TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kinetic

'90s Song Tournament

Salt-N-Pepa- "Whatta Man": Not my favorite S-n-P, which is "Push It," but whatever.

Beck- "Loser": I don't like Beck, but I loathe the Backstreet Boys.

Montell Jordan- "This Is How We Do It": A great song that was popular in 1995, like Home Improvement.

Goo Goo Dolls- "Iris": Oh God this is an amazing alternative-rock song. One of my favorites.

Hanson- "Mmmbop": First I thought it was "Cannonball" by Damien Rice. No, this is better.

Chris Isaak- "Wicked Game": Doing my part to knock Snoop out early. Lord of the Curry will cancel me out, though.

Jewel- "Who Will Save Your Soul": "Foolish Games" is a better Jewel song but this is better than Kris Kross too. Girl has pipes.

Deee-Lite- "Groove Is In The Heart": I'm not voting for Eve 6

Sarah McLachlan- "Building a Mystery": I never liked Jamiroquai.

Warren G. (feat. Nate Dogg)- "Regulate": Elite 8 candidate right here. At least. Classic.

Sixpence None The Richer- "Kiss Me": Which movie was this in?

Christina Aguilera- "Genie In A Bottle": Just referenced this song yesterday!

Boyz II Men- "End Of The Road": Okay, decent enough, but "On Bended Knee" was their best and I'd better see it later but if I don't here's something.

Weezer- "Buddy Holly": !!! I only like the middle 8 of this song but hey whatever!

U2- "One": This feels obligatory.

Jay Z- "Can I Get A...": I don't like N'Sync and refuse to acknowledge JT's "pure pop brilliance." This has a really really good beat.

Nirvana- "Smells Like Teen Spirit": meh

Blink 182- "Dammit": "All the Small Things" was the worst.

Blur- "Girls and Boys": This is the one that isn't played at hockey games, right?

Stone Temple Pilots- "Interstate Love Song": These are the same song

Smashing Pumpkins- "1979":

Seal- "Kiss From A Rose"

The Cranberries- "Dreams": this was being used in ads for The Hartford this summer. Gen Xers need life insurance already?

No Doubt- "Don't Speak"

Alanis Morissette- "Ironic"

Green Day- "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)": Green Day is awful but this is a Song Of The '90s. Seinfeld used it!

Oasis- "Wonderwall": better of the two.

R.E.M.- "Losing My Religion": My favorite R.E.M. song, cliche as it may be, but then again I'm not really a decorated R.E.M. fan.

Chumbawumba- "Tubthumping": someone nominated "Bitch"? Who? How? Why? This person will be drawn and quartered and possibly added to my pending Enemies List even if that person didn't vote for Jingus. MAN. Made me vote for fuckin' Chumbawamba. I own this album, btw.

Tom Cochrane- "Life Is A Highway": for Inc

Third Eye Blind- "Semi-Charmed Life": Say the best music of the '80s, '90s, AND TODAY! over the intro. DO IT. I also really appreciate this song because it's somewhat of a meme over at Collegehumor which recently jumped the shark by beocming a popular sketch comedy show on MTV and now fucking everyguybody in the whole World Of Ours is going to worship Sarah Schneider for being a semi-attractive girl who might not be completely vapid and shallow and might even be known to partake in the occasional video game as well and now the Jake And Amir videos will just be reduced to being commented as omgsofuckingrandomlolol and there goes another thing that was kinda cool once. Oh well. OH FUCKING WELL.

Blind Melon- "No Rain": good enough to win a round

TLC- "Waterfalls": "Unpretty" is the superior TLC song, one that should have gone far in this, but this was okay too; basically I'm voting against Aerosmith on general principle because Aerosmith fuckin sucks eggs except for one song, that being "Dream On," which isn't here.

