TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Raw - March 2, 2009

Man, does anybody in the WWE know how to do/sell submission wrestling at all?

Submission wrestling is too closely associated with Chris Benoit, so the E wants very little of it, and when it does come up, they want it done incorrectly.

I'd rather have Hogan/Cena and Edge/Big Show in singles matches at mania instead of Cena/Edge/Show

but then 4 weeks of hype for Cena/Hogan just doesn't seem like enough

Is this Hogan/Cena thing a serious rumor or just BS? I don't see the point in it really, since Hogan is way older than he was when he faced The Rock at WM so his rub would be lessened. Just put Cena in there with Edge/Show, since there's no way that match has any main event heat. Even with Cena it doesn't have much heat, but more than it would without him in it.

No idea what to think of HHH's rant on Orton tonight. HHH almost cloudied the issue by bringing up all that past history and what a douche he was back then. In order for this match to draw at all we shouldn't be reminded of what a tool Orton was when he was tossed from Evolution, since it only reinforces the notion that this is a stale match.

From the 411 Raw recap:

"Orton tells him he can't touch him before Wrestlemania unless he's physically provoked."

Did he actually say that? Sounded like a great segment from what I read, but why have Orton give HHH an out to touch him? I know they're kind of in a bind with the authority figures having been taken out, but still...

I also noticed that HBK mentioned his back injury from 98...not that the match needs that much more of a build up, but does anyone think they'll try to bring in the fact that it was Taker who actually gave Shawn that injury?

Well, another Raw with what has been expected from this show the last few weeks. A solid Jericho legends segment, solid effort by both Orton and HHH in their roles also. The rest was pretty missable, though. Figured Rey was going into MITB, but guess not. What role is for him then at Mania? I'd much rather see Rey/Edge for the title, which brings me to...

That whole ending of Raw. Just horrible shit. Does it make me want to see Cena/Edge again? Eh, not really, that match did nothing for me really. Does it make me want to see Big Show/Edge? Fucking hell no. Yet I seriously think that is what is going to happen......Vicki thinks Show will phone it in and try to pay him off to lay down for Edge or something, and Show turns again (another lame idea) and the match is set. I think, and dare I say I hope, this whole scenario means that Cena is out of the title picture here for the time being, as doing a triple threat here of Cena/Show/Edge is just such a bad idea, it wouldn't even be, nor should be, suggested as a main event for a normal ppv, much less a world title match at Mania.

Ultimately, this HAS to mean Cena is going to be working against either Hogan or Austin at this point, otherwise this whole Edge/Cena debacle with Big Show added to the mix wouldn't have went down tonight. Right?

And I'd love it if they did Show/Rey/Edge instead of what appears to be Show/Edge at Mania, since I still can't get over that performance Rey showed at No Way Out in the Elimination Chamber. He deserves this spot. Plus, Rey and Show at least have some backstory they could play upon as well, with Show laying him out upon returning at last year's No Way Out.

I spent most of the HHH/Orton segment trying to figure out if the bald security officer was Konnan. I even thought I heard some people in the crowd yelling Konnan! It was good stuff though.

I was disappointed the Jericho segment opened the show because I look forward to those the most, but it was good. I was amused that Lillian was in on the bit though.

Speaking of Lillian, I noticed she stated the winner of the triple threat was guaranteed entry into the MITB match, so that sounds like good news for Rey and Morrison.

I laughed at the Mania 12 recap using a "VINTAGE SHAWN MICHAELS!" soundbyte from Lawler. They had to have done that on purpose. I wish I could have these production people give me a video eulogy when I die as they've been doing a great job of making some very mundane things (WrestleMania 2) sound amazing.

I'm glad I'm working days the next two Monday's - the fact I'm literally begging for a match to end by DQ (as soon as I saw Edge get the belt) so I can get the hell out of the house and on my way to work takes a bit away from the show.

I spent most of the HHH/Orton segment trying to figure out if the bald security officer was Konnan. I even thought I heard some people in the crowd yelling Konnan! It was good stuff though.

Heh same here!

According to Prowrestling.net, Raw did a 3.8 in the ratings this week, which is down from the 4.1 the show did the previous 2 weeks.

That whole ending of Raw. Just horrible shit. Does it make me want to see Cena/Edge again? Eh, not really, that match did nothing for me really. Does it make me want to see Big Show/Edge? Fucking hell no. Yet I seriously think that is what is going to happen......Vicki thinks Show will phone it in and try to pay him off to lay down for Edge or something, and Show turns again (another lame idea) and the match is set. I think, and dare I say I hope, this whole scenario means that Cena is out of the title picture here for the time being, as doing a triple threat here of Cena/Show/Edge is just such a bad idea, it wouldn't even be, nor should be, suggested as a main event for a normal ppv, much less a world title match at Mania.

Ultimately, this HAS to mean Cena is going to be working against either Hogan or Austin at this point, otherwise this whole Edge/Cena debacle with Big Show added to the mix wouldn't have went down tonight. Right?

So the heel uses the belt to get a cheap DQ on the show's top face and you think that's the blowoff? There's plenty of time for cena/show/edge to resolve itself to edge/cena again. The story (AGAIN) is the Cena chase to get another shot.

Not thrilled with it, but seems like that's the jist for the next month.

So the heel uses the belt to get a cheap DQ on the show's top face and you think that's the blowoff? There's plenty of time for cena/show/edge to resolve itself to edge/cena again. The story (AGAIN) is the Cena chase to get another shot.

Not thrilled with it, but seems like that's the jist for the next month.

I actually HOPE that's the blowoff, because having Cena/Edge again at Mania is ridiculous now, and Cena/Show/Edge is actually even a worse idea to me than the former. Cena would be better off against Hogan or Austin at this point in a marquee match (as would Edge to be honest), akin to Rock/Hogan like. If they were going to add a third wheel to Cena/Edge, it should have been a big name.....and again, I gotta go back to Hogan or Austin. Otherwise, a triple threat match like this, especially at Mania, is just absolutely retarded booking. WTF has Big Show done to warrant a main event slot in the last year? He got a great spot last Mania, and it was warranted, but not this time around.

I can't imagine how anyone can really give two shits about Cena chasing the title again already, after just one month of losing it anyway. This shows the company is really out of touch on where Cena should be right now in the big scheme of things. He's much better off for Mania in a dream type match scenario without titles on the line.

Submission wrestling is too closely associated with Chris Benoit, so the E wants very little of it, and when it does come up, they want it done incorrectly.

Dude, Shawn Michaels and HHH use The Crippler Crossface all the time in big matches.

Dude, Shawn Michaels and HHH use The Crippler Crossface all the time in big matches.

He was obviously kidding.