TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Retrospective Moments Thread

Looking back at some of the moments on youtube, I started to wonder. If they exact moment was recreated in today's wrestle climate, without looking back at when the original event happened, would you still think the event was cool or not?

Example -

The Rock throwing Stone Cold off the bridge.

If The Rock was a current wrestler on the roster throwing another wrestler off the bridge, but the storyline was similar, would you still think it was a great moment? Or would you be crapping all over it if say it was John Cena throwing Randy Orton off a bridge?

Share your moments and twist the tale, just interested to see what people come up with.

Cena ultimately did it to Edge, right?

Ah yeah good point. I'll see if I can find it on youtube and we could do a direct comparison. Its mainly people's attitude towards the time of the event and the wrestlers involved that are interesting.

Cena throwing Edge into the Water

Rock throwing Austin into the Water

One retrospective moment i would like to be seen done again would be the austin-rikishi angle since they dropped the ball terribly with it the first time.

Someone runs over Orton, HHH, Taker, HBK, Cena....... etc. We need more mystery angles, and I'm sure they could be done a whole lot better than what happened in 2000.

Austin Ran Over/Who done it?

I guess we've got this 'half' replaying itself with Jeff Hardy? How would you do it? Who would you do it with? Looking back does this seem corny as hell?

It'd be cool if they did it right. Austin only got thrown off the bridge because, IIRC, Austin threw Rock's belt off a bridge and when Rock tried to reciprocate, Austin arrived and got tossed off the bridge in the process.

Plus they replayed the angle during the Invasion with Austin tossing Kurt Angle into a kiddie pool on a bridge to laugh at him for thinking Austin was going to chuck him off the bridge.

So was I the only one that thought the bridge thing was goofy at the time? I could not watch that without laughing, and I was in full on mark mode at that point.

I did, however, like the Raw where Taker abducted Austin from the hospital and tried to embalm him. I have no problem saying that would drive me mad if that went down today.

Then there's that one Raw where Austin abducted Vince and held him at gunpoint. I still think that one's fantastic, but so much of that was due to the context of the storyline that I might have a hard time accepting that if it went down today.

And as cited by Papacita, the best copy I could find even though it's cut to hell:

There used to be a full one from where he wheeled him out to when RAW went off the air, but damn if I can find it now.

The two Austin attacks would be great even now. The problem is, there's a reason for it and that's because it involved Stone Cold Steve Austin. And there is nobody that good anymore on the face side of things.

Ditto with Jake/Warrior. It wouldn't work in this era because there's nobody like Jake to sell it.

(Although saying that, I'm still unsure whether the Jake/Warrior segment is great or awful as it is.)

Jake's explanation interview after turning on Warrior is priceless... "'Mr. Rabbit, I'm going to eat you!' 'No! I'm your friend!' 'I told you from the beginning: Never trust a snake!' ... Warrior, you might be the biggest, dumbest rabbit I've ever seen!"

Another one that could be done again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYOno0d6cmU

First off, I wish Tazz did go off on Austin, either at that time or during the Invasion when Austin whipped him.

I'd love to see another face just step up to a heel and beat the crap out of him.

It'd be cool if they did it right. Austin only got thrown off the bridge because, IIRC, Austin threw Rock's belt off a bridge and when Rock tried to reciprocate, Austin arrived and got tossed off the bridge in the process.

Plus they replayed the angle during the Invasion with Austin tossing Kurt Angle into a kiddie pool on a bridge to laugh at him for thinking Austin was going to chuck him off the bridge.

IIRC, it was the other way around, with Angle throwing Austin into the kiddie pool.

Watching WMX, what's interesting to me is the Bret angle and the reaction. I can virtually guarantee if they did that this year with somebody like CM Punk or Jeff Hardy, people would bitch forever and a day about how they were buried.

Think about it. Opening match, Punk loses to Colt Cabana, or better comparison Jeff loses to Matt, clean. Then in the main event, they beat Big Show for the World Title, only after he slips on the ropes and falls on his head through no fault other than his own. You'd hear the cries of BURIED from miles away.

I was watching WM X the other day and thinking about something along those lines. Yokozuna, outside of the loss to Hogan, had to be one of the most protected heel champions they ever had in that era. On one hand, they had to do it because that was the way business was done back in those days. On the other hand, Bret had already practically beat the guy the year before the Sharpshooter, and I can't think of any other believable finish.

Watching WMX, what's interesting to me is the Bret angle and the reaction. I can virtually guarantee if they did that this year with somebody like CM Punk or Jeff Hardy, people would bitch forever and a day about how they were buried.

Think about it. Opening match, Punk loses to Colt Cabana, or better comparison Jeff loses to Matt, clean. Then in the main event, they beat Big Show for the World Title, only after he slips on the ropes and falls on his head through no fault other than his own. You'd hear the cries of BURIED from miles away.

1) Bret was an established main event star. CM Punk is not. Jeff Hardy really isn't and is more of a stop-gap guy they go to while they get ready the guy they intend to push to the top.

2) Matt Hardy isn't about to get put into the main event scene. Colt Cabana never was. Owen was because...

3) The loss to Owen was done to set up a main event title program because...

4) Bret ended up giving Yokozuna his first clean pinfall loss to win the WWF Title. Such a thing was a far bigger deal back then than it would be now.

Apart from that, and ignoring the sweeping and inaccurate generalization, your post seems on the money.