En Vogue- "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)"

Soundgarden- "Black Hole Sun": this was a negative vote, that is to say voting for one because I hate the other. In 6th grade, I liked a girl named Ashley, because she threw a wadded-up ball of paper at my head in 3rd hour English and when I turned around she waved and said "hi!" and I misconstrued it as flirting and developed a crush on her, which went nowhere because she said I looked like a duck. Then at a series of weekly dances at the YMCA (we called it Y Night!), her friends would come up to me and sing "Never Gonna Get It" to me, taunting me. Then I said "shut the hell up" and one girl threw a shoe at my head. This all happened. I told the story to CWM the other night. I didn't even think I'd see that stinker in here. Die.

MC Hammer- "U Can't Touch This": These are too early '90s for me, but I'm not voting for Van Winkle.

Skee-Lo- "I Wish": One of the better rap songs

Salt-N-Pepa- "Shoop": I like the part where she makes the retard sound.

The Verve Pipe- "The Freshmen": angsty. Good clean guitar lines. A fine '90s song, but no winner.

Britney Spears- "...Baby One More Time": only wiggers would vote for Tupac. And legit black people.

The Fugees- "Killing Me Softly With His Song": Spice Girls were awful. This was a good cover. Love the original.

Bryan Adams- "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You": I played this in wind ensemble, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves yo.

The Verve- "Bittersweet Symphony": This was kinda my theme song when I played Dean Douglas in the neighborhood wrestling fed. In a way, it was kinda my theme song too.

Beastie Boys- "Sabotage": I bought a girl a Better Than Ezra DVD for her birthday and a couple years she capital-letters Broke My Heart, so I will impede the progress of Better Than Ezra at every turn. I outgrew the Beasties in 2003, by the by.

The Cardigans- "Lovefool": "Semi-Charmed Life" basically renders "Two Princes" extraneous. When we went to Great America in 5th grade, spring of 1997, this song was on the radio and I sang "I don't really know the words to this" along with the "I don't care bout anything but you" part or whatever and this one kid looked at me incredulously and said "YOU DON'T KNOW THE WORDS TO THIS?!?!" and I remembered this and it made me laugh.

Tracy Chapman- "Give Me One Reason": I was just thinking about this song the other day!Looked it up to see who sang it.

Soul Asylum- "Runaway Train": I remember this from a good YTMND, back when that was a thing. They listed dead memes.

Semisonic- "Closing Time": Who put fucking "Walking in Memphis" in here? Schlock. More Y Night memories here.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- "Under The Bridge": Decent song but my favorite RHCP songs are the Californication singles, ineligible for this exercise.

Radiohead- "Creep": I don't like "Creep" much but this has a good draw ahead. Sweet 16.

Presidents of the United States of America- "Lump": I ripped this song in the preliminary thread but it's not THAT bad. Is it?

Pearl Jam- "Evenflow": My favorite Pearl Jam song, but admittedly I don't like them much. Okay fine it's "Jeremy" you got me

New Radicals- "You Get What You Give": NOW THIS is a fucking song of the '90s. OF. OF

Pras (ft. Maya & ODB)- "Ghetto Superstar": shrug

Sinead O'Connor- "Nothing Compares 2 U": doubleshrug

The Divinyls- "I Touch Myself": yes

Marcy Playground- "Sex and Candy": another favorite of mine in 6th grade.

Extreme- "More Than Words": I have to do my part to keep the Axltards in check.

Lisa Loeb- "Stay (I Missed You)": How could I not go with the show that revolutionized the sitcom and gave the Internet so many delicious delicious memes? Though it's too bad that Michael Cera's career is a total one-trick pony, I suppose that's his own doing, not the show. Oh wait, this is that positive rap group. I'm going with Hot Glasses Girl isntead. She dated the Dweez!

Hootie and the Blowfish- "I Only Wanna Be With You": refer to BNL thread for justification

Ben Folds Five- "Brick": slow-danced to this in 6th grade. Still my favorite Ben Folds Five song, but not because of that, but because it's just an amazing song.

Fastball- "The Way": This was okay!

