TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Now "Karc," uh, that shit about the Lakers not beating a good team on the road for the rest of the year...maybe you should shut that shit up for a while and watch them beat those good teams like they did tonight.

I'm just defensive against stupid, rash statements. Shit like "the Celtics couldn't beat the Bobcats in a seven game series" would have me saying something similar.

Guest Czech please!

Man, Karc is gonna get a whoopin'. This is like that scene in Airplane! where everyone is lining up to beat the hysterical woman.

Rose went 2-12 tonight. Ouch.

Why practice to play the Orlando Magic when you could go bowling? I swear, with Scott Skiles or any real coach on this team, Rose and Gordon would have this team in 5th place. Vinny must have cost this team six wins AT LEAST. It's imperative that he is fired.

Guest Czech please!
Vinny Del Negro canceled practice Tuesday and took his team bowling

Guest Vitamin X

Portland can't beat Dallas to save their life. I have no idea why we can beat every single other good team in the league, but not the fucking Mavericks.

Well, Portland hasn't beaten Cleveland yet either, but that was only one game. Still, it's mind boggling.

Dallas has been ballin lately, winning their last 3.

More and more it looks like Phoenix isn't going to make the playoffs. Good, fuck them. Terry Porter was a fine coach, he just won't take their non-defensive playing bullshit. They deserve to fail IMO.

Barkley was breaking out the "rolling over in his grave" line for the Suns tonight. Who thought we'd hear that this season?

If they lose tonight, they're 6 games back of Dallas for the 8 spot, and Dallas owns the tiebreaker.

Fuck it, Karc get yo ass in this thread now.

Oh yeah, the Lakers barely beat the Spurs without Manu AND after blowing an 18-point lead. They let Old Man Finley score 25 on them. This shows me what exactly? That they can still blow leads and survive a team that isn't healthy.

And as for Houston, they are a far better team without T-Mac, because they can actually play defense and not have Knee-Mac jacking up bad shots all night. But 5-28 for threes? 23 turnovers? Then Artest shows that he really is a moron and provokes Kobe Bryant, who properly put him in his place by sinking a three late after Artest bricked six. Houston could have easily won that game, and their own stupidity cost them. Either of these team can beat the Lakers without a problem if they actually use their heads. You'd think Adelman would have learned his lesson by now.

So no, these games showed me nothing to indicate that the Lakers can get out of the first round.

Wow, just wow.....

Who is going to beat the Lakers in the first round, Karc? Please enlighten me with your deep knowledge of the NBA.

All that matters this season is 3-0 against Houston and 2-1 against the Spurs. The Lakers have blown out both teams this season, so your "teams need to use their heads to beat the Lakers" looks pretty stupid. Also, I didn't how teams playing in March dictated how they played in June.

Wow, just wow.....

Who is going to beat the Lakers in the first round, Karc? Please enlighten me with your deep knowledge of the NBA.

All that matters this season is 3-0 against Houston and 2-1 against the Spurs. The Lakers have blown out both teams this season, so your "teams need to use their heads to beat the Lakers" looks pretty stupid. Also, I didn't how teams playing in March dictated how they played in June.

The Spurs beat the Lakers at their own game in Jan, putting up more than 100 points and getting the foul call on the Fisher bump that they should have gotten last year in the playoffs. The only blowout for them was in LA, and that was because the Spurs big three threw in the towel and did not play in the fourth quarter. They will not do that in a playoff game. As for Houston, the only blowout was back at the start of the season, when McStreaky went 1 for freaking 11. It's not a surprise they got pounced. Like I said before, the Rockets are WAY better without T-Mac. The Lakers barely won the second meeting, and they should have lost this game.

The regular season is mostly useless, except to indicate trends that could easily carry over to the playoffs. The Lakers give up a ton of threes, it's just that teams do not hit a high percentage of them. They let every team score over 100 points, which burned them last year because they lost nearly every playoff game where they allowed that to happen. ANY of the other eight teams in the West can easily bump them off in a first-round matchup, but the likely candidates will either be Portland, Dallas, or Phoenix (though they likely won't get in).

I hate the Lakers and want to see them fail miserably, but even I find it hard to argue that they aren't the easy favorites to win the West. It just seems like you are trying to cause trouble, Karc.

I love how you give credit to the Spurs for beating the Lakers at their own game, but can't give credit where it's due. Same with the Rockets. Hate to it break to you, but last years playoffs don't matter at this point when it comes to 2009 season. The Lakers do give up a lot of threes, and it's true that most NBA teams do not shot a good percentage. But earlier you said the the regular season is meaningless, so wouldn't that mean that teams would continue to shot poorly from 3 in the playoffs, making it, by your logic, a wash anyway.

