WWF WrestleMania

The Executioner vs. Tito Santana

King Kong Bundy vs. Special Delivery Jones

Matt Borne vs. Ricky Steamboat

Brutus Beefcake vs. David Sammartino

WWF Intercontinental Championship

The Junkyard Dog vs. Greg Valentine

WWF World Tag Team Championship

Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik vs. The U.S. Express (Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo)

$15,000 Bodyslam Challenge

Big John Studd vs. Andre the Giant

WWF Women's Championship

Wendi Richter vs. Leilani Kai

Roddy Piper & Paul Orndorff vs. Hulk Hogan & Mr. T

Watched this event a few days ago, via my 24 day WrestleMania Marathon (today is WrestleMania IV, and so on).

While it doesn't have the level of prestige some of the later WrestleManias would have, and it's weird to see a WrestleMania without the World Title on the line in some form or another, this event did serve its purpose.

And the cheering when Andre slammed Studd was pretty damn good for the time and crowd.

I'm not sure why that one was there, but I've removed it. The Marvin WW(f)e filter isn't going anywhere though.

It's really nothing more than a tarted-up MSG card, but the atmosphere was certainly there, especially in the main event.

Also, something I wondered:

Did they just want Muhammad Ali there for the name and to throw some punches in the directions of the heels, hence why they made him the outside referee insted of a normal one?

Did they just want Muhammad Ali there for the name and to throw some punches in the directions of the heels, hence why they made him the outside referee insted of a normal one?

That and they wanted Patterson as ref in case Mr T got lost and they'd have someone who could direct traffic.

That and hey wanted Patterson as ref in case Mr T got lost and they'd have someone who could direct traffic.

That does make sense.

T I thought did pretty well for the time period and such.

Also, something I wondered:

Patterson says in the LOW-WrestleMania broadcast , that Ali was pulled at the last minute and placed as outside referee due to health concerns from battling the early stages of Parkinson's.

It's been so long since I watched this show, I'd forgotten how bad it looks. The pre-match promos leave a lot to be desired too, although SD Jones' did make me laugh. I don't think it's a terrible show by any means, but it's not special at all, and if this show had been done as any Wrestlemania past 1 or 2 it would have tanked.

It's funny but I first saw this show in 1988 on VHS and even then it seemed like something from a totally different era. It's a sweet, silly little show and I still like it for nostalgia purposes.

In a bit of strangeness, the first half of the 24/7 version (which I assume is the DVD version) doesn't have a "WrestleMania" transition graphic during Gene's pre-match interviews, "exposing" the fact the opponents were standing right next to each other (though it's very obvious anyway).