TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
theone

Mandalay's failed WCW purchase

I remember Chuck Palumbo did an interview right after WCW got sold to Vince and wondered out loud, "I know we weren't doing the ratings we used to do and get killed every week by the WWF, but we're still consistently in the low-to-mid 2s every week. That's still better than 95% of cable."

Once Ted Turner lost all control due to the AOL Time Warner merger, they got rid of wrestling. As mentioned, Time Warner wanted wrestling off for a long time but Turner wouldn't let it happen.

I don't really blame Jamie Kellner for cancelling WCW. We're wrestling fans on this board but put yourself in the position of a TV executive. There's a program that attracts mediocre advertising, draws heat from some areas of the media, is considered redneck and low class, and on top of that this company is losing 60 million dollars. Who wouldn't want to cancel such a program?

I don't think anyone can really blame him. WCW probably caused headaches for all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons (and I'm not even including the poor viewers in that).

Let's put it this way - I'll bet they never look back and REGRET getting rid of it. Wrestling hasn't had a really mindblowing boom since.

Let's put it this way - I'll bet they never look back and REGRET getting rid of it. Wrestling hasn't had a really mindblowing boom since.

Umm, Kellner/Siegel killing off WCW and Vince swooping in to buy them for next to nothing was the cause of Wrestling not having a "really mindblowing boom since." :huh:

The two go hand in hand.