TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Jade Goody's Cancer

Not sure if you guys have been hammered with the media coverage we get in the UK about this, but its starting to annoy me. Jade Goody, 'famous' for being a thick common as muck housemate in a Big Brother a few years ago. Then invited back into Big Brother for 'Celebrity' Big Brother where she said some questionable boarder line racist comments and bullied an Indian housemate. THEN when in the INDIAN Big Brother House found out she had Cervical Cancer.

Ever since then she's been in the papers and the news channels every other hour with an update. I don't overly blame Jade Goody for this, I blame Media Mincer Max Clifford, who's a scandalous twatbags. However, her constant media whoring - or should I say Max Clifford appearing releasing updates - is starting to get on my tits. You'd think she was the only person in the world with cancer. Fair play she wants to increase awareness about Cervical Cancer, and has done so to some degree, but the constant attention around her is distracting from the message.

What pisses me off about this is that she says she's "doing this for her children" by making loads of money for them when surely the best thing she could be doing for her kids now is to be spending her last moments with them in a natural enviroment. Not in front of an OK Magazine photograher.

Jade should be ashamed of herself. Her life has been one big train wreck and she's done nothing to help herself. I know it's sad that she has cancer and I can symapthise with it, but whoring herself out to anyone who will listen is really wrong.

The kicker to all this, is that the last time she was in the papers (when she was a bit of a racist on CBB), the public hated her. Now she's dying she's like the countries favourite person. She'll be forgotton about soon enough. Once she dies, there will be some stories and interviews with her new "husband" and then they will move onto something different.

Ever since then she's been in the papers and the news channels every other hour with an update. I don't overly blame Jade Goody for this, I blame Media Mincer Max Clifford, who's a scandalous twatbags. However, her constant media whoring - or should I say Max Clifford appearing releasing updates - is starting to get on my tits. You'd think she was the only person in the world with cancer. Fair play she wants to increase awareness about Cervical Cancer, and has done so to some degree, but the constant attention around her is distracting from the message.

The thing is, it's not Jade's fault, and it's not Max Cliffords fault. If you're annoyed by all this then blame all the people who buy the gossip mags and watch Big Brother who create "celebrities" like her in the first place. There's no point getting cross at individuals who exploit this, if it wasn't Clifford it'd be someone else.

Jade Goody, 'famous' for being a thick common as muck housemate in a Big Brother a few years ago.

My new mission in life is to figure out exactly what this means.

Jade Goody, 'famous' for being a thick common as muck housemate in a Big Brother a few years ago.

My new mission in life is to figure out exactly what this means.

Guess its a UK saying, just means someones basically a trampy hobo peasant street urchin low life.

Apparently the old aristocratic mindset has lingered on in the UK to the point where "common", i.e. not of noble blood, is still considered an insult.

Well, its not quite about noble blood, but that's not far off. There's always been a big divide between the middle class and the working class in the UK.

Jade Goody isn't particularly bright, interesting or appealing, but the fact that some people are actually taking pleasure in the fact she's dying is more distasteful than anything she ever did.

(That's not referring to anyone in this thread, I have heard people opine that the sooner she's dead the better because of her being in the headlines all the time, being stupid, etc)

Oh yeah, I get that part. I just think it's interesting to look at the origins of terms and see the attitudes which created them. The British insult "common" traces back to a mindset where many of the aristocracy literally believed themselves to be a superior form of life as compared to the peasantry. Not saying that same belief is still prevalent now, but it was so strongly held for such a long time that we still have lingering echoes such as this.

Actually, "white trash" is another good example. An American term which is passively racist, implying that it's necessary to note that this particular trash is caucasian. There aren't any identical euphemisms for other races, no "black trash" or "yellow trash"; the inference is that you normally wouldn't expect a white person to be this trashy.

As for the chick in question, she's basically like Paris Hilton, except old, fat, not rich, and presumably even more lacking in any talent or redeeming features which would excuse her celebrity? Wow. The UK has even worse reality television stars than we do.

Sooooo I googled her. Ya' know, cause my interest was peaked.

jade-goody-cancer-dying.jpg

jade-goody-living-tv-autumn-schedule-launch-at-nobu-gjCw0U.jpg

She kinda looks like the girl your less sociable friend/relative/acquaintance would hook up with once, fall madly in love with and be led around by his balls the rest of his life.

Shame she's got cancer and all.

Sorry you lot have to hear about it all the time.

Also couldn't you just use the insult "common" as someone with no real distinguishing characteristics? "Common muck" I interpreted as generic, can be found anywhere, bland, not some class distinction.

