TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Moments So Contrived

Anyone else remember the ending table spot for the Edge/Undertaker TLC match? The table stack got messed up and Edge had to take time to set them up again while the Undertaker recovered on the floor. Of course if Undertaker was that hurt on the floor, why didn't Edge just climb the damn ladder?

Similarly, in the Edge/Cena TLC match, Edge had stacked two tables in the ring several minutes before the finish. Cena gave Edge a standard FU, but the top table fell off upon the FU's impact, so Cena had to restack the tables for no particular reason, then climb the ladder. From there, Edge followed and was eventually FU'd through the stack.

Also, re: INDY APPLAUSE STANCE~!

It works in certain matches, like where it's put over that it's just an exhibition, or if the two actually respect each other, or even if it's a case of "who's the better mat wrestler." Otherwise? I don't get it.

-Whenever somebody shows up not scheduled for a match wearing their tights/ring attire. Cena coming back wearing kneepads and his sweatbands is one, but mostly when somebody has a t-shirt tucked into their tights or something...when they're just out there to TALK. Then they get challenged to a match later in the night, or some authority figure books them as a surprise, whatever. I do remember somebody doing that in street clothes and then wrestling in street clothes once or twice, but they usually come out to promo in their gear.

-Whenever somebody shows up not scheduled for a match wearing their tights/ring attire. Cena coming back wearing kneepads and his sweatbands is one, but mostly when somebody has a t-shirt tucked into their tights or something...when they're just out there to TALK. Then they get challenged to a match later in the night, or some authority figure books them as a surprise, whatever. I do remember somebody doing that in street clothes and then wrestling in street clothes once or twice, but they usually come out to promo in their gear.

Maybe they figure they could be booked in a match at any moment so it's best to be prepared. After all, how many times has an authority figure said, "You have a match NOW?"

Maybe they figure they could be booked in a match at any moment so it's best to be prepared. After all, how many times has an authority figure said, "You have a match NOW?"

Or they just see it as wearing a uniform of sorts.

I cannot remember ever seeing that again since. The Million Dollar Dream counter, I mean.

I can only remember The Rock doing it at WrestleMania 17.

Angle did it too.

First time I remember that counter being used was Piper having Bret Hart in the Sleeper.

One I saw when I was refereeing at an indy show: "Notorious" Shane Taylor was supposed to climb up to the middle rope like he was going for a Vader bomb, only for some other guy whose name escapes me to power bomb off. Well, the other guy took about five years to get up for the spot (and I can't even say he was selling all that well), so Taylor's saying things like "I'm going up" or "I'm going to squash him" to try to kill time.

Which immediately brings to mind "HURRY UP JEFF GODDAMMIT" at Survivor Series 2002.

It does become more obvious when it is clear they are wearing protective devices, like Austin's knee braces would be on underneath his jeans or something.

it.

The most humorous take on this is when Austin Aries challenged Ricky Reyes to a fight and pulled off his clothes revealing his tights and his....ELBOW PADS?!

-Renegade's initial push in WCW circa 1995.

-WCW announcers trying to sell the fact that Hogan pushed The Giant off the arena roof to his death at Halloween Havoc '95.(Notice a pattern here?)

Speaking of wearing tights at inappropriate times, Chris Benoit seemed to be a big abuser of this one. I remember when he showed up on RAW right when his big push started after his Royal Rumble win, he was wearing full ring gear. And no shirt, either. I thought that was kind of weird. Kind of creepy in retrospect.

How about when a babyface is getting beat up, and it takes like ten minutes for anyone to come to his/her rescue? That always seems kind of silly. I remember a lot of people noted how bad that was when Hornswaggle got destroyed by JBL in that cage match on an episode of RAW. At least they usually get it right with heel stables, where the Horsemen would always be right out to save Flair, or Legacy seems to be somewhat on the ball when it comes to saving Randy Orton.

i miss when blade jobs weren't so blatantly obvious. i dunno if this counts here but i had to get it off my chest.

