @ James Madison (19-14)

Austin Peay (19-13) @ Bradley (18-14)

Belmont (19-12) @ Evansville (17-13)

Portland (19-12) @ Pacific (19-12)

Drake (17-15) @ Idaho (16-15)

Awesome field, I sure can't wait to see who gets crowned the 114th best team in the country or whatever it ends up being after the other three tournaments.

STANFORD~ is in the CBI! Actually I'm embarrassed they accepted an invite as they are the only major conference school with a winning record who accepted. Besides I can't even see them play since the tournament is carried by HDNet.

CBI

Tuesday

Northeastern @ Wyoming - Tues @ 9 pm ET

UTEP @ Nevada - Tues @ 11 pm ET

Wednesday

St. John's @ Richmond - 7 pm ET

Buffalo @ Wichita State - 8 pm ET

Vermont @ Green Bay - 8 pm ET

Charleston @ Troy - 8 pm ET

Houston @ Oregon State - 10 pm ET

Boise State @ Stanford - 10 pm ET

Good to see UTEP and Houston getting postseason experience.

St. John's accepted!

Do teams have to pay their own way in the CBI and the other bootleg tournament?

Shockingly I found an article on what the NIT, CBI, and CIT require.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/ma...con73718/?print

As to whether the Cougars could host a game for one of the three other events, that depends on the financial package the Cougars submit. Hull said the NIT is looking for sites that can generate more than $100,000 in gross revenues, and with the Cougars home to only a 5,000-seat arena, hosting probably would go to larger schools.

More doable are the College Basketball Invitational, which looks for a gross of $60,000, and the CollegeInsider.com tournament, which commands a gross of $28,500. If a school doesn't meet that minimum, it must write a check to the tournament for the difference. All of those events pay travel expenses for visiting teams.

Not that anyone is necessarily needing another college basketball fix after the weekend but right now on ESPN2 is Davidson/St. Mary's in a 2nd Round NIT game with a great star match-up of Stephen Curry and Patrick Mills.

And hey STANFORD~ has advanced to the Final Four of the CBI! I can hardly contain my excitement.

CBI

First Round

Northeastern 64, Wyoming 62

UTEP 79, Nevada 77

Richmond 75, St. John's 69

Vermont 76, Green Bay 72

Charleston 93, Troy 91

Wichita State 84, Buffalo 73

Oregon State 49, Houston 45

Stanford 96, Boise State 76

Quarterfinals

Richmond 74, Charleston 72

Stanford 70, Wichita State 56

UTEP 75, Northeastern 66

Oregon State 71, Vermont 70

Here's what the CBI has brought us:

CIT

First Round

Liberty 79, Rider 64

Oakland 80, Kent State 74

James Madison 69, Mount St. Mary’s 58

Bradley 81, Austin Peay 74

Belmont 92, Evansville 76

Pacific 82, Portland 76

Idaho 69, Drake 67

Old Dominion 67, The Citadel 59

Quarterfinals

James Madison 88, Liberty 65

Bradley 76, Oakland 75

Old Dominion 70, Belmont 62

Pacific 69, Idaho 59

ESPN just showed a highlight of Bradley beating Oakland with a 70 footer at the buzzer.