TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Czech please!

Any interest in doing another big song tournament?

(>'-')>  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do one?

• Sure
    • Nah
  2. 2. Decade?

• 1980s
    • 1990s

Guest Czech please!

Jury was out on how the '60s one ultimately transpired, so we can either try it again with the '80s or '90s (not the '70s, though, because really I think that decade belonged to albums rather than singles, at least as far as rock goes), or never speak of it again. It's that time of year, so maybe it might be fun to once again give it the old college try. As it were.

Of course, I'm not going to run it, nor will I do the forthcoming "March Badness" event wherein we find the worst poster and death-sentence him/her. Youth N Asia did the first one. I bet King Kamala Classic would love to run one!

Guest Czech please!

Album tournament holds promise, but I like to listen to all the material in the bracket in order to make an informed choice, and visiting with 128 albums just isn't practical, is it? My other fear is that it would come down to The Dark Side of the Moon versus the untitled Led Zeppelin album and we'd all bitch about that. I feel like the albums we love don't deserve to be put through such rigorous nonsense, and that's why I'm in favor of '90s singles rather than '70s albums for now. Watching Another Green World lose to Back in Black would upset me more than "Come and Get Your Love" losing to "Lump."

Guest Czech please!

I think I'm developing Parkinson's as karmic retribution for mocking CWM all the time.

Decades are cliche. Let's do female vocalists' singles or something. It's women's history month. Or something else. "Best songs of the decade" is so Vh1.

I'm intrigued, but wary. Perhaps, as Boo Berry suggested, we could brainstorm on a more inventive subject for our tournament. "Best song by an artist who has at some point worn a beard." Something along those lines.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Musicians with Moustaches.

Songs by men named Chris.

Guest Czech please!

Allow me a shred of dignity.

I love all these novel ideas for discussions, but I feel that a big honkin' 128-song tournament should be a decade thing. Call me old-fashioned. I'm not sure if I'd rather do an '80s or '90s, and if we were to do '90s, would we be able to count the first four months of 2000 since surely they were recorded in late 1999 and are still part of the greater '90s zeitgeist more so than 2000s? Then again, that might be kinda cheap if a 2000 song won the '90s tournament.

Allsssss I know is that if we're doing an '80s tournament I'm pushing for a "Flashdance...What a Feeling"/"Valerie"/"Jump"/"It's My Life" final four. Talk Talk, not Bon Jovi, you stupids.

I'm off the computer for a day and a half and I get Kinetic and Czech both name dropping me in a thread? Sweet. Yeah, usually I wouldn't be down for running tournament...but I'm on spring break for the next two and a half weeks and have no discernible plans other than going to Boston on the 23rd, so yeah....I'll run a stupid tournament if nobody else volunteers.

I second an '80s tournament. For my money, that was the second best decade for pop music behind the '60s. I'd be pulling for "Electric Avenue" to make a deep run.

All right. '80s it is, then?

Y'know, there's a hard rock cover of "Electric Avenue" on the radio right now. That and the recent hard rock cover of "Careless Whisper" (no joke) makes me wonder what the hell's going on with these radio rock meatheads covering '80s Top 40 songs. Do they feel that the perfect recorded version of, say, "Girls Girls Girls" already exists, and so therefore it would be pointless to cover that or any other song that would be a little closer in style to their music? Come to think of it, there's a Carrie Underwood cover of "Home Sweet Home" out right now, too. Black is white. Cats are dogs.

I could actually see a hard rock cover of "Electric Avenue" working. The lyrics kind of betray the original's fun '80s pop vibe. I'm sure this cover sucks though. Can't see a hard rock cover of "Careless Whisper" working at all. Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright did a pretty good cover of it though when they went on tour together four years ago or so.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Oh god. Seether is the band that did the aformentioned hard rock cover of "Careless Whisper"? They're terrible. My cousin, whose favorite band is Slaughter (shitty '80s hair metal version) and loves Vanilla Ice's nu-metal material, says they're the worst band he's ever seen. That's saying something.

I'd be in for one these, as it'd open my ears to some new music (hopefully).

Singles 90s sounds like a good starting point. Prepare for my brit pop nominations!

What, no Born in the USA?

I would certainly hope not. What a dogshit song.

This happening?

Neither '80s nor '90s has taken a convincing lead and nobody has stepped up to coordinate it. I'd been torn (like the Natalie Imbruglia song from the '90s) about which decade would be better, but VX convinced me two nights ago right before the onset of The Situation that the 1990s, for the most part, is Our Music, and should be next in line for discussing and voting and arguing. Kreese also had a good argument that an '80s tournament would be a little more idiotproofed than the '90s, which I suppose is true (like the Spandau Ballet song). So yeah. I'm down for either, would prefer '90s by a hair, but it's up to whoever wants to drive the thing.