TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Big Green

Heel Characters That You Agreed With?

I'll start:

Chris Nowinski - Thought he was right about the Iraq War. It kind of disgusted me as a 13 year old to see Scott Steiner getting pops for spouting what was essentially mindless right wing rhetoric and then getting zombie like pops from the audience. After that, I basically rooted for Nowinski until the end of his career.

Muhammad Hassan - I agreed with his message about Arab-American discrimination but I understand why WWE booked him as a heel. I always found it funny though that WWE basically booked him to be right for a while with the biggest example being when EVERYONE in the Rumble teamed up just to get him out.

I'd say Bret Hart, but he was supposed to be a face to me, so that doesn't work.

First example for me would probably be Savage before WM5. Any idiot could see that Hogan WAS a huge gloryhound who was after Elizabeth. :P

Both of Big Green's answers are very good. Jingoism is a part of pro wrestling that I strongly dislike.

When Luna was speaking the truth about how Sable only had her spot because of her looks, and got booed out of the building, comes to mind.

Not so sure about the Main Event Mafia and how things have gone since then, but Sting's "heel" work from last year that had the fans turn on Joe because everything Sting said was true.

A no-brainer but the West Texas Rednecks vs. No Limit.

I think EVERYONE sided with the "heels" in this one.

When Luna was speaking the truth about how Sable only had her spot because of her looks, and got booed out of the building, comes to mind.

Ditto Lacey with Sunny in ROH.

Christopher Daniels' farewell promo in ROH can get a mention too.

A no-brainer but the West Texas Rednecks vs. No Limit.

I think EVERYONE sided with the "heels" in this one.

Agreed. It was amazing watching the announcers try and spin that one.

The obvious one for me is The Bossman in his feud with The Big Show. Show was a fatherless bastard and deserved to go casket surfing because of it

Faarooq and Ahmed Johnson circa KOTR 97, but much more Ahmed. Ahmed was actually a face at the time, so for me it meant a lot when could come out and say, essentially, "I'm not a racist like Faarooq, but Vince, he's got a point about you not giving World title opportunities to black wrestlers." Of course this all ended up leading to his heel turn, but for the moment it was nice that he could express that on TV without being labeled or delegitimized in any way.

Not so much Luna against Sable (even though you could see Luna was right), but I've sided with pretty much every woman who claimed about the Divas getting opportunities because of their looks. Victoria beating up all the Diva Search girls, citing as her motivation stuff that a good percentage of us had been complaining about for roughly a year, and then being written off as a jealous Diva was particularly irritating for me.

Molly Holly in general. WWE always tended to have some warped logic when it came to her.

Moving away from the social context, I sided with Sid Justice against Hulk Hogan in the build up to WM8, especially when Hogan got mad and tried to pull him out of the Rumble.

Faarooq and Ahmed Johnson circa KOTR 97, but much more Ahmed. Ahmed was actually a face at the time, so for me it meant a lot when could come out and say, essentially, "I'm not a racist like Faarooq, but Vince, he's got a point about you not giving World title opportunities to black wrestlers." Of course this all ended up leading to his heel turn, but for the moment it was nice that he could express that on TV without being labeled or delegitimized in any way.

Not so much Luna against Sable (even though you could see Luna was right), but I've sided with pretty much every woman who claimed about the Divas getting opportunities because of their looks. Victoria beating up all the Diva Search girls, citing as her motivation stuff that a good percentage of us had been complaining about for roughly a year, and then being written off as a jealous Diva was particularly irritating for me.

Molly Holly in general. WWE always tended to have some warped logic when it came to her.

Moving away from the social context, I sided with Sid Justice against Hulk Hogan in the build up to WM8, especially when Hogan got mad and tried to pull him out of the Rumble.

As a kid, Sid being eliminated by Hogan was the first instance of me getting really ticked off at Hogan. I was so sure Sid was going to win that match... I was furious with how Hogan was acting like such a sore loser and then expecting the crowd to be behind him. Going back and watching it now, though, I get a kick out of Sid "crying" at Hogan after he dumps him.

Right now anyone in the Main Event Mafia would qualify as a heel that is right. Guys like Booker and Steiner being attacked by guys like Styles and Joe, who come off exactly like the out of control young punks that the MEM say they are.

Hogan always was a sore loser in Royal Rumbles.

In his first Royal Rumble match, when he was eliminated by Bossman and Akeem, he eliminated Bossman after being eliminated.

It's not so much siding with a heel, since both guys were faces, but in the whole HBK/Batista feud over Flair's retirement, I thought Batista came across really badly. The issue was b/w Flair and HBK, and somehow Batista took it upon himself to pass judgment.

