TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Agent of Oblivion question of the day

I have had a rocky patch with each of them at one point or another. I have always maintained a good relationship with one of them at a time continuously, though. For the past several years, our relationship has been great. They turn to me for help on a lot of things, which makes me feel appreciated and respected.

I handled their life insurance and investments, which was a major step as my dad always viewed me as a kid that was dependant upon him. After I landed a couple of huge deals and explained what I did for other people, he realized that I knew what I was doing in the world of finance and coverage. I took over their company's webpage and helped them run their business. I helped on key decisions for expansion by running numbers, helped with remodeling projects, and recently provided equipment from my newest job at no cost to help them get a week's worth of work done in a matter of hours. I also showed them the benefits of a bi-weekly mortgage, which is going to shave years off their business loans for their rental properties, and save them a ton of money at the same time. For all of this, they have a high opinion of me and how useful I can be. I was never a fuck-up, but my dad had it in my head that because I didn't finish college, I was a waste and was going to have low-paying jobs for the rest of my life. It's weird, because he didn't graduate either.

I buy my dad a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold each Christmas, and get my mom something nice as well. Then I get them something big for both of them. Last year I got had my big screen refurbished and gave them that and upgraded their DirecTV to HD for one year. They get me way too much for Christmas, but the gifts are always nice. I live two hours away from them, so I'm not down to see them often. When I do get to visit, we have a blast cooking out, drinking a little, and just catching up on everything that we deem necessary.

My brother is married to a woman with security issues, and she needs medication for some psychological issues. She tries to separate my family from their own little family, and it has worked. I am the younger brother, but I am the one that is the more respected. I am listed as executor in their will, and they want me to make sure my older brother is taken care of.

I like the relationship that I have with my parents.

It's worth noting that my parents haven't been together since I was 13.

Daddy: I had a pretty strained relationship with him when he was with my mother, since he could never really pluck up the courage to stand up to her about anything. We get along great now though, which is probably due to how relaxed he is. He encourages me to drink alcohol with meals even though I don't really enjoy doing so, which is not only hilarious but also shows that he sees me as more of an adult than...

Mummy: does. I am quite fond of my mother, but she really needs to grant me more responsibility. I'm not allowed to cook for fear of her oven exploding.

Very well and have pretty much all my life. I had the typical "Tough but loving father, maternal mother who let me have my way" childhood. I've been significantly closer with both of them since my dad went through chemo and beat the leukemia he was diagnosed with back in October.

Incredibly well. As dorky as it sounds, I consider my dad to be one of my best friends. My mom can be a bit of a nag but you can probably say that about 90% of mothers (hell, 90% of women in general). If anything, I think they're too soft on me...but I should probably enjoy their attitude towards me, I think they'll be pressing for me to get the hell out in two years when I graduate college. That's sort of how it went with my older brother.

My dad is pretty much my best friend. I get along with my mom just fine, some of the things that she does pisses me off, and we don't have that much in common, but she's still my mom and we have a pretty good relationship. I do favor my dad though.

Mom: I have lots of love for my mom, but a hard time showing it to her. I often act like a 12 year old brat around her, for reasons I don't know. She annoys me alot, trying to baby me and being stubborn as a brick. She does things that she knows annoy me, and I tell her not to do them every time, but she does them again and again. I'm closer to her in the way that I can talk to her about things I'd never talk to my dad about. We get along well for the most part.

Dad: During my teen years we didn't get along so great. I was a rebel and he was the strict father who wouldn't let no shit fly. Now he's completely changed and chill all of the time and we get along much better. I think it's partly because I'm older and partly just because he's changed as a person.

Step mom: Uptight. Religious. Anti-Fag. Close minded. Stressed. I can handle her in small doses, and don't have a grudge against her, but she just has everything I don't like in a person. When I'm living at home and she's around the tension in the house just seems to sky-rocket. I think she tries to be a good person though, so whatevs.

Step dad: Chill guy, cool, easy to get along with. He married my mom just a few years ago, so I didn't grow up with him like I did with my step mom.

I just have my mom, because my dad died in a car accident and my mom never remarried. I'm an only child too, so you'd think that I'd be a real momma's boy. In some ways I guess I am. like when I was pretty sick a couple years ago when my appendix burst and I was a stupid ass and didn't go to the hospital until I was nearly dead and she took a week off from her job as a teacher to come down and take care of me when I got out of the hospital.

I never realized how much she sacrificed for me when I was a kid, how little I really went without even though she worked hard and we couldn't have had that much money.

She does her best to embarrass me, and usually succeeds. She chides me for being an idiot all while laughing at whatever stupid thing I've just said or done.