Gin Blossoms- "Hey Jealousy": oh God what a tough draw. The power-pop exuberance of the Gin Blossoms is fantastic, but the rapid-fire attack of Juvenile is good too. Great beat on "Back That Azz Up" but I guess I'm a rockist at heart. Sorry Mannie.

4 Non Blondes- "What's Up": This was a classic tune. The Foo Fighters are rock wallpaper.

A lot of songs I'd hope would make the cut did not. I'll be writing justifications for them later.

Everything But The Girl- "Missing"

Goo Goo Dolls- "Iris" - Don't think I know either song, and I don't think I've even heard of Everything But The Girl, but their name is stupid so Iris gets the vote.

There's no way that you don't know this song.

Also, my pick to win it all is Sabotage, unless you queerbaits vote for November Rain's shitty shit like the queermo assbutts you are.

I couldn't justify Extreme, but I'll definitely go with Lisa Loeb or Faith No More next round if that's how this here bracket works.

+++ to Czech for "Sorry, Mannie."

Yeah, what kind of gayfer doesn't know "Iris."

It's actually a good thing that a lot of my picks didn't make it. It keeps me at a distance, keeps me from getting bent outta shape. It is a little heavy on the alternative, though, isn't it?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, where are all the good 90s rap songs? "C.R.E.A.M.", "I Get Around", "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down", "Juicy", "Shook Ones", "NY State of Mind", "T.R.O.Y", "Tha Crossroads", "I Used to Love H.E.R.", "Still Not A Player", "Ruff Ryders Anthem", etc. The list above is all middle-of-the-dial FM bullshit and peculiar one-off hits from bands that faded into oblivion. Hip hop more or less dominated the latter half of that decade and it's severely underrepresented as a genre.

EDIT #2: Now that I am putting more and more thought into this, nothing from Alice In Chains or Metallica? What about Rage Against the Machine? NIN? Marilyn Manson? Maybe I'm being overly analytical and harsh here, but I grew up in the 90s just like the rest of you and I don't remember anyone listening to half of the stuff listed above. Yes, those were all radio hits back then, but is anyone really throwing them on a list of their favorite songs?

I appreciate your concern, Cheech. I really really really really really do. But in compiling this list, I'm put in the uncomfortable position of being all things to all people, y'know? If I put in all of these fairly well known but not mainstream popular indie rock songs, I'm an elitist. BUTT is all over my ass. If I represent a lot of fringey hip hop stuff, you and Byron the Bulb are happy but that shit is losing to Hootie and the Blowfish by 15 votes. This British guy is on a completely different plane. Who knows what the British listened to in the 1990s? Not a fucking clue. The basic point is that I had 128 slots to represent every fucking song that was released in an entire ten year period, so of course some of your favorite songs are going to be left out. Get a fucking clue, all of you. Jesus Christ, why did I ever volunteer for this. What a fucking thankless exercise. I hope you all die of a painful communicable disease. See you next round.

You know I love you Kinetic and I don't envy the position you are in running this tournament. Not only is it a thankless endeavor, but the song choices are never going to please everybody. That being said, the list is odd in a populist sort of way. You are running a tourney for TSM; we are the only ones voting. You don't have to make sure to have a song here to satisfy my uncle and the girl that works the deli counter at Safeway (my uncle loved "Life Is A Highway" by the way). I have a hard time taking a 90s list seriously that doesn't somehow incorporate "Hypnotize" or "Enter Sandman." Those songs were the 90s.

So, yes my opinion counts for dog shit here (and everyone else's does, too, seeing the few crossovers from the nominations thread to here), but don't act like you're acting in everyone's best interests. No one fucking listens to Bryan Adams or Marc Cohn. Please. Just call this what it is: The Super Secret Board for Jerks Presents Their Favorite Songs of the 90s.

Just call this what it is: The Super Secret Board for Jerks Presents Their Favorite Songs of the 90s.

That's obviously not what it is. There was no discussion or planning of it in that regard. Maybe there should have been instead of throwing it open to everyone for nominations.

Kinetic, you want to take a mulligan on this? Just think: it's only gonna get worse from here. We can dust ourselves off and try again.