Common as much is the saying, I guess they could trim it down to 'common' but it doesn't have the same ring. Back to the topic; I'm sorry she has the cancer and everything, its not a nice thing to have (my Nana is going through a cancer battle at the moment), but the way the media is harping on about it every hour is beyond a joke. The whole thing doesn't seem very 'tasteful' at all.

Yes, she has raised awareness for young people and cervical cancer, which is good. Yet, because of who she is and what she's 'famous' for - constant media whoring and gaining 'fame' through Big Brother - I think most people are generally just fed up of seeing her. I think if she had any other illness/diseases besides cancer, people would be all over her and taking the piss. But since its the dreaded 'C' people think its a touchy subject.

This is why she's famous:

jade-goody-naked-big-brother.jpg

Then asking 'Can you see my Kebab?'

Classy huh?

I think anytime a young woman with two young children is dying it's sad. I'll give Jade some credit that she had a tough upbringing, a junkie dad, a one armed lesbian mother, no real intelligence, good looks, or any sort of talent and still managed to make herself a millionaire. Sort of inspirational, in a weird way.

She is doing a lot of this stuff for her kids. But she has, all her life, been a complete attention whore, and a lot of this is just an extension of that. Even now, she's still concerned about being liked and idolised. That's what the wedding was all about.

You forgot she blew a guy that night too. And for generally being dumb.

It's kind of like when a bunch of girls curdle and coo over that one mentally disabled guy/girl they look after. Big brother UK in general has been a chance for the British public to feel good about themselves. 'Aww that guy has tourrettes. Im lucky I dont have it, I want him to win!'.

Max Clifford Tells Jade Goody 'enough is enough'

Mr Clifford said he now believed that "enough is enough", but that Goody, 27, is still keen to have her photo taken and appear on the front pages of tabloid newspapers.

The dying reality television star sold the rights to her wedding for a rumoured £700,000 to OK! magazine and is also being filmed by Living TV

Speaking to radio station TalkSport, Mr Clifford said: "My attitude to Jade in recent times is: Don't you think enough is enough? Don't you think you've got the message out there?

"The money that you wanted for the boys we've done, we've made, it's in place, the money is assured."

He added: "Jade likes and enjoys the media spotlight. You have to marry all of these things."

Mr Clifford, who is also a close friend of Goody's, said that she had rejected his offer to block paparazzi from taking pictures as she leaves hospital, telling him: "I don't want to stop them".

You know things are bad when even Max Clifford is getting offended at this.

Oh yeah, I get that part. I just think it's interesting to look at the origins of terms and see the attitudes which created them. The British insult "common" traces back to a mindset where many of the aristocracy literally believed themselves to be a superior form of life as compared to the peasantry. Not saying that same belief is still prevalent now, but it was so strongly held for such a long time that we still have lingering echoes such as this.

Actually, "white trash" is another good example. An American term which is passively racist, implying that it's necessary to note that this particular trash is caucasian. There aren't any identical euphemisms for other races, no "black trash" or "yellow trash"; the inference is that you normally wouldn't expect a white person to be this trashy.

As for the chick in question, she's basically like Paris Hilton, except old, fat, not rich, and presumably even more lacking in any talent or redeeming features which would excuse her celebrity? Wow. The UK has even worse reality television stars than we do.

This is probably the smartest thing I've read all day.

I can symapthise with it,

I bloody well can't. The world will have lost absoutely nothing.

I can sympathise with her. She's dying at 27 and leaving 2 kids behind. That sucks.

She's just someone who wanted to be famous, and now that she is famous, won't let it go. Her whole life has been one sad train wreck.

wot a lovely wedding, some people comments are sick and u should be shot, u evil people

DEAR JADE X JACK MY HEART IS BREAKING THANK GOD YOU FOUND YOUR TRUE LOVE BLESS YOU CHRISTINE FROM LONG SUTTONXXXX

God I will be glad when this is over.

I'm not sure.

I read an interview with her about a month ago that said she wants an open funeral for anyone to attend and she wants someone to make her a reef of flowers in the shape of a Marmite Jar with the words, "You either loved her or hated her".

At least we can move on and focus on other, more important, news.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERGH! This is fucking beyond a joke. She's not the only person in the world to have had cancer. Ok, so she might have raised awareness slightly for younger people to get cervical smears or whatever, but even then that was only because it was harped on about in the papers.

I could understand her desire to make as much money for her children back at the start of this whole affair, but the stunning lack of dignity with which it has countined has been sleazy frankly. To have the Prime Minister sumbling into the middle of it now is tacky, especially since you know Labour are just looking at it as an excuse to cozy up to the proles and get the economy out of the headlines for a few days