TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

Modern day scripting of wrestling vs. the old days of doing promos

1st draft of Raw script for 3/2/09.

There are a few things that ended up not happening, which might happen at a later date (involving JBL), so this may actually contain spoilers for future happenings. The last 2 pages list the talent roster as of 2/26/09, broken out over the brands & FCW.

Ballyhoo & physicality!

(Note - if LOP has to take down the images, I've saved them on my photobucket account for reposting)

1st draft of Raw script for 3/2/09.

There are a few things that ended up not happening, which might happen at a later date (involving JBL), so this may actually contain spoilers for future happenings. The last 2 pages list the talent roster as of 2/26/09, broken out over the brands & FCW.

Ballyhoo & physicality!

(Note - if LOP has to take down the images, I've saved them on my photobucket account for reposting)

JBL vs. Rey Mysterio for the IC Title at Wrestlemania?

That RAW script was pretty cool. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the talent show seems to be broken up by spot on the card too, which although nothing quite shocking (unless you consider the confirmation Tyson Kidd is a heel), I found interesting. I wonder if someone will be posting this in the future like the 1992 one in General Discussion and have comments about people's placement.

I enjoyed reading that. The order in which the talent is listed shows their priority over others on the roster, interesting idea. I love the repetition of the longest episodic weekly television show in history as a header. That sealed it for me. But Christ, every detail is noted, right down to what the commentators say.

Did anybody else notice how DJ Gabriel and Tyson Kidd were listed as RAW developmental talents on the last page? I'm assuming that's either a mistake or they're coming to RAW soon.

EDIT- Kidman and Norman Smiley are trainers in FCW? That's somehow awesome.

For some reason I thought the promos weren't scripted line for line...I guess I thought they would have a general theme of the promo and maybe a line or two, and then let the worker come up with the details. Does that actually happen as part of the scriptwriting process, or do the writers basically decide every line?

Its odd its line for line, but it explains some workers robotic approach and makes you appreciate Chris Jericho a little bit more.

One thing that stood out to though was the lack of detail that some of the backstage stuff had. HBK didn't have word for word but instead had more like bullet points to hit while Edge had a quote that he had to hit.

They even include pauses for crowd reactions (***); nice touch.

Script doesn't have the match finishes on it. Interesting. Where would they list that if not on the script?

They even include pauses for crowd reactions (***); nice touch.

Script doesn't have the match finishes on it. Interesting. Where would they list that if not on the script?

Every match has a producer listed. That person probably goes over the spots and finish face-to-face.

For some reason I thought the promos weren't scripted line for line...I guess I thought they would have a general theme of the promo and maybe a line or two, and then let the worker come up with the details. Does that actually happen as part of the scriptwriting process, or do the writers basically decide every line?

Workers coming up with their own stuff used to happen. The process of the writers scripting out things word for word has now taken over. Some workers, Jericho and Michaels, for instance, have far more leeway in scripting their promos than others.

The major/critical problem about totally scripting a promo or even a match (This was discussed when the TNA script was leaked and the matches were written out, move for move) is that it doesn't allow for the talent to improvise if the crowd doesn't react positively. If the audience starts to crap on a segment and the worker can't improv his way out of it, he'll either panic or continue to give a promo/segment that is already bombing.

That's why no one under 40 can cut a money promo.

I hate that this is what booking a wrestling show has become. Fucking Hollywood.

What are you referring to specifically?

My guess is scripting things out word for word. Where as any television show needs a script/format sheet for production purposes, scripting out promos and such on a wrestling show has not been for the best. It's fine to layout what a promo needs to talk about, but writing out line for line, word for word is too much.

I mean look at it this way:

The "Austin 3:16" line was not scripted or thought of in a booking meeting. As a result, Austin's good interview skills allowed him to come up with a line that turned him white hot.

I hate that this is what booking a wrestling show has become. Fucking Hollywood.

My guess is scripting things out word for word. Where as any television show needs a script/format sheet for production purposes, scripting out promos and such on a wrestling show has not been for the best. It's fine to layout what a promo needs to talk about, but writing out line for line, word for word is too much.

The "Austin 3:16" line was not scripted or thought of in a booking meeting. As a result, Austin's good interview skills allowed him to come up with a line that turned him white hot.

How tightly scripted are the promos and by whom are they scripted? It wouldn't shock me if the script exists solely for production purposes and wrestlers aren't expected to stick TIGHTLY to the script but are instead given some creative freedom. I mean, think about it, in-ring promos are in front of a live audience and wrestlers do often make comments towards the audience based on their reaction. It also wouldn't shock me if some talent had input into what their characters are given to say. I just don't think that pro wrestlers are expected to know the script verbatim, it probably just exists to give the production staff an idea of what's going on.

In the example of Jake Roberts, I'm sure that he'd have some influence and would probably be able to determine what the script says for his character.

When was the last time a memorable promo was scripted? The best promos are the ones created by the wrestlers themselves.

The promos from the script were pretty much repeated word-for-word on the show. It'd be interesting to know if Jericho (or anyone else) scripted his own promo.

It'd be a safe bet to say that Triple H probably had influence in how his promo went down. On the others, it wouldn't surprise if some other guys had influence in the scripting of their promos.

I was actually surprised (somewhat) to see promos scripted so tightly. I didn't catch RAW on Monday so I didn't get to see how closely the script was followed.

To DrVenkman: Ballyhoo is on the first page of the actual script portion of the packet.

Jake Roberts would have laughed his ass off if some Hollywood writer handed him a scripted promo.

He says this happened with NBC in 1986, he laughed at the guy, and told him what he wanted to do and he won

Jake Roberts would have laughed his ass off if some Hollywood writer handed him a scripted promo.

He says this happened with NBC in 1986, he laughed at the guy, and told him what he wanted to do and he won

Wonder what Jake did when he appeared on RAW a couple of years ago.

I get the impressions the Legends just do their thing when they show up. I highly doubt Piper's promo was written for him by Brian Gewirtz or whomever would be the one to do that. Jericho gave Piper some direction though.

^ This.. and that wrestling has become a sitcom, essentially. I hate that Vince feels he needs "writers" and all of that crap. It's too Hollywood, IMO. I mean, c'mon: producers? They're fucking Road Agents!