Toad the Wet Bracket

Salt-N-Pepa- "Whatta Man"

Backstreet Boys- "I Want It That Way" - Awesome song! Tell me whyyyyy some of you won't vote for it!

Montell Jordan- "This Is How We Do It"

Goo Goo Dolls- "Iris" - I love this song to death. I might vote it through to the end.

The Breeders- "Cannonball" - Fuck Hanson! Actually, I don't mind the music they play now, but their mmmmbop days sucked.

Snoop Doggy Dogg- "Gin and Juice" - Snoop Dogg's a pimp!

Jewel- "Who Will Save Your Soul"

Eve 6- "Inside Out"

Sarah McLachlan- "Building a Mystery" - I don't really like it, but there's something catchy about it. Mysterious.0

Ricky Martin- "Livin La Vida Loca" - This man should still be a big deal today!

Notorious B.I.G. (feat. Puff Daddy and Mace)- "Mo Money Mo Problems"

Christina Aguilera- "Genie In A Bottle" - Was hard to knock out Cool J, but Christina is hot

Boyz II Men- "End Of The Road" - I don't know much of either band, but I think these guys were on the Fresh Prince

Weezer- "Buddy Holly"

Mariah Carey- "Dreamlover" - I just hate U2

'N Sync- "Tearin' Up My Heart"

Give Me One Region To Stay Here

Nirvana- "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Have to go for the bigger hit

Blink 182- "Dammit" - Much better song

Blur- "Girls and Boys"

Stone Temple Pilots- "Interstate Love Song"

Smashing Pumpkins- "1979"

Seal- "Crazy"

The Cranberries- "Dreams"

No Doubt- "Don't Speak" My favourite (l)

Green Day- "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" Tough choice, I love Green Day.

Oasis- "Wonderwall"

R.E.M.- "Losing My Religion"

Chumbawumba- "Tubthumping"

Tom Cochrane- "Life Is A Highway"

Third Eye Blind- "Semi-Charmed Life"

Black Crowes- "Jealous Again"

2 Legit Bracket

TLC- "Waterfalls"

Soundgarden- "Black Hole Sun"

Vanilla Ice- "Ice Ice Baby" Can't touch THIS. Winner.

Skee-Lo- "I Wish"

Salt-N-Pepa- "Shoop"

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince- "Summertime"

Britney Spears- "...Baby One More Time"

The Fugees- "Killing Me Softly With His Song"

Bryan Adams- "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" Actually, this might be my favourite song of the whole bunch.

The Verve- "Bittersweet Symphony"

Better Than Ezra- "Good"

Spin Doctors- "Two Princes"

Offspring- "Self Esteem"

Eagle-Eye Cherry- "Save Tonight"

Semisonic- "Closing Time"

Collective Soul- "Shine"

Damn! I Wish I Was Your Bracket

Radiohead- "Creep"

Outkast- "Rosa Parks"

Pearl Jam- "Evenflow"

New Radicals- "You Get What You Give"

Pras (ft. Maya & ODB)- "Ghetto Superstar"

Sinead O'Connor- "Nothing Compares 2 U"

The Divinyls- "I Touch Myself"

Nada Surf- "Popular"

Marcy Playground- "Sex and Candy"

Guns N Roses- "November Rain"

Arrested Development- "Tennessee"

Hootie and the Blowfish- "I Only Wanna Be With You"

Ben Folds Five- "Brick"

Garbage- "Only Happy When It Rains"

Juvenile- "Back That Azz Up"

Foo Fighters- "Everlong"

Toad the Wet Bracket

Veruca Salt- "Seether"

Beck- "Loser"

The Breeders- "Cannonball"

Chris Isaak- "Wicked Game"

Deee-Lite- "Groove Is In The Heart"

Jamiroquai- "Virtual Insanity"

Warren G. (feat. Nate Dogg)- "Regulate"

Christina Aguilera- "Genie In A Bottle"

Boyz II Men- "End Of The Road"

Toni Braxton- "You Mean The World To Me"

U2- "One"

Jay Z- "Can I Get A..."

