TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

PS3 won't output in HD with component cables

To preface this, a year ago, my friend brought over his PS3 and it wouldn't display. I have a 5 year old 1080i RCA rear projection TV; no HDMI.

I bought a PS3 tonight. I also purchased some 3rd party component cables. However, I can only get the system to output with A/V cables in standard def. The component cables have inputs for the Wii and 360 as well. I tried the cables with the 360 and got a perfect HD signal, yet everything's black with the PS3.

What the hell is wrong? Why won't it output in 720p or 1080i? Would an HDMI to DVI adapter work?

It's probably a goofy setting in the PS3 that needs to be changed manually through the system options, so you'll have to use the RCAs first, change the settings in there, and then give it a shot.

Best way is probably to get an HDMI to DVI adapter for the cable and that would do the best trick in terms of best video output anyway without alot of fucking around with settings, etc.

Yea you need to hook your PS3 up with the standard AV cable and change the video output to the Component settings, then plug in your component cables.

Yea you need to hook your PS3 up with the standard AV cable and change the video output to the Component settings, then plug in your component cables.

I tried that about 10 times. Doesn't work on my TV.

I tried that about 10 times. Doesn't work on my TV.

How many HDMI-in's do you have? Mine has 2 and this setup only works with the HDMI 2 input for some reason. The DVI to HDMI plugs into that and then the Audio cables go into the red/white slots that are on their own and not grouped with any other inputs on the panel.

No, I don't have any HDMI ins. That's the problem.

Ah it's vice versa. I was reading it back'ards. :P

It should be the same concept, though with DVI instead of HDMI. Just to have the sound working the inputs for that have to be the standard audio in's on their own and not grouped with any other "input set".

I tried that, and since the TV has to be on the channel labeled DVI for DVI video to work, it can't use the audio cables properly.

So, I'm going to have to get a whole new fucking TV to be able to use the PS3 in high def. It will take 7-14 days to receive my Best Buy Mastercard in order to be able to make 36 months of interest free monthly payments on said TV. Good thing they have that deal going on... It won't take me 36 months to pay it off, but I can't afford it all at once.

Did you call Sony yet? I remember them being VERY good when it comes to helping me with some PS3 problems.

If anything, use the HDMI-DVI cord and then buy a cheap HTS or something. That way you can get sound out of it without having to get a new TV.

Well, fuck me running. Best Buy only gave me a $500 credit line for their card, so I can't even do the payment plan for a new TV. Thus, the PS3 goes back since it's (sadly) useless, and I'm getting a Wii.

I tried that, and since the TV has to be on the channel labeled DVI for DVI video to work, it can't use the audio cables properly.

So, I'm going to have to get a whole new fucking TV to be able to use the PS3 in high def. It will take 7-14 days to receive my Best Buy Mastercard in order to be able to make 36 months of interest free monthly payments on said TV. Good thing they have that deal going on... It won't take me 36 months to pay it off, but I can't afford it all at once.

pl140-large.jpg Plug this in and you get sound from DVI, tis what i did with my original LCD and my 360.