TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

Modern day scripting of wrestling vs. the old days of doing promos

I believe it was Dick Ebersol he mouthed off to, as the story goes.

That's awesome.

The story also comes from Jake, so...

Jake also no sold Muhammed Ali punches in 1985 in the Superdome, so Jake had some nuts

I believe it was Dick Ebersol he mouthed off to, as the story goes.

That's awesome.

The story also comes from Jake, so...

Jake also no sold Muhammed Ali punches in 1985 in the Superdome, so Jake had some nuts

And/or he was on some real good drugs at the time.

I hate that this is what booking a wrestling show has become. Fucking Hollywood.

What are you referring to specifically?

My guess is scripting things out word for word. Where as any television show needs a script/format sheet for production purposes, scripting out promos and such on a wrestling show has not been for the best. It's fine to layout what a promo needs to talk about, but writing out line for line, word for word is too much.

I mean look at it this way:

The "Austin 3:16" line was not scripted or thought of in a booking meeting. As a result, Austin's good interview skills allowed him to come up with a line that turned him white hot.

^ This.. and that wrestling has become a sitcom, essentially. I hate that Vince feels he needs "writers" and all of that crap. It's too Hollywood, IMO. I mean, c'mon: producers? They're fucking Road Agents!

Honestly, a script is needed when you consider how many people are involved in the production of an episode of RAW. We have to remember that wrestling is a very different animal than it was even 20 years ago. It's now on prime time television so Vince has certain standards that he has to meet so it's totally understandable that he'd have a detailed script. When you have a prime time show, it's important that you have everyone on the same page and as much as we may hate it, a script does a good job of doing that.

Honestly, a script is needed when you consider how many people are involved in the production of an episode of RAW. We have to remember that wrestling is a very different animal than it was even 20 years ago. It's now on prime time television so Vince has certain standards that he has to meet so it's totally understandable that he'd have a detailed script. When you have a prime time show, it's important that you have everyone on the same page and as much as we may hate it, a script does a good job of doing that.

That is very true. It is also something that WCW was not very good at doing, and it always showed.

How tightly scripted are the promos and by whom are they scripted? It wouldn't shock me if the script exists solely for production purposes and wrestlers aren't expected to stick TIGHTLY to the script but are instead given some creative freedom. I mean, think about it, in-ring promos are in front of a live audience and wrestlers do often make comments towards the audience based on their reaction. It also wouldn't shock me if some talent had input into what their characters are given to say. I just don't think that pro wrestlers are expected to know the script verbatim, it probably just exists to give the production staff an idea of what's going on.

In the example of Jake Roberts, I'm sure that he'd have some influence and would probably be able to determine what the script says for his character.

They're very tightly scripted and done so by the writers. And with few exceptions (to guys) the wrestlers are expected to stick to the script and know it verbatim. It's also the same select few who have input into their promos.

And while a script might be needed in terms of formatting the show and making sure things are done within a specific timeframe, scripting promos really takes the life out of them. The best promos come from the heart of a wrestler not the pen of a writer. It's hard to really feel a promo, and thus put some life into it, if you're having to spend most of your time memorizing the thing.

And while a script might be needed in terms of formatting the show and making sure things are done within a specific timeframe, scripting promos really takes the life out of them. The best promos come from the heart of a wrestler not the pen of a writer. It's hard to really feel a promo, and thus put some life into it, if you're having to spend most of your time memorizing the thing.

You know, I don't buy this argument. Actors seem to put their hearts into completely scripted lines, without any improv or whatever. People can still do a great job with lines that were originally written hundreds of years ago, in a live atmosphere.

Maybe they could help workers adjust to scripted promos by putting them through acting classes or something.

You know, I don't buy this argument. Actors seem to put their hearts into completely scripted lines, without any improv or whatever. People can still do a great job with lines that were originally written hundreds of years ago, in a live atmosphere.

Maybe they could help workers adjust to scripted promos by putting them through acting classes or something.

Wrestlers aren't actors and while you could train them to get 'adjusted' to scripted promos, they'd still be non-actors trying to read from a script.

I think that's also the big reason why their is such a lack of distinct personalities in the top leagues. You got the same group of people writing every promo, rather than CM Punk using his brain, heart, and personality to get over the fact that he needs to build a match with so and so for the next ppv. I said it in another thread, if they want to run a tv show, then go with it all the way. Film the matches and a few promos in the ring to keep the live atmosphere for the crowd, but tape ahead of time and post-produce it big time to make your tv show. Atleast then you can film multiple takes with the wrestlers backstage to get the corny scripts just right.