Nirvana- "Heart Shaped Box"

Blink 182- "All The Small Things"

Blur- "Girls and Boys"

Stone Temple Pilots- "Plush"

Smashing Pumpkins- "Today"

Seal- "Crazy" SUCK IT BYRON THE BULBOUS PUSBAG

The Cranberries- "Linger"

No Doubt- "Don't Speak"

Alanis Morissette- "You Oughta Know"

Green Day- "Basket Case"

Oasis- "Champagne Supernova"

R.E.M.- "Losing My Religion" great great song.

Tom Cochrane- "Life Is A Highway" i wanna ride tom cochrane all night long.

Toad the Wet Sprocket- "All I Want"

Blind Melon- "No Rain"

2 Legit Bracket

Aerosmith- "Cryin'"

En Vogue- "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)" i used to imagine they were naked under those slinky dresses in the video.

Vanilla Ice- "Ice Ice Baby"

Spacehog- "In The Meantime"

Salt-N-Pepa- "Shoop"

The Verve Pipe- "The Freshmen"

Spice Girls- "Wannabe"

Dr. Dre (feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg)- "Nuthin But A G Thang"

Beastie Boys- "Sabotage"

The Cardigans- "Lovefool" love this song. i say that i love this song.

Offspring- "Self Esteem"

Soul Asylum- "Runaway Train" dave pirner has been missing since 1998.

Mark Cohn- "Walking In Memphis" i always wondered who sang this.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- "Under The Bridge"

Counting Crows- "Mr. Jones" jangle the shit out of that guitar, whatever-the-name-of-the-guitarist-is.

Outkast- "Rosa Parks"

Cracker- "Low"

Sheryl Crow- "All I Wanna Do" this legit has one of my favorite guitar solos on any song.

Nada Surf- "Popular"

Faith No More- "Epic"

Lisa Loeb- "Stay (I Missed You)" even though i think "do you sleep?" is slightly better. they're basically the same song.

Everclear- "Santa Monica"

Harvey Danger- "Flagpole Sitta"

Gin Blossoms- "Hey Jealousy"

Foo Fighters- "Everlong"

Just call this what it is: The Super Secret Board for Jerks Presents Their Favorite Songs of the 90s.

That's obviously not what it is. There was no discussion or planning of it in that regard. Maybe there should have been instead of throwing it open to everyone for nominations.

Kinetic, you want to take a mulligan on this? Just think: it's only gonna get worse from here. We can dust ourselves off and try again.

wasn't cheech in charge of the 60s bracket that everybody started bitching about? if so, i doubt the convictions of his remarks.

i think you're doing a great job, kinetic. i'm only posting in this thing because of you.

Toad the Wet Bracket

Veruca Salt- "Seether"

Backstreet Boys- "I Want It That Way"

Beck- "Loser"

Paula Cole- "I Don't Want To Wait"

Goo Goo Dolls- "Iris"

Hanson- "Mmmbop"

Snoop Doggy Dogg- "Gin and Juice"

Kris Kross- "Jump"

Eve 6- "Inside Out"

Sarah McLachlan- "Building a Mystery"

Ricky Martin- "Livin La Vida Loca"

Sixpence None The Richer- "Kiss Me"

L.L. Cool J- "Mama Said Knock You Out"

Fiona Apple- "Criminal"

Weezer- "Buddy Holly"

Mariah Carey- "Dreamlover"

U2- "One"

Jay Z- "Can I Get A..."

Nirvana- "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Blink 182- "Dammit"

Blur- "Song 2"

Blur- "Girls and Boys"

Seal- "Crazy"

Seal- "Kiss From A Rose"

No Doubt- "Spiderwebs"

No Doubt- "Don't Speak"

Green Day- "Basket Case"

Green Day- "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)"

Oasis- "Wonderwall"

R.E.M.- "Everybody Hurts"

Meredith Brooks- "Bitch"

Bush- "Glycerine"

Blind Melon- "No Rain"

2 Legit Bracket

Aerosmith- "Cryin'"

TLC- "Waterfalls"

MC Hammer- "U Can't Touch This"

Skee-Lo- "I Wish"

Salt-N-Pepa- "Shoop"

Naughty By Nature- "O.P.P."

