TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jaxxson Mayhem

Cowboys release Terrell Owens

Washington and New York are both supposedly not interested, so it looks likely that he'll be out of the NFC East. Baltimore seems like an intriguing option. Same with Denver, and particularly if Brandon Marshall is suspended for any significant period of time. I can't imagine that he would want to play with JaMarcus Russell in Oakland. Ditto Tarvaris Jackson in Minnesota.

Then again, I don't know if I see teams lining up to procure his services after he's been run out of three cities already. He might have to take what he can get, which could eventually lead him to the Raiders.

Why does everyone think TO is just going to go to Oakland? Again, the Raiders don't have the money to pay TO even if they wanted him. Like 909, said if this was last off-season, TO would have been a Raider for sure.

TO is going to want to play for a team with a good chance at getting a ring and a nice contract.

I think the Colts need to consider bringing Owens in. They just released Marvin Harrison and could certainly use him. Put him with Reggie Wayne and it could be interesting. This isn't a situation like Philly where McNabb is iffy with the team and management, so Owens could pull a bunch of crap. Or like Dallas with a dubious Romo. If he talks a bunch of crap about Manning the Colts could just cut him in a heartbeat.

The Patriots should consider it as well. Brady throwing to Moss, Owens, and Welker? Good grief.

I assume you mean the Jets there, since in no way are the Giants a "usual suspect" for big name/big $ free agents, especially a head case like Owens. Despite their clear need for a number one wideout, I have a difficult time seeing them going the route of replacing one shitstorm of a WR with another.

No, I meant the Giants. A perennial Super Bowl contender with a good QB/coach and a need for a #1 receiver? They'll definitely be a rumored suitor, but like I said in my original post, I don't see the fit there. They'd be an extreme long shot at this point.

Their name will definitely be thrown out there and speculated about, I certainly agree with you there. But TO isn't the type of guy the Giants would go after, whether the need is there or not. Additionally, they have the Plaxico issue - they aren't about to replace one headache with another.

I think the plan is the draft right now. I haven't heard Harrison's name at all but I think he could fit well as a possession/go-to guy for Eli the way Toomer was.

Why does everyone think TO is just going to go to Oakland? Again, the Raiders don't have the money to pay TO even if they wanted him. Like 909, said if this was last off-season, TO would have been a Raider for sure.

TO is going to want to play for a team with a good chance at getting a ring and a nice contract.

Fair enough. Maybe Minnesota, then. They missed on Houshmandzadeh, so there's still a need for an elite WR for their terrible quarterback to attempt to throw to.

I can't see Belichick taking on a a primadonna like TO. There were issues with Moss in terms of attitude and commitment, but he was never disliked by his teammates. TO's run himself out of town at multiple places now.

I don't know about that...Moss ran off the field early once with the Vikes, his teammates took that pretty badly.

Personally, I'd love to see TO on the Patriots. I used to hate the Pats, but with Moss and Owens? That will be one entertaining team.

Dolphins, Vikings, Niners, Falcons, and Browns join the Redskins and Giants in saying that they're not interested in signing the guy.

Jacksonville, maybe?

What about the Chiefs? They just got a quarterback and they have one wide out in Bowe. Put Owens with Bowe and Tony and there would be no excuse for Cassel not getting that offense into the playoffs.

I'd be stunned to see Owens sign with a team that didn't have a winning record last year, much less one that was far, far from it. The first three teams that popped into my head were Jacksonville, Tennessee, and San Diego. Problem with the first two is that neither has a QB who's likely to be throwing out many 300-yard games, and we know especially from last year that Owens wants his looks and his stats.

Here's how I have the odds of signing TO at the moment:

1. Oakland 25%. Desperate for WR; unconcerned with personality.

2. Jacksonville 12%. Need a WR; Del Rio needs to win.

3. Detroit 12%. Desperate for talent.

4. Denver 10%. Would work in the McDaniels offense.

5. St. Louis 10%. Dumping Holt; can't get much worse.

6. Tampa Bay 7%. Plenty of cap room.

7. Chicago 6%. Need WR but seem content with Hester, Bennett, and a draft pick.

8. Indianapolis 3%. Looking for a WR but will get him in the draft.

9. Buffalo 2%. They don't go for big free agents.

10. Cincinnati 2%. Have plenty of young and veteran WRs.

11. Seattle 2%. Signed Housh to a big deal.

12. New England 2%. Would briefly think about Moss & TO and then say no.

13. Houston 1%. Happy with Johnson and Walter.

14. Green Bay 1%. Set at WR.

15. New Orleans 1%. Have Colston, Shockey, Moore, Meachem, and Henderson.

16. Pittsburgh 1%. Won Super Bowl without him.

17. Carolina 1%. No cap space; already have to tolerate Steve Smith.

18. Arizona 1%. Have 3 WRs; need to sign their own players.

19. Kansas City 1%. Mr. Haley feuded with TO.

20. San Diego 0%. Denied interest.

21. Tennessee 0%. Denied interest.

22. Cleveland 0%. Denied interest.

23. Atlanta 0%. Denied interest.

24. New York Jets 0%. Denied interest.

25. San Francisco 0%. Denied interest.

26. Washington 0%. Denied interest.

27. Baltimore 0%. Denied interest.

28. Minnesota 0%. Denied interest.

29. New York Giants 0%. Denied interest.

30. Miami 0%. Mr. Parcells doesn't want him.

31. Philadelphia 0%. Already dealt with him.

32. Dallas 0%. Cut him.

Updates:

St. Louis 0%.

New Orleans 0%.

Jacksonville 0%.

Houston 0%.

Oakland 0%.

Tennessee >0%?

Tennessee 0%.

Tampa Bay 0%.

Chicago 0%.

Pittsburgh 0%.

Carolina 0%.

Edited by Xavier Cromartie

Guest Vitamin X
18. Arizona 1%. Have 3 WRs; need to sign their own players.

This may be true, but with Boldin wanting out and being a Super Bowl team, T.O. might not mind being part of a WR corps that includes Larry Fitzgerald on it.

With this happening, and Torry Holt asking for his release, the WR picks in free agency have gotten significantly better this year.

I don't see why people are quick to include teams with young (or unestablished) quarterbacks into the mix. If owners are already hesitant about adding the guy, most of these quarterbacks wouldn't exactly be begging for Owens either. Cutler already has a fragile psyche with this offseason, Clemens would be dead in the water, Flacco needs someone else in the mold of Derrick Mason, not a TO-type personality, etc. I can say the same thing for Tampa, Green Bay, Chicago, KC and Buffalo, at least among the 'favorites' to land him. Oakland seems like the only team stupid enough to sacrifice a young QB's future for the sake of winning (and yes, I am taking into account what 909 has been saying in this thread).

And as someone has already mentioned, you need to have a strong, established quarterback and a strong, established coach. Owens, with the first comment he makes questioning his team's motives, will have the media questioning whether said coach can control his own locker room. So, it's wash, rinse, repeat with TO. Any coach that can say "I don't give a shit about him, I'm going to sit him out this week" will be the one that's successful with Owens.

Taking my own qualifications into consideration, the teams left are Tennessee and New England.

I don't really see T.O. fitting on that blue collar Tennessee team. Plus, they're a running team with a pretty dicey QB situation. New England makes a little more sense, but the prospect of Brady working with that receiving corp is too frightening for me to seriously consider until I have to. Another team meeting your criteria would be Pittsburgh, but they don't really need him.

I'm pretty stumped as to where he'll actually end up going. Maybe the Argonauts.

I'm pretty stumped as to where he'll actually end up going. Maybe the Argonauts.

Nope... The 2008 Grey Cup Champions, the Calgary Stampeders!

Henry Burris FTW!

Guest Smues
The AF2 could use a star. T.O would look great in a Boise Burn jersey!

No way. He's going to the Spokane Shock! In three years in the league they've got one league title and another conference title. TO wants a title? Spokane will get him one!

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the teams that have said no give him a second look.

Right now it's like peer pressure among a bunch of guys seeing a hot skanky chick and all going "I wouldn't fuck that tramp, no way" while they all wait for each other to back away so they can put the moves on. Then the guy who actually gets her will face ridicule from all the other guys asking how he could do that, while they all secretly regret not being with her, because they know she'll bang the shit out of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the teams that have said no give him a second look.

Right now it's like peer pressure among a bunch of guys seeing a hot skanky chick and all going "I wouldn't fuck that tramp, no way" while they all wait for each other to back away so they can put the moves on. Then the guy who actually gets her will face ridicule from all the other guys asking how he could do that, while they all secretly regret not being with her, because they know she'll bang the shit out of them.

This is the second T.O being compared to a hot girl scenario I've heard in the last two days. Damn, gets a little disturbing to think of a female T.O.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Last FA the Colts signed was Dominic Rhodes, who was on the team before, and was cut this offseason. No way TO ends up in Indy.

TO in Indy makes the most sense I believe. He would put up awesome numbers with Manning, which would keep him happy and most importantly quiet.

If I were I team, I would TO give no more than a one year contract. Now if the Raiders did that, I would love to have TO on the team for a year. He's usually on his best behavior his first year on a team anyways.

TO in Indy makes the most sense I believe. He would put up awesome numbers with Manning, which would keep him happy and most importantly quiet.

Nah man, Wayne is their guy... Plus Gonzalez is developing into a good WR. He'll have career numbers next year.

No need for Owens.