TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Big Green

Heel Characters That You Agreed With?

The Truth was right in his first major Promo that led to his title reign in early TNA. He was also right when he would bad mouth the X division while he was champion for being pushed as the best, when he was the champion. He was pretty much always right...and it lead to him being a face as a result.

Ah yes, I remember when Killings actually fucking meant something. Solid matches against Lynn and LowKi solidified him as actually deserving of the belt, and then voila...loses it to Jarrett, and then loses the rematch a week later, in a pair of damned solid brawls because of Russo (well, Mr. Wrestling III). He did cut a little bit of a face promo after convincing Steamboat to give him the title shot, though, saying that it was all about being given an opportunity, and that what you do with it is up to you.

...man, I miss Ron Killings as an awesome heel.

I agree with Vicious. Angle's character was that it was easy to do what was right and brag about it, but when things don't go your way, it is easy to cheat or use some sort of sneakiness. Armageddon HIAC comes to mind.

Shawn Michaels during his battles with Hogan.

I think with Jericho, it's implied everything he's saying is the truth.

Also, during the Khali/Batista feud, I thought Khali came off a lot more sympathetic than Batista did. Batista was a total dick, complaining when Khali won the title fair and square, complaining about not getting his 89th title shot and crashing Khali's celebration party, where everyone was just trying to have a good time.

I almost always agreed with Jesse Ventura's viewpoint rather than McMahon's when they were doing commentary together. Gorilla was fine, but Vince always said the dumbest things that even a ten year old mark like myself could tell he didn't know what he was talking about.

I agreed with Mick Foley as GM when he wanted Stone Cold to stop interferring in matches during his quest to find the guy who ran him over. The crowds were booing Foley for wanting Austin to knock it off, and I was annoyed by it because I hated seeing Austin get pops for stunning guys who were otherwise fan favorites.

Put me down for agreeing 100% with Jericho in regards to his comments against HBK last year. I thought they were trying to turn HBK when that angle began, since Jericho was condemning him for faking injury, and lying to his fans, just to win a match.

The night after Survivor Series 2001 when Angle was going to get awarded the WWF title for helping the WWF beat the Alliance only to get booed and when Austin came out he got cheered even though not even 24 hours before that was trying to put the WWF out of business.

Also, during the Khali/Batista feud, I thought Khali came off a lot more sympathetic than Batista did. Batista was a total dick, complaining when Khali won the title fair and square, complaining about not getting his 89th title shot and crashing Khali's celebration party, where everyone was just trying to have a good time.

I remember feeling the same way with Khali/Big Show last year. Especially the segment where Khali tried to make a peace offering and give Big Show alcohol and a goat and all that and then Big Show punched him in the face and walked off. Um. Woo-hoo, go rejecting an admittedly odd attempt at generosity?

This doesn't exactly fit the topic at hand, but Christian and Ricky Ortiz mocking Jack Swagger because of his lisp for laughs is ridiculous. How is that a face move?

Speaking of which, Lita made fun of Kanyon's lisp in 2001 as well even though she was a face.

This doesn't exactly fit the topic at hand, but Christian and Ricky Ortiz mocking Jack Swagger because of his lisp for laughs is ridiculous. How is that a face move?

Speaking of which, Lita made fun of Kanyon's lisp in 2001 as well even though she was a face.

Wait. Hold on. Lita made fun of somebody's speech pattern?! Do you have video on this?

HHH during his feud with Goldberg although to be fair, WWE was making Goldberg look bad in almost way possible for each of his feuds.

Kane during his feuds with Undertaker since Undertaker burned the house down on purpose!

Guest !!!!

I've got to agree with the posts about Khali and Swagger.

Another good one is Sean O'Haire's "devil's advocate" promos.

I agree with Vicious. Angle's character was that it was easy to do what was right and brag about it, but when things don't go your way, it is easy to cheat or use some sort of sneakiness. Armageddon HIAC comes to mind.

On a side note, the way Angle no sold his pyro and just stared at the cell in fear was fantastic, especially for the short time he'd been there.

I too agreed with Jericho on most of his anti HBK promos. What gets me is the prayer schtick. If it was part of his gimmick then fine, but we have seen no Sweet Psalm Music, no Holy Elbow drops. It seems the prayer thing was tacked on to the gimmick by Michaels for self indulgence. Out of all the baby faces with strong religious beliefs outside of kayfabe there have been none who include them in their gimmick out of character like that. They wouldn't be allowed to do that.

Not to knock religion, my point is if Paul Levesque became a pagan we wouldn't see Triple H conduct a bloody goat sacrifice on the ramp and then continue his gimmick as normal. But then he does have an A and a B gimmick to keep him occupied when things get stale. Michaels has no such luxury other than using the DX theme on occassion.

Guest !!!!

"A question mark shaped like a P... Hello PauLeena?"

The avatar is a ? and ! combined. I'm not sure who PauLeena is, I just discovered TSM a few days ago and decided to sign up. :D Sorry to go off topic. To stay on topic, I think people should give Michaels a break. Becoming a Christian was a big part of his life after the lifestyle he lived for so many years. I really do think he's sincere and not trying to use it to some nefarious advantage. Anyway, it's not like he's out there week in, week out cutting promos about how God will help him defeat his opponents. It's brought up rarely and usually to good effect (such as the Jericho heel promos, as mentioned).

I tend to agree with the heel quite often. This isn't QUITE that, but I just remembered; during a Lita/Stratus feud, with Lita as the face and Stratus as the heel, the crowd was doing the "slut!" chant, and Stratus did the "hey, don't call Lita a slut" thing. Thing is, this was right after the whole rigamorole with Edge and Matt Hardy, so the crowd WAS chanting at Lita.