I forgot her birthday last year, rather the day passed without me realizing what day it was, so I did a quick HOLY SHIT I"M AN IDIOT make up gift. It was a little necklace with a ruby (her birthstone), and the next time I saw her she'd made sure to wear it and thanked me for it.

That's the kind of mom I have.

I do stupid shit, and she forgives me for it.

Fuck, I'm crying.

i've never gotten along so well with my mother (though now that i'm an adult, i put up with her a lot better than i did in my younger years) and my dad is awesome.

and i never realised how much they actually do care about me until all this shit went down with the state and my kids. because before then i just assumed my mother liked me because i had done my womanly duty and bred her grandchildren. actually, it's still sort of that way. cares more about my kids than me. but that's okay. like i said, we don't have the best relationhsip.

Guest Vitamin X

I get along with my mother wonderfully, and all my friends love the hell out of her. There's not a single reputable person my age that I'm cool with that she doesn't get along with unless it's my piece of shit white trash ex-girlfriend. When they had problems, that's pretty much how I knew I wasn't going to last with her.

My dad I haven't talked to since around 2003 or so. My parents got divorced when I was 16 and I was in and out of mental hospitals and psychologists and all this crap and my dad, instead of sticking by us and making things work, decided to meet some fat chick in Michigan over the internet and then he got divorced from my mom citing irreconcilable differences (one of the reasons was that she "cleaned too much"- yeah that's pretty stupid) despite the fact he'd cheated on her a couple times before with hookers. This led to my mom being left with me on my own, and then I sort of figured out the situation, got my shit together- quite temporarily anyways- and stopped with the suicide shit and just did drugs instead like a normal teenager. She had to start at some job making $10 an hour for both of us and he just took off, lived on a boat for a while, then moved to Michigan, Napa, San Diego, and then finally in some shit apartment in Glendale despite the fact that he probably makes six figures. Oh, and one of the big reasons I hate the fucker is because he negotiated for their debt to be split in half and then sends these excessively mean, berating letters to my mom when she can't pay the full amount- this despite the fact he easily makes about three times as much as she does.

The weirdest thing is I get along with my paternal grandmother wonderfully, and even she knows that relationship between him and myself is FUBAR'd. My graduating college and living fine on my own is kind of like my way of telling him fuck you, since he still sees me kind of as that teenage fuck-up. Yeah well, I don't see him being a moderator at forums.thesmartmarks.com!

Very well They've always encouraged me, and though we don't see eye to eye on a lot (parents and kids never do though) we've always been there for one another. My dad was always the funnier of the two though.

I get along with them well enough I suppose. Better than they did with each other, since they got divorced when I was 12. But there's just a fundamental lack of understanding between us, since our personalities are all so different. Dad's a Limbaugh-listening Jesus freak who devotes all his spare time to sports, Mom's a paranoid germaphobe who seems afraid of everything in the world. So basically I've learned to just avoid their push-buttons so as not to get into arguments.

mom is okay. don't talk to her as much as i'd like.

my dad forgot to call me on my birthday, which was sunday, didn't call until the next night after i was in bed. i called him back the next day, he wasn't there, i left a message. he has yet to call me back. i don't expect him to.

We've been drifting apart over the past fifteen years, especially the last five since I moved to a different town. It's the same between myself and my brother, not to mention that both parents (who come from loving families and who provided one for us) appear to be growing more distant to each other. My entire family seems to be alienating itself. Hopefully I can rectify this sorry state of affairs over the next few months. The dog my mom got to relieve the "empty nest" syndrome died of old age recently and I would have liked to have been there for her, so I've had my wake-up call.

Of course, I look at the relationship between my wife and her very very very very possessive borderline mentally ill mother and I just cringe.

I get along very well with my Mom, I have a very passive agressive relationship with my Dad because I now he's screwing around. Bonus points for any board regulars who know why that's even more fucked up than ususal.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

My parents are magnificent aging hippies. Not moonbeam granola hippies; van travelling mountain people hippies. Dad drinks bottle after bottle of red wine and falls asleep in his recliner. Mom's been a nurse for 20 years and is an amazing cook. I hated them when I was a teenager for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

hatelovehatelovehatelove

my dad was completely complacent with me until I hit 13. we got along much better after that

things haven't been the same with my mom since i got arrested when i was 15, though i still get along with her better than my dad

though i'm glad that they never tried to push anything on me as a kid... no religion, none of their... ideals. they just let me be me and accept me... or should i say tolerate... yeah, tolerate me for who i am.

Very well with both. A welcome constant. Still live in the same area so I see them a lot. Love em. I think I'd have fucked up at several key stages of my life if I'd been left to my own devices.