2Pac- "California Love"

Spice Girls- "Wannabe"

Bryan Adams- "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You"

Barenaked Ladies- "One Week"

Better Than Ezra- "Good"

Beastie Boys- "Sabotage"

The Cardigans- "Lovefool"

Tracy Chapman- "Give Me One Reason"

Offspring- "Self Esteem"

Soul Asylum- "Runaway Train"

Mark Cohn- "Walking In Memphis"

Collective Soul- "Shine"

Counting Crows- "Mr. Jones"

Radiohead- "Creep"

Outkast- "Rosa Parks"

Presidents of the United States of America- "Lump"

Cracker- "Low"

Pearl Jam- "Evenflow"

Sheryl Crow- "All I Wanna Do"

Joan Osborne- "One Of Us"

Dishwalla- "Counting Blue Cars"

Nada Surf- "Popular"

Faith No More- "Epic"

Extreme- "More Than Words"

Lisa Loeb- "Stay (I Missed You)"

Ben Folds Five- "Brick"

Fastball- "The Way"

Foo Fighters- "Everlong"

4 Non Blondes- "What's Up"

wasn't cheech in charge of the 60s bracket that everybody started bitching about? if so, i doubt the convictions of his remarks.

No, no, no. That was our boy, Twisted Intestine. I would never dream of running a tournament like this. Not only do I lack the patience or insight to organize it, I don't think that I have thick enough skin to handle to endless remarks that would inevitable come from jerks like me.

Oh, maybe it was.

Maybe there should have been instead of throwing it open to everyone for nominations.

You mean the nominations he didn't even use? I've definitely posted too much already, feigning an outrage I don't really have, but opening up a "nominations" round, then disregarding the whole thing and starting a new tourney should open one up to criticism, no? You have to cast a large net to grab the whole decade, but c'mon.

i think you're doing a great job, kinetic. i'm only posting in this thing because of you.

Same, plus a slow work day. Cheech acklowedges that there was no way this list could make everyone happy, but he complains anyway that it didn't make him happy. Good one, dude.

Of course there's going to be all this dissention. This is the music that most of us grew up listening to, so there's going to be a wider array of choices than the 60s list, as that one mostly consisted of canonical works. There was just so more music being played on the radio in the 90s, making trying to narrow it down to a satisfying 128 impossible.

Toad the Wet Bracket

Veruca Salt- "Seether"

Mostly soft spot here, as this song/video was popular around the time I first started to experience raging hormones so I really wanted to put it to two-thirds of this group. The Amazonian one was the one I didn't care for, but even then I'd probably do her, anyway.

Beck- "Loser"

I actually heard "Loser" for the first time in many a moon at the gym the other day. This is one of the cases where after months/years/epochs of not hearing something that was once so overplayed you can go back to it and realize it's not a bad song. But "I Want It That Way" is better than not bad, it's good.

Without a doubt. This song has legs, too. People ten years my junior are familiar with it, which is cool.

Goo Goo Dolls- "Iris"

A case of disliking both but actively hating the Goo Goo Dolls at one point, while being at best indifferent to Everything But the Girl.

Hanson- "Mmmbop"

One of the best pure pop songs of the 90s.

While "Wicked Game" is decent, Snoop gets the edge here. Remember when radio-friendly rap actually had grooves and rhymes and wasn't just some retard yelling over a preset Casio beat?

Kris Kross- "Jump"

Jewel only became tolerable during her brief pop excursion a few years back. I couldn't fucking stand her adult-contemporary folk bullshit then and I can't fucking stand it now. I don't like "Jump," but it has the benefit of 1) not being Jewel, and 2) being popular at a time when I watched MTV for hours at a time.

