TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Wood Caulfield

YO! TSM raps: John Cena in 2009

What does Cena gain by continuing to go over guys he's already beaten?

What do any of the upper midcard guys (yes, including Kennedy, who in my opinion might become something if given a gimmick beyond "Mr. Announces His Own Entry................Entry" and the ability to not suffer debilitating injuries every year) gain by continuing to either be "not good enough to face Cena" or "good enough to job to Cena"?

Feed Cena's heel turn off of CM Punk. He's probably the #3 face merchandise seller (behind HHH, I'd assume, but I don't have hard numbers in front of me), and it isn't like Cena's merchandise sales are going to go to 0 the second he says something bad about the fans. Orton & Edge are top heels and they sell merchandise as well.

Cena can lose at WM and claim he's tired of living the workaholic fan-ass-kissing lifestyle when he sees guys like Edge/Big Show/HHH sleeping their way to the top and being even more successful as a result. He doesn't even have to go full-on heel, he can just go against his hustleloyaltyrespect mantra and tweener it up for a while, intentionally flipping the "kids love him, everyone else dislikes his Super Cena hulking up and childish humor" balance.

Yes business is good, Cena sells tickets, sells merchandise, is the top face, I get that. But saying "So-and-so is the top guy so we're not going to mess with the formula" is exactly what led the WWF to get passed by WCW in the early days of Nitro, and is the reason why the WWF passed nWo-laden Nitro later on. At some point you have to at least try to shake things up and see what sticks, and it's better to do that while you have the top guy to work off of rather than waiting for another movie role, or another serious injury that can't miraculously be rehabbed at a 4x rate, and hoping that the rest of the company can shore up a massive hole in the lineup for however long your top guy is out.

John Cena isn't a 42 year old WCW Main Eventer. He's still got a lot left before becoming a stepping stone for midcarders.

Last time I heard it... the top merchandise guys were

Cena

Rey

Hardys (mainly Jeff, but they include Matt here too)

Orton

Punk

Batista

HHH

HBK

MVP

and somehow the Finlay/Hornswoggle tandem came in at last... how much does an inflatable shillaleigh cost?

John Cena isn't a 42 year old WCW Main Eventer. He's still got a lot left before becoming a stepping stone for midcarders.

The fact that he went over guys like Booker T, Big Show, JBL & Jericho on his way to #1 guy didn't somehow turn them into a bunch of nobodies and certainly didn't hurt their popularity any, so I don't see why a six month jobbing heel stint to put over 2-3 guys is going to wreck him after 5 years of going over anybody & everybody to the tune of 4 World titles, 3 US titles & 2 Tag title reigns. Cena's career is unquestionably on a HoF pace and he won't turn 32 until late April; why should the WWE wait a decade to start having him put guys over?

Cena is not going to get any farther over by beating guys he's already beaten, and he's beaten everybody on his level. He's not going to start doing jobs as a megaface, so for him to put anybody over he has to turn heel, and if he turns heel that leaves the door open for faces like Punk, Kofi, MVP, and yes, even Kennedy, to go over him.

Maybe they get over, maybe they pull a Hurricane-over-Rock/Shelton-over-HHH where they go over but nobody cares, maybe Spaceman Spiff on the smart marks wrestling forum still thinks they're the drizzling shits(..............shits), but you have to give them the chance and I'd rather see them get the chance while simultaneously freshening up Cena's character and using his star power as a potential launching pad, as opposed to waiting for 12 Rounds 2 to give Cena a couple months off and hoping somebody can get themselves over in his place.

I've been out of the wrestling loop with the exception of last Monday, but I thought this "Cena isn't over" "Turn Cena heel" garbage had gone away.

Who would some of you rather have in the top face spot? CM Punk? Fuckin Evan Bourne? Compare Cena's reaction to CM Punk's reaction. They don't even compare. John Cena is the face of the company and will continue to be the face of the company for the next few years. People can hate on John Cena all they want. They can point out his supposed lack of "wrestling" ability and his marshmallow, vanilla character, but he makes the WWE money and that's all they really care about. This horse has been beaten to death, dug up, and beaten some more.

Cena brings in a SHIT LOAD of fans. I don't care if you think his only fans are prepubescent girls and little kids. He works hard, draws a crowd, and most importantly, makes a lot of money for the WWE. It's like the Lakers getting rid of Kobe because some people don't like them. I don't know if any of you have realized it, but it's pretty obvious that the WWE doesn't care about the IWC's opinion and they won't listen to you anyway.

I agree the guy's a good worker, but about CM Punk's pops vs Cena's pops...Cena gets the reaction he does because he's pushed. CM Punk is stuck in the midcard for the time being, but he still gets decent pops. I guarantee you if Punk were given a serious push and freedom on the mic, he could be a top guy on Cena's level in a few years' time.