Oh, and during Kurt Angle's medal challenge thing, the whole thing with Eugene was mind-numbing. I was sympathizing with Kurt's exasperation the whole time and Eugene came off as a massive retarded dick.

To stay on topic, I think people should give Michaels a break. Becoming a Christian was a big part of his life after the lifestyle he lived for so many years. I really do think he's sincere and not trying to use it to some nefarious advantage. Anyway, it's not like he's out there week in, week out cutting promos about how God will help him defeat his opponents. It's brought up rarely and usually to good effect (such as the Jericho heel promos, as mentioned).

I agree with PauLeena, and it's pretty unheard of for me to defend HBK.

To stay on topic, I think people should give Michaels a break. Becoming a Christian was a big part of his life after the lifestyle he lived for so many years. I really do think he's sincere and not trying to use it to some nefarious advantage. Anyway, it's not like he's out there week in, week out cutting promos about how God will help him defeat his opponents. It's brought up rarely and usually to good effect (such as the Jericho heel promos, as mentioned).

True, but to be fair, Michaels (or WWE marketing) using religion to sell his T-shirts is pretty lame.

JBL with almost every word that comes out his mouth.

Molly Holly in general. WWE always tended to have some warped logic when it came to her.

Yeah, because apparantly in the WWE universe, you're the bad guy if you try to have good morals. Also see: Bret Hart and Right To Censor.

And Kurt Angle

I can't recall the Molly Holly angle, but as far as RTC, Angle and to a lesser extent Hart, you can be right, but you don't have to be such an arrogant dickhead about it. It's more the attitude than the message that makes you a heel (and of course they're a heel because WWE tells you so).

Edit: okay Viciousfish already said it, I'll go sit at the back of the class now.

Edited by evilhomer

JBL with almost every word that comes out his mouth.

Molly Holly in general. WWE always tended to have some warped logic when it came to her.

Yeah, because apparantly in the WWE universe, you're the bad guy if you try to have good morals. Also see: Bret Hart and Right To Censor.

And Kurt Angle

I can't recall the Molly Holly angle, but as far as RTC, Angle and to a lesser extent Hart, you can be right, but you don't have to be such an arrogant dickhead about it. It's more the attitude than the message that makes you a heel (and of course they're a heel because WWE tells you so).

Edit: okay Viciousfish already said it, I'll go sit at the back of the class now.

Very true, but the whole point of RTC, Molly and Angle was to mock the message through the heel persona. Hart's diatribe's were deadly serious, he wasn't cutting them to get cheap pops, he was speaking from the heart (no pun intended) of his character.

RTC, Molly and Angle (also throw in Owen Hart's last run as The Blue Blazer) (as promos and things other than during the matches action) were all presented as jokes and therefore their message WAS a joke because it disagreed with the way the WWE was doing things. Rational thinking people WOULD agree with the messages, but since the WWE DIDN'T want you to agree with what they were saying, they turned the message into a bunch of living in the past goody-two-shoes jokes.

If you have good morals and try to force them upon someone, you're a dickhead. You don't need to tell anyone how to act or what to do, they can make decisions for themselves. That's the whole premise of the heels who sort of have the right message but go about it the wrong way. Professional wrestling crowds turn on anyone at any given time really, and Bret Hart had to introduce family values and how the US had none. How is that a good thing? What he said wasn't 100% truth. Just because some of the people fell under that category doesn't make him all in the right. I'm sure Canadians aren't all about family values, either. So it felt like he was forcing his values and beliefs onto everybody in the US, which you just don't do. It made sense at the time when I was 12 and it makes sense to me now.

If you have good morals and try to force them upon someone, you're a dickhead. You don't need to tell anyone how to act or what to do, they can make decisions for themselves. That's the whole premise of the heels who sort of have the right message but go about it the wrong way. Professional wrestling crowds turn on anyone at any given time really, and Bret Hart had to introduce family values and how the US had none. How is that a good thing? What he said wasn't 100% truth. Just because some of the people fell under that category doesn't make him all in the right. I'm sure Canadians aren't all about family values, either. So it felt like he was forcing his values and beliefs onto everybody in the US, which you just don't do. It made sense at the time when I was 12 and it makes sense to me now.

As a 13-year-old mark, I agreed with Bret all over the place. As a 24-year-old, the above quote makes sense, but I still agree with Bret's reasoning for turning heel - kayfabe, he really had been screwed all over the place by Michaels and Austin from his return in '96 up to his heel turn, and nothing ever really was done about it. I'm inclined to agree with him on the mixture of shoot he worked into his promos re: HBK, but that's a fairly grey area, all things considered.

Paul Heyman's whole, "You made wrestling a dirty word, Vince" promo came to mind.

2nd. Brilliant promo. Everything was 100% true. Wish Heyman was still cutting promos.

Paul Heyman's whole, "You made wrestling a dirty word, Vince" promo came to mind.

2nd. Brilliant promo. Everything was 100% true. Wish Heyman was still cutting promos.

Yes. Realistically, Heyman's moved on if he had Vince's name on his paycheques, but I guarantee there was more than a little heart to those promos.

Devil's advocate here. Heyman was heel and Vince face. If his promo was true and on the money, is it really a good promo?

I think in context of the storyline, it actually failed some. In one respect it was great, since it actually made it appear that there was some real heat going into the PPV (note how many people still refer to that promo as a shoot), but when you consider that one of the purposes was to turn Tazz, the segment loses something. Heyman came off so genuine and sincere that when Tazz came in to choke him out, it was hard to really sympathize with him or Vince.