TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Agent of Oblivion

The Agent of Oblivion question of the day

Dander...but usually just with cats. Dogs I can tolerate, for some reason, few exceptions here and there. I seem to get it with the hamster and guinea pig type pets as well. Daughter had a hamster I had to get rid of because of allergies.

When I was in middle school, I helped burn off a fencerow and got poison ivy so bad I looked like Toxie. My face was swollen and lumpy, an eye was shut, my nostrils were inflamed and clogged. Had it on my lips, in my mouth, ears, scalp, both hands, arms, neck, and ankles.

I get a little bit every summer, but usually just a small patch that a little ointment takes care of in quick fashion.

I'm not allergic to anything, so far as I know.

I think I could potentially be allergic to bees, I guess; My sister was allergic, and I've only been stung once (I seem to recall being told you need to be stung by bees twice before you'll have an allergic reaction) so I dunno.

But no, no known allergies.

I wasn't able to eat any dairy or gluten products from the age of 7 to 14. I still try to consume them as sparsely as possible.

fiberglass, especially from roofing tiles or fluffy pink insulation. i itch just thinking of it. makes me blow up like a balloon and have an amazing rash.

Aspirin and dust. The latter, when I was a child, made visits to my grandparents absolute hell until everyone figured my constant sneezing and running nose was directly related to the fine layer of dust that coated almost all their possessions.

Peaches.

Sucks to be me, because I really love the things.

Dust irritates my nose for long periods of time, but I suppose that's everyone. I don't puff up and turn red or anything too drastic. I'm allergic to acetominophen and so I can't take a lot of over-the-counter medication. Cigarette smoke turns me into a flushed and hacking mess; the social ramifications of this reaction are about what you'd expect.

By and large, though, I think I drew a good hand when it comes to allergies. Nothing that really endangers my life or imposes on people around me, like peanuts or penicillin or bee stings or anything like that, so that's a relief. I'd hate to be one of those people who requires all sorts of over-the-top special treatment, like a peanut-free halo on an airplane, or anything like that. I'd rather just die and get out of the way than prevent innocent airline patrons from enjoying their god-given right to eat peanuts on a plane.

Hey, how common is an allergy to the red dye in M&Ms and things like that? My friend from high school had that and would occasionally give me her red-colored food, which I appreciated.

I'm allergic to bees. When I was a kid, I got stung on the bridge of my nose and my whole face puffed up so bad I couldn't see, and could just barely even open my eyes.

You're allergic to homosexuals, though!

Shit how could I forgot about being allergic to bees...damn near pulled a Macauly Culkin when I was a kid. I'm terrified of bees to this day. I'll jump around like a teddy bear on crack when even one is floating nearby.

I don't know what it is that's in it, but Chinese food makes me sick (hold the jokes). Which blows because Chinese food is delicious. Sometimes I eat it anyway and then just suck it up.

I don't know what it is that's in it, but Chinese food makes me sick (hold the jokes). Which blows because Chinese food is delicious. Sometimes I eat it anyway and then just suck it up.

Monosodium glutamate?

Not allergic to any food or medicine that I know of. I do get the sneezy runny nose allergies in the spring. It's not the yellow pollen that gets me, it's whatever comes right after that disappears. Up here it's not bad at all, in Spokane I'd have a miserable couple of weeks that time of the year. But at far as allergies go I'll take it over the deadly/more annoying ones.

My dog on the other hand is allergic to everything and spends his days itching, scratching, licking, and biting himself all over.

Cigarette smoke turns me into a flushed and hacking mess; the social ramifications of this reaction are about what you'd expect.

How do you make sure to avoid it? I guess it must be easier for you in pubs and restaurants now due to the ban, but what about when you're just walking from point A to point B? Do you cross the road whenever you see a smoker coming?

what about when you're just walking from point A to point B? Do you cross the road whenever you see a smoker coming?

Okay, if somebody walks by smoking a cigarette, I'm not going to fall on the ground and convulse. (Though maybe I should, just as a stunt. I crave attention.) I was referring to being in poorly ventilated apartments or basements, stuff like that where you just can't stop smelling the stuff, and I generally have to excuse myself pretty quickly. Illinois is pleasantly smoke-free, Wisconsin is not due to the lobbying power of the Tavern League, so I hear. Maybe Snuffy can elaborate. Like with marijuana legalization, I'm at odds with myself on the smoking ban, because my heart is saying "let's go!" but my body's saying "no!" Inverse Aguilera Principle.

I've been in bars. Sometimes underage! Sometimes playing a trumpet!

You can still smoke in some restaurants in North Carolina. I find that to be a bit much, but being able to smoke in bars is a major plus. I couldn't do it in Georgia, and Washington's anti-smoking stance is such that you have to be 50 feet away from any entrance before you can light up. So smoking in a bar here is a non-starter, and in fact you can't even really be in the vicinity of the bar if you want to smoke.