I'm sure most people can agree that Cena draws. The problem is, so far, WWE doesn't seem to be willing to let anyone else step up. In the Attitude Era, Austin had Rock to oppose. Cena has no Rock. And don't even tell me it's Batista, he isn't anywhere near as entertaining, he's horrible on the mic, and he's lazy and stale.

I think the problem people have with Cena is there's no one else to step up. The company cannot be carried on the same faces in the main event PPV after PPV, expecting fans to shill out 40 bucks for rematches. I've been watching 1997 lately and they had a pretty fresh main event scene. The WWE wasn't afraid to give different people title opportunities, even if they didn't win. The WWE wasn't afraid to change the title holder and shuffle people in and out of the main event scene. They just need to keep things moving.

The Hogan format can't last forever, or the fans will turn on Cena again. WWE needs to be mindful of their fans, and start grooming guys like Morrison, CM Punk, MVP, etc. for the future. Because Cena's time won't always be now, and one day or another, he might suffer another unexpected injury...

If/when Cena turns heel, it's going to (rightfully) be a *BIG* deal, and they'd be best served having him go on a big run as champ while building up a face to finally take him down. You don't turn him heel to just have him job for a year to undercard guys.

I agree the guy's a good worker, but about CM Punk's pops vs Cena's pops...Cena gets the reaction he does because he's pushed. CM Punk is stuck in the midcard for the time being, but he still gets decent pops. I guarantee you if Punk were given a serious push and freedom on the mic, he could be a top guy on Cena's level in a few years' time.

The cheers didn't expand for CM Punk after he beat Edge when he cashed in MITB. The initial pop was probably the shock factor, but after that he wasn't lighting the world on fire. of course we can blame such things as a shitty feud with JBL and what looked like an Orton feud, but I don't know if he would come close to the type of reaction Cena gets if he was to get a Cena-like push.

Didn't see it posted anywhere, but it looks as if the Cena/Rock issues that came up last year have resurfaced:

During last night's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live, John Cena said he has a problem with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson because of the way he left pro wrestling. Johnson has stated that he loved the business but did not intend on returning when he became a movie star, and Cena said how that has affected wrestling fans when he is gone to film movies.

"He's obviously got his start in the WWE, gone onto movies, but in the process, the whole time while he was in the WWE, he just preached to our fans -- who are very loyal -- how much he loved the business," Cena said of Johnson. "He says he loves the business so much, but then just up and leaves. So here I am, I've done The Marine, I'm still working full-time for the WWE, I've got 12 Rounds coming out and everybody's asking, 'When are you leaving?'"

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/1499.html

I wonder if Cena realizes that if him and the Rock were in the ring together for anything... Cena would be booed out of the building.

During last night's appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live, John Cena said he has a problem with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson because of the way he left pro wrestling. Johnson has stated that he loved the business but did not intend on returning when he became a movie star, and Cena said how that has affected wrestling fans when he is gone to film movies.

"He's obviously got his start in the WWE, gone onto movies, but in the process, the whole time while he was in the WWE, he just preached to our fans -- who are very loyal -- how much he loved the business," Cena said of Johnson. "He says he loves the business so much, but then just up and leaves. So here I am, I've done The Marine, I'm still working full-time for the WWE, I've got 12 Rounds coming out and everybody's asking, 'When are you leaving?'"

As opposed to when The Rock did movies, and everybody asked him when he was coming back.

I love Cena and all, but he needs to shut up. I know he's just parroting the company line, but he comes off like an idiot

Plus, a prominent WWE employee publicly criticizing The Rock certainly doesn't endear him to the company, especially with their relationship being lukewarm at best nowadays. WWE and Vince should be continually kissing his ass if they ever hope to have him come back for "one last match" and also so he doesn't bury the business since at this point he is the most famous WWE alum, along with Hogan.

I don't think Dwayne has put WWE in the past. Why should he be associated with them anymore? Wrestling is such a scummy business and he's trying to make it as a leading man. I wouldn't come back if I were him.

Cena has a point (assuming he's being genuine), but Johnson has stated time and again that he's done with wrestling. He's pretty much been gone for several years now. Maybe if WWE had any established stars somewhat on par with Rock or Austin, they wouldn't have to constantly talk about them or try to get them involved in stuff like the Hall of Fame.

Didn't see it posted anywhere, but it looks as if the Cena/Rock issues that came up last year have resurfaced:

I wonder if Cena realizes that if him and the Rock were in the ring together for anything... Cena would be booed out of the building.

What a clown. When he accomplishes one tenth of what The Rock did then he can talk. Dude cant even get over as a face. If it wasnt for the 13 yr and younger fan base he would be a mid - carder.

