TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Agent of Oblivion question of the day

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Can you whistle? Do you know anyone who cannot? What's the deal with them?

i can whistle, but badly. and i could never figure out how people do that two-fingers-in-the-mouth whistle.

I can whistle, sometimes I can barely whistle and sometimes I can whistle the tune to a whole song. One time in high school gym I remember letting out a whistle so loud... I was fucking proud. Never emulated that pitch of a whistle again. I remember I time when I couldn't whistle. I first learnt to whistle by sucking the air in, and then later by blowing it out.

I can't really snap my fingers that well.

I can whistle very well. It runs in my family. My girlfriend can't whistle, and my mom is the only member of our family who does the really really loud whistle call.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah I can whistle like many others- pursed lips, but no finger. The two finger whistle is interesting, I always wanted to learn how to do that. Thankfully I was blessed/cursed with an extremely loud voice, so I have no problem substituting "HEY!" over a long distance.

I can whistle but not the wolf-whistle with the two fingers dealy. I don't, though. People who whistle are on the pet peeves list in a big way.

Co-sign and agree with all of this.

I can't whistle. Other than limiting my karaoke options by a handful of songs, I can't say that it's had much of an impact on my life.

Guest Czech please!

I am incapable of whistling in any way. I can't do the regular kind OR the Mexican kind. We called it the Mexican kind because in middle school, only Mexicans would do the two-fingered shrill whistle. One time in jazz ensemble, a song called on us to whistle the melody before playing it. I couldn't whistle, so I sat out. I was asked "why aren't you whistling?" and then some cunt in the trombone section said I was trying to subvert the band again and make us fight, which I wasn't on that particular occasion but was in plenty of others, though she didn't use the word "subvert" because she wasn't that smart and so it wasn't in her vocabulary. I said "I can't whistle at all" and demonstrated my inability to do so. I volunteered to learn it on flute, but it turns out I'm no damn good at playing flute either. I don't know anybody else who is as incompetent a whistler as I, so I'm led to believe that this is something the WHOLE WORLD can do except me. Reading that some of you are similarly afflicted, or know people who are, has been very comforting to me. I've just chalked it up in the column of things that I can't do but barring the existence of a cruel and vengeful God will never find myself needing to do anyway, like driving a stick shift, shooting a basketball from anywhere but the free throw line, or doing a cartwheel.

You know what I can do? Touch my nose with my tongue. So there.

I can, but not very well. I don't know if I know somebody who can't.

This is an odd one with me. I was born utterly unable to whistle at all. Until one day, I was 17 or 18, when outta nowhere I suddenly woke up and was able to whistle. No clue how this happened or what changed, but it was literally an overnight thing. Totally blew my mind. At school that day, I was grabbing all of my friends and being all "Listen to this, it's a miracle!" and getting some really odd looks. So cheer up all you non-whistlers, the same could happen to you. (It probably won't. But it could.)

As for style of whistling, it's weird. I'm also unable to do the fingers-in-mouth insanely loud whistle which makes the ears ache, I don't even understand how that's supposedly to physically work. Come to think of it, I can't whistle very loudly at all, it's basically just normal talking volume. And it has a kind of breathy quality which makes it sound less musical. However, I did get a couple of freebies: not only do I have surprisingly good control over the pitch of the notes, I can also whistle while either exhaling or inhaling. Apparently most people can't do it while breathing in, so yeah, totally an unique and special snowflake right here.

I can whistle inhaling and exhaling, but no fingers-in-the-mouth, tongue-against-teeth, whatever other ways there are I can't do them.

One of us has to be able to do the fingers-in-the-mouth whistle, they just don't want the responsibility of explaining how the fuck it works to the rest of us.

I can't do the "O" lips whistle but can do the through the teeth whistle.

Most of the people I know can whistle, but I don't know anyone who can do the two-finger whistle.

I can whistle, but only via blowing wind off the back of my teeth which gives me pretty good pitch control, but unremarkable volume, it's audible if you are kind of near me, but I couldn't do a "lecher whistle" to a girl on the street if I were a construction worker.

Like Czech, I too, can touch my nose with my tongue.

Best of both worlds that.

Not really, no. I can usually get a few notes, but very seldom more. #8 on my Bucket List was to whistle the opening part to GnR's Patience. I did.

I also can't snap my fingers.

A friend of mine can't whistle and she said it is because she doesn't eat pizza crusts. She said that if you eat the crust, you can whistle. If not, you can't. It's a good thing she's hot.