I was totally on Owen Hart's side when he kicked Bret's leg out of his leg at RR '94. As a young mark watching that tag match, I was getting really pissed off that Bret wouldn't tag Owen in despite having a million chances to do so.

I sided with Sid Justice against Hulk Hogan in the build up to WM8, especially when Hogan got mad and tried to pull him out of the Rumble.

IIRC, there were an awful lot of people in the arena at the Rumble who agreed with you. First time I can ever remember a WWE crowd turning on Hogan.

I sided with Sid Justice against Hulk Hogan in the build up to WM8, especially when Hogan got mad and tried to pull him out of the Rumble.

IIRC, there were an awful lot of people in the arena at the Rumble who agreed with you. First time I can ever remember a WWE crowd turning on Hogan.

But you had to watch it live to hear that. Apparently, when they aired the footage on TV, they not only edited out the fans booing Hogan, they also had new commentary done to further make Sid out to be the heel. The best part is Sid pointing out the sign that said "Hulk Who?"

JBL with almost every word that comes out his mouth.

Yeah, because apparantly in the WWE universe, you're the bad guy if you try to have good morals. Also see: Bret Hart and Right To Censor.

JBL with almost every word that comes out his mouth.

Yeah, because apparantly in the WWE universe, you're the bad guy if you try to have good morals. Also see: Bret Hart and Right To Censor.

And Kurt Angle

Not sure if it's appropriate for this thread or a new one but, looking at it the other way (face characters you didn't agree with), as a young mark I could never for the life of me work out why Sting thought he could come back to wrestle after 18 months of not wrestling and immediately get a world title shot.

I didn't understand why for about the first year I was watching wrestling The Rock was booed heavily and a near-top level heel, to one day all of a sudden being one of the emerging top faces and cheered everywhere. He didn't change his personality at all, and I refused to root for him. I think that was when I stopped going along with the face/heel stuff and just liking who I wanted to.

"Anti-Hardcore" Mick Foley comes to mind, at least initially. The character, spurned by the "Cane Dewey" sign, wanted the wrestlers with bright futures to stop destroying their bodies (and thus their opportunities to advance their careers) like he did, focusing on Dreamer.

Bobby Heenan in 1987 during the Heenan/Patera feud. Patera blamed Heenan for his legal troubles and for abandoning him in prison. Heenan rightfully pointed out that he is not a babysitter, and that Patera brought it on himself.

Paul Heyman's whole, "You made wrestling a dirty word, Vince" promo came to mind.

I didn't understand why for about the first year I was watching wrestling The Rock was booed heavily and a near-top level heel, to one day all of a sudden being one of the emerging top faces and cheered everywhere. He didn't change his personality at all, and I refused to root for him. I think that was when I stopped going along with the face/heel stuff and just liking who I wanted to.

Interestingly enough, Rock's promo after joining the Corporation, when he laid out his reasons for why he "turned" heel after being promoted as a babyface since SummerSlam counts.

Essentially the point was "screw you, you hated me when I was this way, you wanted me to die! And now you love me? SCREW YOU!"

Can't say the fans didn't deserve that one!

My first instinct was Bret Hart in '97, followed by an inverse answer of Hogan in the Rumbles, specifically '89 and '92. How good was Jesse Ventura on commentary when Hogan bent any rules?

My first instinct was Bret Hart in '97, followed by an inverse answer of Hogan in the Rumbles, specifically '89 and '92. How good was Jesse Ventura on commentary when Hogan bent any rules?

I still love hearing Jesse rant on Hogan whenever he'd break the rules.

Another one that I agree with more and more after the fact... Vince McMahon and the "Bret screwed Bret" speech.

I'm also on board with pretty much any heel that brings up how big a screw-up Jeff Hardy is.

God, yes. The absolute low point was when Trish called her fat and I guess we were all supposed to cheer for the implication that a woman who didn't look like a supermodel ideal just isn't up to par. Even as a fourteen-year old boy I was completely repulsed.

I also agreed with Chris Jericho at the very start of his heel turn last year, though that didn't last long.

I still love hearing Jesse rant on Hogan whenever he'd break the rules.

Another one that I agree with more and more after the fact... Vince McMahon and the "Bret screwed Bret" speech.

I'm also on board with pretty much any heel that brings up how big a screw-up Jeff Hardy is.

I'll bite my tongue on Vince, to avoid another Montreal debate. Yes to Hardy. Good call. I'd been meaning to mention, as well, how much I agreed with the initial two of Nowinski and Hussan.

Jesse at the 89 Rumble had a line from Chapelle's show!

Body: "Look at the poor sportsmanship of Hogan, beating up Akeem and Bossman after he was eliminated!"

Gorilla: "They got revenge on Hogan after a loss on SNME!"

Body: "That was weeks ago, Gorilla!"