So Rock gets at least $5M per movie, does 2-3 movies a year (making at least $15M) and spends the rest of the time doing what he damn well pleased, or he should wrestle over 200 dates a year, be on the road for almost 300 to pull in a couple million dollars.

It's not just the company line with Cena, he believes the stuff he is saying. Wrestling is his life. BFD he did The Marine and now 12 Rounds, they both look like they sucked.

As for MVP, I'd like to see him use the roaring elbow as his finisher.

Yeah, everything about Cena and why they like him is that he really has no outside life besides his fiancee. Though it is weird he tried to become a voice actor before seriously getting into wrestling. With all that said... I see him burning out 5 or 6 years down the line and either taking a long break, or going into "retirement" and doing a couple of angles a year.

So Rock gets at least $5M per movie, does 2-3 movies a year (making at least $15M) and spends the rest of the time doing what he damn well pleased, or he should wrestle over 200 dates a year, be on the road for almost 300 to pull in a couple million dollars.

It's not just the company line with Cena, he believes the stuff he is saying. Wrestling is his life. BFD he did The Marine and now 12 Rounds, they both look like they sucked.

As for MVP, I'd like to see him use the roaring elbow as his finisher.

Imdb.com has The Rock listed as making 15 million for Walking Tall and 12.5 million for The Rundown. Both movies came out 5-6 years ago. If John Cena were able to make at least 10 million a picture and do 2 movies a year, he would be retired after WrestleMania. You cant blame The Rock for not wanting to turn into a cripple like Austin, Hogan, etc.

As opposed to when The Rock did movies, and everybody asked him when he was coming back.

<cliche>Boom! Roasted.</cliche>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuXHupKn4s

Trish Stratus and her original look...

fap fap fap

Yeah.

I think Cena's point is more along the lines of, Rock won't come back to do one match a year, or even appear a few times a year on the live tv. He's not filming that many movies where it'd be impossible. The fact is he has distanced himself from the wrestling business for the most part, and is probably wise in doing so since he seems to want to become as serious of an actor as possible. So I can see it from both ends of the spectrum. Personally I think both guys are doing great for themselves, and it seems like interviewers just bring it up for the controversy to make for interesting tv or print.

BTW, The Marine was a helluva fun action movie, as was the Condemned. I know they are popular around Michigan at least from what I've heard from a few different people.

What a clown. When he accomplishes one tenth of what The Rock did then he can talk. Dude cant even get over as a face. If it wasnt for the 13 yr and younger fan base he would be a mid - carder.

Like posting record breaking merchandise sales (second only to Hogan, apparently), have a single WWE title run that's longer than all 7 of The Rock's combined, or managing to be just as good as The Rock (if not better) when it comes to the WWE main event style? Kayfabe or not, Cena has actually accomplished quite a lot, especially for the downturn wrestling took this decade.

You're pissing in the wind here. goldengreek is an anti-Cena fanatic and a complete moron to boot. It's best just to ignore him until he is banned later this month.

I sorta agree with Cena's problem with The Rock. The Rock doesn't need to come back and do "one more match" or anything like that, but why can't he show up on Raw everyone once in a while? If he wants to use his name value to promote "Race to Witch Mountain" to wrestling fans watching Raw, why not show up on Raw instead of just doing USA-made bumpers telling us to watch the trailer after Raw. He doesn't have to wrestle at all to show he still loves the wrestling business, but pretending it doesn't exist isn't a good way of showing that he still cares. It's like wrestling is some nerdy, unpopular girl that he claims to love when they're together in private, but ignores and denies knowing when he's with his popular friends.

And maybe I'm off base here, but isn't the only The Rock really has over Cena is the fact that he was really popular during wrestling's hottest period in history?

But why can't he show up on Raw everyone once in a while?

He's not a wrestler anymore. Wrestling's his past, he's not involved in the business. WWE is the one who let his contract expire. He's trying to gain mainstream acceptance and establish himself as a leading man in Hollywood. Showing up in an arena that the mainstream media views with disgust doesn't help those matters. He's Dwayne Johnson now, no more The Rock.

If he wants to use his name value to promote "Race to Witch Mountain" to wrestling fans watching Raw, why not show up on Raw instead of just doing USA-made bumpers telling us to watch the trailer after Raw.

He called himself Dwane Johnson during those bumpers too.

He doesn't have to wrestle at all to show he still loves the wrestling business, but pretending it doesn't exist isn't a good way of showing that he still cares. It's like wrestling is some nerdy, unpopular girl that he claims to love when they're together in private, but ignores and denies knowing when he's with his popular friends.

Can you blame him though? With the Chris Benoit murder-suicide and wrestling's insane death rate, it's not something you'd really want to be associated with.