TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #

1 N Watchmen WB $55,655,000 - 3,611 - $15,413 $55,655,000 $150 1

2 1 Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail LGF $8,800,000 -45.6% 2,151 +99 $4,091 $76,505,000 - 3

3 4 Taken Fox $7,450,000 -24.5% 3,016 -73 $2,470 $118,049,000 - 6

4 3 Slumdog Millionaire FoxS $6,925,000 -42.4% 2,890 -53 $2,396 $125,441,000 $15 17

5 6 Paul Blart: Mall Cop Sony $4,200,000 -25.0% 2,558 -140 $1,642 $133,643,000 $26 8

6 5 He's Just Not That Into You WB (NL) $4,020,000 -33.1% 2,445 -413 $1,644 $84,647,000 - 5

7 7 Coraline Focus $3,313,000 -37.0% 1,959 -133 $1,691 $65,680,000 - 5

8 9 Confessions of a Shopaholic BV $3,121,000 -32.7% 2,290 -244 $1,363 $38,356,000 - 4

9 2 Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience BV $2,785,000 -77.7% 1,276 +5 $2,183 $16,791,000 - 2

10 10 Fired Up SGem $2,600,000 -29.8% 1,798 -13 $1,446 $13,360,000 $20 3

11 12 Gran Torino WB $2,100,000 -30.5% 1,520 -230 $1,382 $141,676,000 $33 13

12 13 The Reader Wein. $2,086,000 -27.1% 1,175 -28 $1,775 $30,021,000 $32 13

It made 55 million, I think that 15,000 was a per screen avg. Considering 300 made 70 million this has to be a bit of a disappointment, but Watchmen is a lot longer than 300. They better hope this has some serious legs, but the word of mouth is likely going to be seriously mixed.

Does this count the decent grab it took in on the midnight shows Thursday night?

Yeah, that number definately seems dissapointing, especially since it was released on 3600 screens.

Any numbers how it did in IMAX? I'm waiting a few weeks and checking it out there.

Damn, it Taken ever going to die? It's still in the top three, and still in over 3,000 screens. Amazing.

I went to go see Watchmen last night and someone pulled the fire alarm in the theater 20 minutes in so they just gave out passes and told us to go home. Still upset over that one but hey, that's NYC youth for you.

I went to go see Watchmen last night and someone pulled the fire alarm in the theater 20 minutes in so they just gave out passes and told us to go home. Still upset over that one but hey, that's NYC youth for you.

Someone should have Dr. Manhattan'd (aka

touch someone and cause them to explode

) that little prick.

Someone should have Dr. Manhattan'd (aka

touch someone with their blue dick

) that little prick.

Fixed for cosplayers

I didn't see "Watchmen" making any more than it did, and I wouldn't be suprised if it takes a big dive next week.

That's gotta be a good number for a rated R movie that runs nearly 3 hours.

Guess I'd better see Friday the 13th this week or else I won't get the chance.

Still happy to see Taken near the top.

Paul Blart? Still? Seriously?

Taken must have awesome word of mouth. I saw the trailer and it just looked like an average thriller, even the reviews have been mixed. So, why is it doing so well?

it reminds me of an awesome 80s action movie but pg 13 and with better acting

No...she was annoying. Any kid that

jets off to Europe to follow U2 around

deserves to be kidnapped

Hey! That was my favourite part of the movie.

I still love

her friend dies, and no one seems to care.

deserves to be kidnapped

I still love

Agreed. Dude doesn't drop a single emotion on that one

deserves to be kidnapped

I still love

Agreed. Dude doesn't drop a single emotion on that one

Oh come on, he sorta cared. He was just working with a timetable. Didn't have time

for telling some parents their daughter was dead, they'll figure it out eventually.

For me, the best part is

his daughter needs no rehab or counseling, just is super stoked to start her music career

That was the perfect ending.

I'm also positive that Taken would have sucked with anyone else in the lead. He just has that cool calm "I can snap in a second and kill you with a toothpick" feeling about him that made it work.

Like Arnold in Commando, this was a role Liam was born for.

Yeah, the daughter was completely fucking annoying to me. She was supposed to be, what, 17? Then why the fuck did Maggie Grace keep acting like she was a damn 12 year old?

I love the fact she's running around like a retarded baby deer throughout the whole beginning, and then once she sees the kidnappers... it's like she became possessed by Carl Lewis and the worlds best secret agent.

I've never read Watchmen...hell, I had never even heard of it until the mid/late 90s and I used to be a bit of a comic book dork back then. This movie just doesn't look interesting to me at all, really. Looks campy, which I can understand is what they were going for, but I don't see how it can possibly pull in the casual movie going audience that helps boost sales. Looking at pics and previews makes me say "wait til the DVD". I'm not at all surprised to see a weaker opening number here. I've heard even the fanboys are 50/50 on it.

It's weird because I've never read Sin City, but was front and center for the movie. Maybe it's the casting? Sure I've heard of Crudup, Wilson and Haley, and it makes sense that those 3 are the guys getting all the praise for the acting, but I have no clue who any of those other people are. When you boast a cast like Sin City, it's kinda hard to NOT be interested enough to watch. Plus the visuals with Sin City are far more compelling than Watchmen. I mentioned before I got a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vibe from Watchmen....didn't want to make the same mistake twice.

2 1 Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail LGF $8,800,000 -45.6% 2,151 +99 $4,091 $76,505,000 - 3

This only furthers the stereotype that Tyler Perry is funny.

I mentioned before I got a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vibe from Watchmen....didn't want to make the same mistake twice.

Okay, those two aren't even remotely close! League is like easily a top 10 worst movie of all time. Sin City is also infinitely more adaptable to a screenplay, as it's not really dialogue heavy or cerebral. Watchmen is.

I'm trying to think if there are worse comparison's that I can come up with and I've landed on..mean girls. The only movie I can think of that is less like comparable to Watchmen than League of Extraordinary Gentleman...is mean girls.