The Lakers are 15-5 against the WC playoff field at this point. With the the only home loss, mind you, coming from the Hornets. Which flies in the face of your ANY of the eight teams can beat the Lakers in a seven game series. If teams can't beat the Lakers at Staples Center, how can they win without home court? Like you implied, trends can carry over to the playoffs so why wouldn't this trend carry over?

With Andrew Bynum coming back in a couple weeks, and in a league thats predicated by matchups, the only team that matches up well with the full Lakers squad is Utah. I don't expect everyone to like to Lakers, but you can at least give credit where credit is due. They have, after all, the best record in the NBA!

Guest Vitamin X

Utah's a tough match-up, but don't discount the Blazers yet. Provided the Lakers don't pull any more fucking dirty plays like Ariza did, Portland did a great job in exposing the Lakers' flaws last game. Batum and Roy did a great job of rotating on Kobe, Aldridge can defend and definitely work on Pau Gasol, and a combination of Przybilla and Oden can neutralize Bynum and/or help on Gasol. The benches are both pretty solid, too. Utah's the other team that has a good matchup, but so does Denver with Billups, Boozer, Okur, AK-47 and Williams... although I think the Lakers' size will give them the advantage there.

Bill Davidson has passed away at 85 (or 86, different outlets are saying different ages). Hell of an owner for many years...R.I.P. Mr. D.

Guest Czech please!

That's disappointing. He did a lot of good work. One of the better owners in the league, if you ask me, which you didn't.

Yeesh, I thought I was going to have a worthwhile discussion with a basketball fan, instead, it's just another bandwagon jumper from a city nowhere near Los Angeles.

I gave the Lakers credit. Do NOT piss off Kobe Byrant. Rockets had that game won until Artest opened his mouth and got brave. After which he was immediately humbled.

And I was asked to name first-round teams that could beat the Lakers. New Orleans and Utah would clearly be second round teams at this point. And New Orleans can beat the Lakers in L.A.

And last year's playoffs do mean something, since the Lakers are pretty much coming back with the exact same team. Powell is an upgrade over Turiaf, and they dumped the dead weight and have a healthy Ariza, but it's more or less the same. The Spurs play the same style every year with the same core, and they keep winning.

BTW, the Ariza foul was not dirty, IMO. Ariza was clearly going for the ball. A flagrant 2 has to involve follow through. Give him a flagrant 1 because it looked bad, but to throw him out for that shit was terrible. I thought Fernandez should have been T-ed up for flopping in midair and nearly killing himself to get Ariza thrown out, because it worked. How come the same foul was not called on "King" James when he owned Richardson? That was clearly a foul.

What's with all these teams blowing huge leads to the Cavs? Kings are the latest team to do so.

And damn I hate LeBron, but he pretty much smacked down any talk of Wade winning MVP with his performance the last few games.

I still live in LA County, about 30 minutes from the Staples Center, Karc. And I was born and raised in Los Angeles anyways. No need to be an ass , man. I got no beef with you, I like the debate we got going. No bandwagoner here.

We'll agree to disagree, I guess. You came off a little outlandish with that statement. Looking at the way the Lakers played the playoff field so far this season, only one team has beat the Lakers at home (played a hell of a game too, funny how most of the Lakers losses have come in the last minutes of a game) and it's likely that team won't make it out of the first round. I don't see a Golden State this year, do you? We'll see in the playoffs, anyways. I will gladly say that I was wrong, if the Lakers lose in first round.

By the way, the Lakers are not going to field the same team from last year in the playoffs. They'll have Andrew Bynum this year, which changes the dynamics of the team. Even looking at it objectively, it's hard for me to make a case for any Western Conference team to beat the Lakers. Now the Finals, now's thats a different story...

Guest Vitamin X

What a fucking moron this douche is if he doesn't think the SCV counts as part of the LA area.

/throwdown for fellow hometowner.

And damn I hate LeBron, but he pretty much smacked down any talk of Wade winning MVP with his performance the last few games.

Wade responded today by becoming the Heat's all time leading scorer with 50-10-9, 4 steals and 2 blocks in a win over Utah. Granted he took a shitload of shots in a 3OT game, but the guy is averaging 37+ PPG, 10+ APG, ~6 RPG with ~3 SPG since the AS break. LeBron's going to win, but Wade has been superhuman for Miami this season.