TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Agent of Oblivion

The Agent of Oblivion question of the day

That'd be cool. I always thought it was lame that other planets had a bunch of moons with cool names (Fuck, even Mars has two moons) and we only get that one moon - And it doesn't even have a cool name, it's just "the moon". Lame.

If 5 moons were suddenly in the sky, I think I'd break my neck trying to get to a phone to call an observatory and call dibs on naming one of them.

Assuming it didn't cause some sorta crazy mass chaos. I read a short story like that once, where it was never ever night on this one planet, and then they had a solar eclipse, so everyone on the planet lost their minds. I can imagine 4 extra moons showing up might be seen as a portent of destruction.

Hells yeah.

What size moons are we talking? Because, as I understand it, the current Moon's size & distance from Earth is integral to allowing life to thrive here. Having 5 moons would necessitate they be much smaller than the current one. How would that impact tides, volcano activity, etc.?

Definitely would be cool to see, but would human life be around to see it?

Nah, I'm saying if all of a sudden it got dark like it normally does, and there were five moons. How fucked up would that be?

Well, the clarification does make a difference as I would have had a similar answer to the first reply. Is there anything in a religious text about multiple moons being part of an Armageddon?

Personally I think it would possibly put more light on the exsistence of God, or an Alien invasion was about to take place. I'll leave it up to everyone else on what they think is more feasible.

What size moons are we talking? Because, as I understand it, the current Moon's size & distance from Earth is integral to allowing life to thrive here. Having 5 moons would necessitate they be much smaller than the current one. How would that impact tides, volcano activity, etc.?

This. Apparently the moon's gravity has some kind of stabilizing influence on Earth which smooths out the wobbles in its rotation and helped bring about life as we know it.

Besides, what would be really weird is if you looked outside one day and there was a whole other planet, like, right there on the horizon. Like on those old Scifi Channel ads that aired when the network first started.

This. Apparently the moon's gravity has some kind of stabilizing influence on Earth which smooths out the wobbles in its rotation and helped bring about life as we know it.

Kind of. The moon actually contributes to the eccentricity of earth's orbit. Also, the Milankovitch cycles show that earth's rotation is really fuckin' wobbly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

Would all 5 moons still reflect sunlight like the current moon does?

That'd make for some amazingly bright nights when all 5 moons were full. Be an excellent time to party. Plus you'd have to imagine such an occurrence would be rare, for all 5 to be full at once.

It would be weird, but kinda cool in a Godzilla movie kind of way.

This question brings back childhood memories of watching "Cosmos" on PBS.

Well, we could go for the Jovian variety with Callisto, Ganymede, Europa, and that wonderful fucking monster Io. Think about Io constantly erupting in the sky. That would be awesome.

Yes. Yes it would. This is taking science into account which we're not supposed to do, but I imagine all five in our night sky at once would be something of a rare event. We'd probably also be a more pagan civilization with no less than six heavenly bodies to worship.