Anytime they do that original ref gets knocked out, replacement ref comes down, original ref comes to, original ref counts one wrestler's shoulders down while replacement ref counts the other's. They then argue about who won the match while they take turns raising the hand of the wrestler they thought won.

Kudos for their effort, but a lot of the Ultimate X spots last night look terribly contrived, with guys clearly waiting around to act as crash for the next big spot. I hate that about UX matches, and bouts with certain spot monkeys and the like, where the guys don't even try to hide the fact that they're standing around and waiting to catch someone on the next big spot.

Watching WrestleMania XII and I just gotta add this one:

- Using the O.J. Simpson car chase footage for Piper vs. Goldust...Come on!

When Flair had Vince Russo in the figure four, but since him tapping wasn't supposed to be the finish VINCE FUCKING RUSSO is in the figure four for what seems like years without tapping out. An admitted NON wrestler basically no selling a submission hold built up for Flair for like two decades.

Speaking of wearing tights at inappropriate times, Chris Benoit seemed to be a big abuser of this one. I remember when he showed up on RAW right when his big push started after his Royal Rumble win, he was wearing full ring gear. And no shirt, either. I thought that was kind of weird. Kind of creepy in retrospect.

hehe yeah i kinda hate that, i feel like i'm playing No Mercy or some other game because they always use their ring attire for all the cut scenes.

I feel a little badly using DLo as my first example out of possibly hundreds that apply. To rectify this (especially on the grounds of 'product promotion' as an example), DLo hitting someone with a phone backstage and screaming "Save a bundle by using 1-800-Collect, fool!" was all kinds of awesome.

Whenever UT does Old School.

Koslov proved that he wasn't stupid as the rest by catching him with a powerslam.

It's too bad no one else thinks to counter it, or not to do the 10 punches to UT in the corner.

Late last year when they were doing the "Beat The Clock" challenge on SD to determine a no. 1 contender to The WWE Title; Jeff Hardy and Triple H ending up with the exact same time. I'm sure this didn't bother some, but I found this really contrived.

Whenever UT does Old School.

Koslov proved that he wasn't stupid as the rest by catching him with a powerslam.

It's too bad no one else thinks to counter it, or not to do the 10 punches to UT in the corner.

I generally don't mind Old School much, but it's horrible when he does it in the Rumble match. I think he did it in both 2007 and 2008, if not more.

Now that I think about it, I've always felt that the whole concept, formation, and execution of Evolution was contrived. It just didn't seem natural at all, and was obviously "HHH trying to have 4 Horsemen glory."

I don't know...I remembered thinking Triple H and Flair being paired made a lot of sense. I don't really recall how Orton and Batista were recruited, though.

Whatever happened to that stable Orton was supposed to lead a few years back? I remember Maven, Lance (Garrison) Cade, and someone else were supposed to be involved.

Batista kinda came as a package deal with Flair in Evolution because Flair was Batista's manager. I don't remember how Orton became a member. I think he was just there to be the "Tully" of the group because he's young and cocky or something.

-Renegade's initial push in WCW circa 1995.

-WCW announcers trying to sell the fact that Hogan pushed The Giant off the arena roof to his death at Halloween Havoc '95.(Notice a pattern here?)

And The Giant as Andre's son... along with the shirt and crucifix nonsense.

Batista kinda came as a package deal with Flair in Evolution because Flair was Batista's manager. I don't remember how Orton became a member. I think he was just there to be the "Tully" of the group because he's young and cocky or something.

Orton and Batista came out to help HHH beat up Scott Steiner the night after Royal Rumble 'O3. The next week HHH announced the formation of Evolution. Batista was being managed by Flair, so it made sense like you said.. Orton was coming back from injury and the whole RNN updates which kinda turned him heel during his rehab,so this was his official heel turn . Not much connection there, but in kayfabe HHH saw Orton as a rising young star and wanted to be associated with him as he made his ascension, I guess.