TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NCAA Tournament

So 15 out of 16 higher seeds win in Round 2 and we have only two teams seeded below the Top 16, Purdue and Arizona, advance to the Sweet 16 which is the fewest ever since they expanded to 64 teams in 1985. After having every #1 seed advance to the Final Four last season and 2007 was also very much a "chalk" tournament I'm starting to think the committee is getting smarter at putting the field together.

Mizzou faked an injury, a Marquette player made Chris Webber look intelligent, another Marquette player got mugged on a 3 pointer and nothing was called, and that all happened in the last 30 seconds or so on the clock. It was a good game for about 39:30 and then hit NBA level terrible officiating.

SC really blew that one. I've never seen a player get in foul trouble as often as Taj Gibson does. It blows my mind.

So 15 out of 16 higher seeds win in Round 2 and we have only two teams seeded below the Top 16, Purdue and Arizona, advance to the Sweet 16 which is the fewest ever since they expanded to 64 teams in 1985. After having every #1 seed advance to the Final Four last season and 2007 was also very much a "chalk" tournament I'm starting to think the committee is getting smarter at putting the field together.

Plus, Purdue is only a 5 seed at that. And Arizona, even though they're a 12 seed, has as much talent as many of the teams left with Hill, Budinger, and Wise. Lots of close calls though, which leads me to believe that things will even out eventually over the next few years.

I'm getting sick of such awful endings to good games. Getting pretty sick of all the chalk, too.

I don't mind it. The tournament is supposed to go to chalk, it ensures the best matchups

Yeah, my bracket is pretty much intact at this point. I have 15 of 16 teams, so going with the chalk was the best thing here. The one team I didn't have? Arizona. Even though it's a 1 vs. 12 game I don't mind saying that Zona scares me. Rick Pitino + Arizona + Indianapolis didn't really work out very well in 1997. Still, U of L has to beat the weakest team remaining in the field. In fact I don't recall a Pitino coached team even having a tough Sweet 16 game, regardless of whether he was coaching Providence, UK, or now U of L.

I'm getting sick of such awful endings to good games. Getting pretty sick of all the chalk, too.

I don't mind it. The tournament is supposed to go to chalk, it ensures the best matchups

It's not too good from an entertainment standpoint, though. They sell this tournament in part on the Cinderellas and the amazing upsets, which are sorely lacking this year.

It's not too good from an entertainment standpoint, though. They sell this tournament in part on the Cinderellas and the amazing upsets, which are sorely lacking this year.

The Cinderella stuff is fine for the first round, and but I don't like seeing it permeate the later rounds. I'd rather the teams that were dominant all season play for the title, rather then a team getting hot in March and backing into the later rounds

Mizzou faked an injury, a Marquette player made Chris Webber look intelligent, another Marquette player got mugged on a 3 pointer and nothing was called, and that all happened in the last 30 seconds or so on the clock. It was a good game for about 39:30 and then hit NBA level terrible officiating.

What's been pissing me off is everybody in the sports media saying "What a great finish to Marquette-Mizzou" and focusing on the line violation and completing fucking ignoring the mugging on the three point shot. CBS was especially guilty of that in their postgame coverage.

The foul on the 3 point shot doesn't matter because he didn't make it. If he would have made it it would be completely different. It's not a 4 point play.

There's always the chance he could have made the first two free throws, missed the third and a teammate could have tipped it in with the 1.1 seconds that were left on the clock. It might happen 1 time in 10 million, but to say that they shouldn't have called the foul when the game could still have been tied is silly. If Marquette was down 5+ points, then I could see swallowing the whistle. But there was still time and a way for them to tie it up.

I would think it's better from an entertainment standpoint to have the top teams play one another?

I would think it's better from an entertainment standpoint to have the top teams play one another?

Not better, just different. The quality of the games might be somewhat better, but I think that's mitigated by the excitement that's missing from seeing a David get a chance to knock down a Goliath. There's nothing about a Kansas-Michigan State matchup that would make me sit up and take notice, or a Louisville-Arizona game. Now, make it Louisville-Cleveland State, and I'm probably going to watch, just on the off chance that the unthinkable happens.

The best teams almost always make it to the Final Four anyway, I just don't like that the committee is sucking the life out of the tournament before it even starts by putting all the Goliath programs in at the expense of the Davids. Sure, Arizona is playing well now, but who's to say St. Mary's couldn't have done what they did?

Just got two Final 4 tickets for $195 a pop. Let's hope I have a reason to go.

To cheer on Memphis? :)

Hey if Memphis takes us out and ends up in the finals, I'll be cheering them on for sure. The odds of me rooting for a team on the other side of the bracket are slim to none.

EDIT: Looking at it, I think the only way I'm rooting for a team from the East or South is if it's Villanova vs. Michigan State.