Eve 6- "Inside Out"

Perhaps if I heard that Eve 6 song right now I'd remember it. Even so, there's no way it's beating "Groove Is in the Heart."

Stevie Wonder wannabe > Lilith Fair idol

See my comments re: "Gin and Juice."

Fiona Apple- "Criminal"

Never cared for Fiona Apple, but "Criminal" is one of her better singles. That said, Boyz II Men had a string of GREAT singles, and "End of the Road" was one of them.

Weezer- "Buddy Holly"

U2- "One"

Jay Z- "Can I Get A..."

Blink 182- "Dammit"

Not a fan of the pairings here in this bracket, especially here, as it was an occasion of trying to decide which song I hated less. "Dammit" wins because I can't remember how it goes. No matter how much I try, I'll never forget "All the Small Things."

Blur- "Song 2"

Blur- "Girls and Boys"

Much like with "Loser," I heard "Cherub Rock" again for the first time in a long time. I liked it! Certainly more than the two songs here, so I'll vote for the one that was also on Siamese Dream.

Seal- "Crazy"

Seal- "Kiss From A Rose"

No Doubt- "Spiderwebs"

No Doubt- "Don't Speak"

Green Day- "Basket Case"

Oasis- "Wonderwall"

Both terrific, the latter a better drunken sing-along.

Meredith Brooks- "Bitch"

Bush- "Glycerine"

Oh man, either this or Hanson needs to go all the way.

Blind Melon- "No Rain"

I have absolutely no love for "No Rain." I only sorta kinda remember how "Jealous Again" goes, so obv. it's the better of the two.

2 Legit Bracket

Aerosmith- "Cryin'"

TLC- "Waterfalls"

Not even a contest. Even as Alicia Silverstone and Liv Tyler fueled adolescent masturbation fantasies, I hated, hated, hated this song and band.

Close, this one. I once loved Soundgarden, so I have to go with them.

Skee-Lo- "I Wish"

Salt-N-Pepa- "Shoop"

2Pac- "California Love"

Spice Girls- "Wannabe"

I know this has been addressed, but ugh, Bryan Adams?

Better Than Ezra- "Good"

Beastie Boys- "Sabotage"

Offspring- "Self Esteem"

"Save Tonight," to this today, occasionally gets stuck in my head. Staying power.

Even my mom hates "Walking in Memphis"

Collective Soul- "Shine"

See my comments re: "Save Tonight." Also, nostalgia. BloogSugarSexMagik was the first Parental Advisory-stickered album I ever owned.

Radiohead- "Creep"

Only because Radiohead would do better just two years later.

Outkast- "Rosa Parks"

One of the best songs off one of my all-time favorite albums.

Cracker- "Low"

Pearl Jam- "Evenflow"

As much as I love Camper Van Beethoven, I could never get it up for Cracker. Still, this song's OK.

This one was really tough. I like both, but only one wins, so.

Nada Surf- "Popular"

Faith No More- "Epic"

"Epic," of course, but let it be known I've always hated "Sex and Candy."

Seriously, fuck "November Rain."

You believe Bob Dylan actually sued these guys because this song nicks a line and a bit of the melody from "Tangled Up in Blue"? Whatta fag.

Ben Folds Five- "Brick"

I still like Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?, but I haven't listened to it in a long time.

Fastball- "The Way"

Wonderful song. If they didn't have such shiny, pop production, Gin Blossoms would've been big with the college rock crowd. They just had their fun aping Alex Chilton.

Foo Fighters- "Everlong"

Another fun, drunken sing-along.

Goo Goo Dolls- "Iris" - Don't think I know either song, and I don't think I've even heard of Everything But The Girl, but their name is stupid so Iris gets the vote.

There's no way that you don't know this song.

Ok yes I know it. Just not based off of the title, and I decided to do my voting blind without youtubing anything.

That was a '90s song, right? That Aaliyah song. Shoulda been on the list! The list is a sham!