I think that's also the big reason why their is such a lack of distinct personalities in the top leagues. You got the same group of people writing every promo, rather than CM Punk using his brain, heart, and personality to get over the fact that he needs to build a match with so and so for the next ppv. I said it in another thread, if they want to run a tv show, then go with it all the way. Film the matches and a few promos in the ring to keep the live atmosphere for the crowd, but tape ahead of time and post-produce it big time to make your tv show. Atleast then you can film multiple takes with the wrestlers backstage to get the corny scripts just right.

Exactly. When you think about it, most shows have what 4-5 main characters to write for. The wwe has 80+ on screen personalities to worry about...

If the scripts are bad (and most times they are), no amount of acting can save that. It's not coincidental that the guys with the most say in their scripts (Jericho, HHH, HBK in the script) are the ones cutting the best promos.

Then again, what can be done about it? It's a lot easier to replace a wrestler in the biggest wrestling company he can perform in than it is to replace a writer who's dropped about as far as a writer can drop while still earning a regular paycheck.

If things were done the way they are today, in the '80's, I would love to meet the person scripting Ultimate Warrior's promos. I like to think that Mr. Hellwig came up with some of that brilliance on his own.

If things were done the way they are today, in the '80's, I would love to meet the person scripting Ultimate Warrior's promos. I like to think that Mr. Hellwig came up with some of that brilliance on his own.

Would there even be lines such as "reaching for the heavens", "destrucity", and "seeking the powers of the warriors" on that script?

I love this clip

Would there even be lines such as "reaching for the heavens", "destrucity", and "seeking the powers of the warriors" on that script?

You should watch the latest Dirt Sheet.

Huh, Slaughter is still listed as an Ambassador.

Christ. Even the writers misspell "Haas"

Nah, they spelled it right. It's Haas.

They got it right in the roster, but it's listed as "Hass" in a story note about Kozlov.

Pretty disheartening that Edge's "I totally mapquested it!" line was scripted.

Why? Because the IWC is so used to shitting on the writers that the one time they actually write something funny, we need to totally shit on that, too? Come on, dude. Can't you just say "kudos to the writing team for actually coming up with something funny that wasn't improved by one of the most awesomest wrestlers"? Sometimes I think writing teams get too much criticism, in WWE and TNA. It's not like we are personally sitting in there during meetings. There's a ton of shit that goes into writing a script that 90% of us have no clue about.

Pretty disheartening that Edge's "I totally mapquested it!" line was scripted.

Why? Because the IWC is so used to shitting on the writers that the one time they actually write something funny, we need to totally shit on that, too? Come on, dude. Can't you just say "kudos to the writing team for actually coming up with something funny that wasn't improved by one of the most awesomest wrestlers"? Sometimes I think writing teams get too much criticism, in WWE and TNA. It's not like we are personally sitting in there during meetings. There's a ton of shit that goes into writing a script that 90% of us have no clue about.

I guess what he's trying to say is that the wrestlers don't even get to come up with their own humor, and he didn't actually improvise anything. It IS kind of sad, that, if Edge truly didn't give them that line or anything, that the wrestlers are scripted to that extent.

The promos from the script were pretty much repeated word-for-word on the show. It'd be interesting to know if Jericho (or anyone else) scripted his own promo.

Jericho did not stay very true to the script. Listen to this as you read the script. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbAzCAsdkag It's far from word for word. Who knows is that's just because it was the first draft or if Jericho simply uses the script as bullet points.

What some people fail to realise is the need to script all segments and matches to fit the time slot of the show and the storyline of the product. If you were to look at several scripts for different shows you would see that some guys follow them down to the last word, some use them as bullet points for a pretty much ad libbed promo, some follow most of the script but change a few things here and there to fit their character, some disregard the script entirely and cut their own promo with the same basic point and some Halls and Nashes get sauced and bury you in a way that is more comical and entertaining than a script could ever be.

As for Edge, it was a good promo, the mapquest line was funny whether it was written for him or not and I'm sure if he had something funnier to add to it he would have. Fact is, the people who write these segments know what they are doing and it is the wrestler's job to put over the angles booked for them, not the other way round. Of course wrestlers are "Scripted to that extent". Its the whole point!

They are getting sloppy making things like this get online.

I agree with others that the promos are too scripted. Austin and Nash were complaining about that. Coming from two guys who were a big part in the resurrection of pro wrestling should know a thing or two since they had some of the better promos.

Also, I need help getting my old handle back mods