39 members have voted

1. 1. Fights in the NHL.

• Keep
    • Ban
  2. 2. 3-Point Wins

• Let's make the standings more difficult
    • Let's keep the standings as difficult as they are now
    • Just have wins and losses for God's sake

Leave it as is, but if the goalie smothers the puck and no one is around, I also like to see a DoG call on that too. Keep the play moving guys.

I don't understand the constant tinkering by the GM's and the BoG.

Never had a problem with ties, but I don't have a problem with the loser point either. Instead of fiddling, why not let the ideas actually develop and see where they go?

And the tv timeout after icing is retarded. The point of it is to punish the team that ices the puck by forcing them to keep the same guys on the ice with no break. They didn't earn the breather, why give it to them? If anything, it will slow the game down to how it used to be. Prolonged attack by one team, the other team just throws it down ice to take the icing and the minute breather, get the puck out and change. Not much excitement there. But hey, we should all listen to Brian Burke more.

Hey a hard cap would be nice for a change too. $45 million should have been reasonable enough to manage a fucking team.

Guest Czech please!

Correct me if I'm wrong but the NHL does use a hard cap, that is to say you can almost never go over it unlike the NBA. I know the NFL is under a hard cap as well, but the NFL at least allows for non-guaranteed contracts. Hard salary caps shouldn't mix with guaranteed contracts, but then again this is the National Hockey League which never does anything smart.

Do players earn breathers by having goalies cover the puck, or by tripping someone? No, probably not, but you have to put ads somewhere. The reality of it is that they need to stay on schedule for the sake of the advertisers and the viewers. So maybe once in three games, an icing goes unpunished. Chances are that it's preferable to offsides at 15:08, two minutes of commercials, penalty for hooking at 15:36, two minutes of commercials, play resumes. Too starty-stoppy.

I don't see how it's germane to the argument, but okay. I committed to the Indian in 1994 and lapsed in 1996, when I got into wrestling and stopped following hockey, which became hard to do because I moved and no longer had SportsChannel on my cable. I renewed my commitment toward the end of the 01-02 season for the Steve Sullivan-fueled playoff run, and then sat through two awful years of fake prospects and tired has-beens and it was so soul-crushing that I rooted for the Senators in the 2003 playoffs just so I had a reason to care about the sport that broke my spirit so. Then hockey stopped, then it came back and the Hawks were still bad, then Bill Wirtz died and they got good. I knwo I'm not from the greater Calgary-Toronto-Montreal area like you, but I think I still have juuuust enough hockey cred to start a thread about it.

They ought to call it a half-win, that is what it is. If a win is worth 2 points, what is 1 point?

It was just outta curiosity, because I've never seen you post on hockey before.

Czech's always posting about the Blackhawks. What posts do you read?

You have to put ads somewhere, but them teams could just ice the puck knowing they're getting a TV timeout and can rest up. Keep it as is.

The 21 people who voted for wins and losses are retarded

- I've come around to the idea of just wins and losses. At the very least, it's better than rewarding "OT Losses".

- Fighting should stay in. It's an accepted part of the game, and it's not like there isn't a sort of "code" amongst fighters. Banning it because others leagues have is foolish, because it's never been a true part of their game. Frankly, I find the fighting keeps cheap shots down when allowed.

- Take out the trapezoid. Not every goalie is Martin Brodeur. There are plenty of Arturs Irbes and Dominic Haseks that make every move out of the crease an adventure (read: Moment of Heart-stopping terror) for their fans. It hasn't worked in the slightest.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the NHL does use a hard cap, that is to say you can almost never go over it unlike the NBA. I know the NFL is under a hard cap as well, but the NFL at least allows for non-guaranteed contracts. Hard salary caps shouldn't mix with guaranteed contracts, but then again this is the National Hockey League which never does anything smart.

I should have said a fixed cap.