No, I'm good, actually. This thing will limp along to a conclusion that no one could be happy with regardless of what songs are in the tournament, so this group is as good as any. So while I did consider filling the brackets with Aerosmith and Meat Loaf songs and renaming it "You Can't Have Shit Without A BUTT" last night, I'm glad that cooler heads prevailed.

Toad the Wet Bracket

Veruca Salt- "Seether"

Beck- "Loser"

Goo Goo Dolls- "Iris"

I don't even remember this song, but fuck if I'm voting gor GGD.

Hanson- "Mmmbop"

Kris Kross- "Jump"

Eve 6- "Inside Out"

Even though Mace raps like he's half asleep.

Fiona Apple- "Criminal"

Weezer- "Buddy Holly"

U2- "One"

Jay Z- "Can I Get A..."

Blink 182- "Dammit"

Blur- "Song 2"

Blur- "Girls and Boys"

"Hey, Butthead, is this Pearl Jam?"

Seal- "Crazy"

Seal- "Kiss From A Rose"

No Doubt- "Spiderwebs"

No Doubt- "Don't Speak"

Green Day- "Basket Case"

Oasis- "Wonderwall"

Meredith Brooks- "Bitch"

Bush- "Glycerine"

Blind Melon- "No Rain"

2 Legit Bracket

Aerosmith- "Cryin'"

TLC- "Waterfalls"

I'd have ridden "Angel" by Aerosmith as far as it'd go. Too bad it was from the 80's. Love that song.

"Black Hole Sun" got overplayed.

Don't rip off Queen, and try to explain you didn't by saying "your" beat was faster.

Skee-Lo- "I Wish"

Salt-N-Pepa- "Shoop"

2Pac- "California Love"

Spice Girls- "Wannabe"

Better Than Ezra- "Good"

Beastie Boys- "Sabotage"

Offspring- "Self Esteem"

"Lesser of 2 evils" pick.

Collective Soul- "Shine"

Radiohead- "Creep"

"Mr. Jones" is too whiny.

Outkast- "Rosa Parks"

Cracker- "Low"

Pearl Jam- "Evenflow"

Like this is a surprise.

Nada Surf- "Popular"

Faith No More- "Epic"

Dan Marino is in the video.

Ben Folds Five- "Brick"

Fastball- "The Way"

Foo Fighters- "Everlong"

Don't get all BUTThurt, Kinetic. I wouldn't have chosen any Aerosmith songs, even though I did love them when I was 12. And if you can't appreciate Bat Out of Hell II, that's your problem.

I was going to volunteer to run the 80s thing, because I would run it by the will of the people, but Agent has already vowed to do so. I view this as a negative because I can't help but fear that 75% of the decade's great pop hits will be discarded because "synthesizers are fucking gay," but oh well. I'll still vote for "Fast Car."

Red Hot Chili Peppers- "Under The Bridge": Decent song but my favorite RHCP songs are the Californication singles, ineligible for this exercise.

It depends on if we're considering songs as part of the decade in which they appeared on an album, or the date the singles hit the airwaves. In the latter case, "Scar Tissue" and "Around the World" just made it under the wire for eligibility. The rest of the album's singles are '00s material.

I was very close to volunteering to run this tournament. I'm glad I didn't. Most of us (excluding pbone, Smartly Pretty, maybe Amnesia Glasscock) have some sort of attachment to the music of the '90s and are more likely to get BUTThurt and grouchy when our favorites aren't included. There's a sense of detachment to the music of the '60s, '70s, and to a lesser extent the '80s (this is assuming that the majority of TSM's population is still in their early to mid twenties) that makes it easier to run a tournament of those decades.

This is a tough and thankless job that Kinetic has and I certainly don't envy him. I'd just let the tournament limp to a finish like the '60s one did. No need to start over again because it'd be the same thing all over again. These tournaments are always a great idea in theory but they only manage to make everyone mildly annoyed in execution.

I'm going to wait till the round of 64 to vote....